Search

Need help planning trip to Cinque Terre

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2012, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help planning trip to Cinque Terre

Hi,

I had previously posted a question regarding a day trip to CT from Florence, but based on all of your great feedback, I think I have to spend at least 1 night in the CT to have time to enjoy it, so am starting a new thread since plans have changed

The plan was to travel with 20 yr old DD from Venice to Florence, then Rome (12 days total) but now I am considering taking a day or two from Florence or Rome (or both) so we can enjoy the CT. We are going early August (next month) and all my other accommodations are booked. I know it will be really hot and crowded in the cities, so I think CT will be a welcome rest from the cities and it's so beautiful! I am looking to add some more relaxation to our trip

I am considering taking a Frecciabianca train from Venice to Monterosso with one stop in Milano Centrale (6hrs). Stay 1 night, then train to Florence and continue on rest of trip. I would love your feedback on this idea. Another poster mentioned with this train you get reserved seats and only have 1 stop as opposed to the trains that go to CT from Florence, etc. Is this a good way to get to CT? Do any planes fly from Venice to anywhere near CT?

I know it's really late to try to find a hotel in Monterosso. Would love to have a ocean view and/balcony. Since I will have my 20 year old DD with me, do you think the new town or old town would be better? Would love to be close to ocean, restaurants, good views, etc. Would love some suggestions for hotels in Monterosso.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Has any one stayed at La Serra Sul Mare in Monterosso?
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 02:58 PM

You're gonna stay one night in Monterosso, so there's no reason to be too picky as to location and view... We've stayed at a very convenient and accommodating hotel called Albergo Degli Amici. I think you must spend AT LEAST one full day in CT. Take the commuter train that travels between CT's charming towns, get off and enjoy at least some of them.

They had a MASSIVE and devastating flood in Monterosso about 8 months ago, so it would be a good idea to do some research online, though from what I've read, most of the town has been back to normal, not sure about the train, though.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 03:00 PM

My kids stayed in Levanto
http://www.cinqueterreonline.com/levanto.htm
And visted the CT area from there, and were pleased with it. If you can't find something in Monterosso or the other tows. It is on the same train line
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 03:27 PM

For best views try the Porta Roca---easily the best hotel in Monterosso.