Need help choosing base in Bavaria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would appreciate any recommendations for a "base" town in Bavaria for 3 nights next June-we will have a car. Garmisch sounds good as does Fussen, etc. So many choices!!
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 10:48 AM

Here's one of my postings from back in 1999. All these years later that little pension in Hohenfurch remains one of my favorite spots in Europe:

I took Wes Fowler's advice and stayed in Hohenfurch on the Romantic Road and found it to be my favorite stop on our recently concluded Bavarian trip. The hotel is the Schonach-Hof and it's a real bargain. Our family of 4 stayed in a room with modern plumbing, TV, a kitchenette (stove and refrig) for only 150 DM per night. (Ask for the Pfaffenwinkl room). The restaurant was excellent and reasonably priced. No one in the place spoke English, but we had no problems communicating. In fact, the innkeeper and his wife sat down with us at dinner and pointed-out places of interest on the maps and brochures they gave us. We even had a friendly argument about who was a better soccer team, Bayern Munchen or Munchen 1860. I never heard of either one but that didn't stop us.
Hohenfurch is only a few minutes from the picturesque Wieskirche and another beautiful church in Rottbuch. The Royal Castles and Fussen are about 20 minutes away, while Oberammergau, Garmisch and Linderhof are also a short drive away. Landsberg is about 10 miles North. Steingaden is to the South. Although we didn't have time to stop there, I have since read that it's one of the "unknown" wonders of Bavaria. It's a walled city with narrow streets and quaint shops, but without the tourists.
The hotel is only a couple country blocks away from the Romantic Road. The nearby Jet gas station had the cheapest Benzin price in all Bavaria at only 1.40 DM per liter. (approx $3.50 per gallon).

For more help, do a search on Fodor's seeking Wes Fowler's itineraries in Bavaria. The guy was a genius in planning sightseeing trips.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 04:11 PM

Good advice from Zeus regarding Wes. His words are golden. Also, be sure to check out Bavaria Ben's
noncommercial site at: http://www.bensbauernhof.com. He's contributed much to this board.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 04:25 PM

If you want to be a bit further south than what has bveen suggested in the other postings, closer to Salzburg, Berchtesgaden and close enough to Munich to go there by train in about 1 hour, I suggest Prien am Chiemsee. The Chiemsee is a large lake, in it is an island with one of King Ludwig II )of Neuschbwanstein fame) palaces called Herrenchiemsee. There are several good hotels along the lake. From Prien, Berchtesgaden is about 1 1/2 hrs by car, on a very scenic road. Time by train is about the same. Salzburg is less than an hour by train or car. There are several mountains accessible by ski and gondola lifts in the summer within one hour's drive.

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 10:27 AM

" Steingaden is to the South. Although we didn't have time to stop there, I have since read that it's one of the "unknown" wonders of Bavaria. It's a walled city with narrow streets and quaint shops, but without the tourists."

You must have Steingaden mixed up with another town. We spent two nights there and it is certainly not an "unkown wonder" nor is it walled. It's main claim to fame is being home to the Weiskirche (sp?) which shouldn't be missed.

Curious
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 11:04 AM

curious...I think Zeus was referring to Landsberg as being the walled town and unknown to tourists, not Steingaden.

If so, he's correct about that, I believe.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 11:22 AM

It would be much easier to help you chose a place to base yourself if we knew what sort of things you want to do and places you want to visit. Since you mentioned Garmisch and Fuessen I assume you want to do most of your sightseeing in that area. Is this correct?

If you want to do a lot in Munich then these towns might be a bit far out.

You might also consider Oberammergau..but again, knowing what you want to do will be most helpful.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Topman-we will be spending 2 nights in Bacharach, 1-2 nights in Rothenburg, 2 in Salzburg, 3 in Hallstatt, 2 in Munich. Our main interests are beautiful scenery, some of the castles, pretty villages, restful times. We will have a car.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 10:49 AM

ttt, would like to see some more responses. I have similar situation.

Thanks.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 11:13 AM

Yes, I was referring to Landsberg, but I can see how Curious got confused...Heck, I wrote it 5 years ago. I'm so much more adept at writingh now...

Anyway, you might want to see the following for a nice itinerary through Germany:
http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com...nyjournal.html

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 12:14 PM

For what it's worth, and after a great deal of research on this board and elsewhere, this is how I've decided to base ourselves for our Bavaria/Austria holiday...

6 nights near Seefeld (Leutasch) to reach the Garmisch region of Germany and the Tirol area of Austria.

6 nights near Berchtesgaden (Marktschellenberg) to reach that area as well as Salzburg, Salzkammergut and the Grossglockner.

I've found ferienwohnungs that are in the heart of the area we're interested in, are quiet and scenic, yet are close enough to highways so that we can easily range out on daytrips.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 05:11 AM

Wow, TuckH, years ago we stayed in Berchtesgaden and in Seefeld. You've selected gorgeous areas. I'm envious. J.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:02 AM

We just got back from the area and spent a few days in Bavaria. We spent 2 nights in Lermoos, Austria; this is very close to Neuschwanstein and Garmisch (don't miss Linderhof Palace.) It's also only about 40 miles from Innsbrook, but an hour or 2 away from Salzburg and Munich. Perhaps this would be a good base for these 2 palaces and Garmisch and you could find something else for Munich/ Salzburg. We stayed at Gasthof Rose in Lermoos and had a very pleasant time there. Lermoos is a beautiful ski village at the foot of the Zugspitz and only 30 minutes or so from Garmisch.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, MzPossum, I'll investigate Lermoos--had not considered it. (I love your screen name--made me laugh)