Need help on hotel pricing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a bit confused about how hotels are priced in Europe. Look at this site for an example:

http://www.lacalcina.com/HTML/en/calcina_prezzi_en.html

Are these prices per person or per room (regardless of number of people in the room).

And does the word single and double refer to how many beds there are (I'm assuming each bed sleeps 2)

We are traveling to Europe in May and there are 2 couples going. We want to spend some of the nights in separate rooms and some in the same room (to save money). Venice is one of the places where we want to share a room. I've emailed Pensione La Calcina to clarify prices but wanted a general opinion on the matter.

Thanks
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 05:17 PM

Prices are per person

Single-meaning for 1 person
Double-meaning for 2 people
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 05:18 PM

The prices are per room. Looks like the rates are for either single (one person) or double (two people). If you need a quad room (four people) you need to ask the specific hotel (you did this already). They may or may not have quad rooms and you will need to reserve two separate rooms.

A single bed is what it states: for one person like a twin bed. A double bed is for two people.

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 05:31 PM

Two different answers here... I always thought the price is per room. The room for single is different than the one for double.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 06:14 PM

Clearly per room. Would make <b>NO</b> sense for one person to pay 86 euro for a single room, while two people to pay 200 euro for a double room.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 06:40 PM

I am having the same trouble because some sites DO say price per room, where many more say price per person. They even list the price for the extra bed if you want to add the 3rd person to a double room. And since I am taking 3 teenager kids, I run into the trouble of just how many rooms do I need to book? From what I can figure, that puts me in a 2 doubles with an extra bed charge. It can add up quick and seems confusing when reviewing all the options. When we go to most US destinations we get a room with 2 queen beds and we all share the one room, at a room rate. Easy.

So for now, I am emailing the hotels I am interested in and asking their advice.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 06:49 PM

Yes, we need triple rooms too. So what most hotels offer is one twin or double with an extra bed. Some places will charge for the extra bed depending on the age of the third person (usually a child).

The best thing to do is to ask the hotel as it depends on their policies.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:52 AM
ira

Hi W,

Your rates at La Calcina are per room, with bkfst.

Single room is for one person.
Double room is for two persons.

Some hotels offer double room and twin room. The former is one double bed, the latter is two twin beds.

If you want a room for 4 people, you will need a quad.

Some hotels will provide an extra bed in a room (if there is space) and quote a rate for the extra bed.