Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

need help getting from cinque terre to genoa

Dec 16th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

We are planning a trip to Portofino and ending up with what I hoped would be three nights in the cinque terre. My husband is in charge of air. The best connections has us leaving Genoa at 7:25 am. I think the first train out of cinque terre starts at 6:30 am. How long will it take to get from Vernazza to Genoa? Would a private driver be possible or do we need to stay in Genoa the last night? (This looks to me like what we might have to do). My sweetheart want to approve the air tomorrow. Sorry this post is sooo long. What do you all recommend?
Dec 16th, 2004, 02:14 PM
GAC

Looks like the first train out of Vernazza for Genova Piazza Principe leaves at 4:43 a.m. and arrives at 6:45, which would not give you enough time to take a taxi to the airport for a 7:25 a.m. departure.

Your choice is to hire a taxi or limosine for a VERY early morning departure from Vernazza, or (much better choice) spending the last night in Genova.
Dec 16th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks GAC. Do you have any suggestions where to stay in Genoa that is perhaps close to the airport? We could take a late train out of Vernazza so we could spend the whole day in CT.
Dec 16th, 2004, 02:31 PM
GAC

There are a bunch of hotels right by Piazza Principe. I believe that there is also a hotel right by the airport, but I'm note sure.
Dec 16th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, GAC!! I will try to check these out. Anyone have any recommendations for me??
Dec 16th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

More questions!!--What station does the train from Vernazza come into? Is there public transportation from the station to the Sheraton. I have found the Sheraton that is close to the airport. Is this far from the train station? Does anyone know if there is an airport shuttle from the Sheraton? How far is Piazza Principe from the airport?
Dec 16th, 2004, 10:35 PM

The main train station and most used one is Genoa Principe. That is the one that the trains from the Cinque Terre (Vernazza) and others come into. When I was there 2 months ago, the station was under major renovation, scaffolding, etc. so not very attractive facade. However, there are plenty of hotels around and certainly near the port, which is within walking distance to the Principe station.

If you are referring to the Sheraton at the Genoa airport, then you are right there. The hotel's shuttle is free so no need to pay. I would check with their concierge to find out the daily schedule. Likewise, you can catch the 100 bus (info below) from the Principe train station to get out there.

There is an airport bus called the Volabus Linea 100 (http://www.airport.genova.it/eng/bustrenotaxi.php) that costs 3,00 euros and goes RT from the Cristoforo Colombo airport (Genoa airport) with stops at both the Principe and Brignole train stations. It departs every 30 minutes, beginning at 6:15 am and takes only 30 mins to go to/from the airport and runs until 10:15 pm daily. The stop/pick-up point at the Principe train station is the Piazza Acquaverde.

Alternatively, a taxi from the city center to the airport will cost you ~ 20 euros and takes 15 minutes.
Dec 17th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Huitres, Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I am soooo grateful for this site. When I cannot find info or am short on time, you all have been GREAT!
Happy travels!
Dec 18th, 2004, 09:08 PM

Buon viaggio! You'll have a great time.