Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cinque Terre- the towns are tiny, so where can one find a room or two?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really had my heart staying in the Monterroso town but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Every place I've emailed is completely booked (or doesn't have 2 rooms for our family of 5). We will be there 76 and 7/7 (2 nights).

1- Does anyone recommend a nearby area we should base ourselves in? We will be using the train from Florence.

2- Any hotel recommendations? I really want a break from the apartments.

Any advice?
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 02:05 PM

Stay in Rapallo, a resort town on the sea with plenty of hotels. It's just a short train ride to the Cinque Terre places.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 02:30 PM

It has been a few years since we were there. Once we stayed in Levanto and once in Sestri Levante. Both were quite convenient to access Cinque Terra by train. Can't recommend hotels as the information isn't current.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 02:35 PM

Or La Spezia, a very short train ride.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 02:54 PM

We stayed 2 Garden Hotel.. in Lavanto..easy access to CT, resonable and clean..WIFI, Parking, Breakfast.. Was just fine..
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 03:25 PM

We've stayed in Levanto twice at Villa Margherita, once with a car and the last time via train. We would stay there again. In the 90's we stayed in Rapallo & Santa Margherita. Any of these towns would be a good base for visiting CT.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 04:05 PM
kja

I loved La Torretta in Manarola: http://www.torrettas.com
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 04:30 PM

Try Levanto for sure. I've stayed there twice. It's an easy train ride back to the five villages, one stop north of Monterosso al Mare, but Levanto is still part of the Cinque Terre park (so the train to Levanto is included in the regional rail pass many people buy). Levanto is actually a nice town but it's more of a conventional "beach town" than the five villages.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 05:31 PM

Did you try Villa Adriana in Monterosso? Great views of the water in a villa (with it own chapel), nice breakfast, large rooms, etc.
http://www.villaadriana.info/
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I checked V illa Adriana and they have no availability. I'll check the other suggestions.
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

No availability now I'm starting to consider visiting the cinque terre as a day trip from Florence. I did see that viator offers a trip. It's a long day and not what I had hoped but-- it's starting to look like it'll have to do. Question- we will already be in Florence for four days (planned to do day trips to Pisa and the viator trip to Tuscany too). Will we tire of the city being there 6 days???
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 08:08 PM

Nothing in Levanto?
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 08:29 PM
kja

> No availability

Does your family configuration allow you to split into 2 groups staying in different hotels? Have you considered options for changing hotels after the first night?

> now I'm starting to consider visiting the cinque terre as a day trip from Florence

What is your reason for visiting the Cinque Terre? If your goal is to walk one or more of the trails, a day trip would not IME be a good option, but maybe you have a different purpose.

> Will we tire of [Florence] being there 6 days?

That really depends on you. I spent 5 nights there, and wish I had had more.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 03:05 AM

Have you tried Villa Clelia in Levanto?

http://www.villaclelia.it/levanto.html

We stayed there a few years ago and found it very pleasant and easy walk to the train station.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 04:32 AM

I can't make a specific recommendation but have you tried www.venere.com? I like them because they often have smaller hotels not on other booking sites and you can specify in your search number of people and rooms.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 07:20 AM

I do not know what your budget is, but I just checked Excelsior in Rapallo and they have availability staring at 227 E per night per room.
We stayed there last October and it was wonderful. Easy to train to Cinque Terre.

http://www.excelsiorpalace.it/en/
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 07:40 AM

Stay in Sestri Levanto or Moneglia which doesnt fall in the cinque terre. Then take the train to Monterosso al Mare and hike to Corniglia where you can have lunch. En route we stopped for a much needed cool drink and a beer sitting looking out the window of the taverna across to Corniglia. Then hop on the train after lunch to the last 2 towns. We took a boat on the way back instead of the train. Maybe stop off at Monterosso al Mare to see that and hop on a train back to where you are staying. The train ticket includes all the stops if you take that option. Corniglia was my favourite.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 08:13 AM

There are several bigger hotels in Santa Margherita Ligure. And it's on the train line to the CT.

Since you're having difficulty, do use a site like venere.com and double check the findings on a map and at www.tripadvisors.com.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 06:32 PM

Cinque Terre is magical and a must. Having been to Florence (which I loved) twice, the diversion from the city and enjoying the beauty and solace of the sea is wonderful. The train system there is very plentiful and easy. If you can't find lodging anywhere in the CT, I'd look for a room at ANY of the seaside towns North. One day there is too short. Stay the night and enjoy the charm of this area after all the day-trippers have left. You won't regret it...I promise.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 06:34 PM

If you need further urging, please check out my extensive and long report that outlies my trip and recommendations in annoying (ha!) detail. I hope you will be sold! Look for it under my screen name adventureseeker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -