Need help in preparing itinerary for Scotland trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are visiting UK for 6 days in Nov 2nd week and we think we can spend 4 days in london and 2 days to visit one of Scotland trips. I am not able to decide which place to visit and what to see. We want to start from London on a train trip early morning, spend that night in Edinburg or some nice place and return next day evening back to London.

Any help in preparing itinerary for this scotland trip from London? Will it be too cold as we have 3 yr old with us. Or is it better to stay put in London itself?

Thanks in advance,
Sreekanth
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 05:33 AM

I that's all the time you've got, orget doing anything but Edinburgh. The days are short. There's plenty to do there without ever leaving the city..
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you sheila for your advise.

could you please tell me what are main places within the city Edinburgh? I will have 2 half days to go out.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 08:18 AM

It's all on here

but if you email me, I'll send you it all in a Word document.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, I will email you right away.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 11:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
schallam: Edinburgh is a FABULOUS city. You will love it - and there is no need for a "touring itinerary" since you won't have enough time to go outside of the city.

BUT - you don't say where you are coming from. If it is long haul (from Asia or North America for example) you will be VERY tired when you get to London. If this is your first visit do not think you will have 4 full days in London if you also go to Edinburgh.

I am not trying to talk you out of going to Edinburgh - it is wonderful. But just giving you some things to think about.

Your first day in London - especially with a small child - you will be very tired and probably jet lagged so don't count on seeing or doing much the 1st day.

The the last day you have to get from Edinburgh back to London and fly out. (It would be best if you flew from Edinburgh directly to the airport you are leaving from.) Or if you do go back into London - the last day is spent packing and getting to the airport.

So when you actually look at things - your 6 days in the UK really only gives you about 4 days free for sightseeing.

So just keep that in mind - 2 days is fine for visiting Edinburgh - 2 days is not nearly enough time to see much in London.

But - if you are just coming in from the continent, you won't have the jet lag or long flights to worry about so it would be easier.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

janisj -

Thank you for your advise. Actually that 6 days excludes travel days. We will reach London on 11/8 and return back on 11/14.

9th, 10th and 11th, we want to see London.

12th morning we want to go to Edinburgh and return on 13th evening, so that we can take rest that night and go to airport 14th morning. Our return flight is around 1:00pm, so plenty of time for packing and reaching airport.

Do you still think this will be too much to do with a baby of 3 yrs old? I am also concerned, thus posted in here.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 01:50 PM
CU

Why not take a cheap flight to Edinburg.
I spent one day in Edinburg and saw all that was to be seen by taking the hop on hop off bus. Did the full circuit first and then noted what I wanted to see and went back around and got off here and there.Had plenty of time to tour the castle even and call to see a friend who was working there. Lovely city. Its a long long train journey.
Did the same thing when I visited London. Did the circuit first and noted places I wanted to see more of and did that on the second circuit.