Need help: how to pack for Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Switzerland for 9 days from June 24th to July 4th. I'll be up to Jungfrau among other places. Then I'll go to England from 4th to 14th for July.
I understand it's summer time but then if you go up high in the mountain will it be cold? I'm always cold very easily.
So I need help how to pack and what kind of clothes I need.
Thank you very much!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 07:26 PM

Let me put it this way, we had a snowball fight in thick fresh snow on top the Jungfrau on July 13 summer before last. It was sunny but DAMN cold!!!
Layers! Sweater, windbreaker, hat, gloves.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 05:13 AM
jmw

But Patrick, isn't that a lot of stuff to lug around the rest of Switzerland which might be in the high 80's (or 90+)like last June? Depending upon your budget, Susie, wouldn't it be fun to buy what you need if and when you need it? Just a thought.

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 05:37 AM
MGB

We were in Murren and on top of the Schlithorn in July a couple years ago (actually end of July). At the Murren level it was warm, we wore shorts when it was sunny, slacks if not. On top it was a sunny day, we went up early. We did wear shorts, but also had on fleece jackets. I am usually always cold, but as long as I had heavy socks and something on my arms I am okay. We also took fleece gloves (packed them in the pockets of the jacket)and wore them initially. This way we had a jacket for evenings in other places which are sometimes cool even in the summer. We were also in Normandy, and especially late evenings, I needed a light jacket. Just in case, I would take a thin turtle neck to put under something in case you are really cool. You can always go to the restroom and take it off if it gets warm.
Layering is the best way to go and be flexible. Good socks are important if you plan to do any extensive walking/hiking. Take one versatile sweater too.

We went to Chamonix on another trip in September. On that trip I also packed a wool headband (again in a pocket). It was really cold on top there and I was glad I had it to cover my ears.

Have a wonderful time, the Jungfrau is one of my favorite areas and in fact, we are going back this Sept.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 09:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This was the Lausanne/Vevey/Montreux area last summer but there was an unusual heatwave (92+F) and I had to go & buy a couple pairs of shorts!
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 10:10 AM

We traveled to Switzerland and Austria last year in mid July. The weather was comfortable but up high in Gonergrat near the Matterhorn it was snowing and there was ice on the ground. A light jacket and a sweater would be good and also a crushable hat that can protect you from unexpected weather. Don't forget the umbrella it was raining lightly in Austria and Switzerland a few days. Layering is definitely the way to go.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 06:53 PM

Good evening, Susie
As forementioined layering is the way.
might a light day pack , if what you
have layered is too much and also would
suggest a light poncho for the possible
showers...Richard of LaGrange Park, Il.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 08:59 AM

We were in Jungfrau last July. I don't think we ever put shorts on. We wore jeans every day. It was rainy and cool for 2 days. We hiked around Murren and wore jeans, t'shirt, and rain jacket. It some points of the day the sun came out and we took our jackets off, but we were on/off all day. One the day we went up to the Jungfrau, we wore the same but added a sweat shirt. Don't forget the sun screen. We didn't pack winter hats or mits, and I'm always cold also. I just kept my hands in pockets. The kids went tobagganing and they wished they had mit though.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 09:52 AM

I don't get the question about, "but isn't that a lot of stuff to lug around?". Not really, I carry a hooded windbreaker that folds into its own pocket and weighs almost nothing but takes up about 6 square inches of space. I take a knit ski cap -- which has saved my ears from frostbite on a lot of summer trips to the mountains. And I'd never go on any major trip without a sweater. What is your suggestion? Just not to go out in the cold but stay inside because you don't want to take the appropriate wear? Wouldn't you miss out on a lot if you don't take the appropriate layers for a fun and successful trip?