Search

Southern Germany to Italy?

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southern Germany to Italy?

Hey all,
My wife and I are visiting a friend in Meersburg Germany (on Lake Constance/Bodensee) at the end of May. We might want to leave him and go somewhere else for 2-3 days, maybe Venice. What is the best/cheapest way to travel? I have seen the Eurail passes but they seem to be a couple hundred dollars per person each way. I'd appreciate any advice. We are also open to other destination suggestions in that area, although I think we would like to visit Italy.
Thanks
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:40 AM
ira

Hi big,

You can see train schedules, prices and buy tickets at www.bahn.de

Old May 10th, 2007, 02:29 PM

You'll love all the towns around Lake
Constance and don't forget to visit
Mainau Island, an island filled with so many flowers you'll run out of film (www.mainau.de). My husband and I enjoyed it so much we are going back next year.

Cheaper to buy separate train tickets than a Erail pass.

If you like small towns I would rent a very inexpensive car and head east
to Fussen and Mittenwald.

In Fussen you can get a lakeside hotel facing the Alps and walk around the lake and forest. One can also walk or bike into town then visit Neuchwanstein. There is a lake near the one of castle on can swim in after site seeing.

Mittenwald is quite but charming and an outdoor concert hall and has excellent restaurants.

If you prefer a charming, historic midsize city with lots of quaint villages nearby
head to Salzburg.

If you like larger city than it's Munich hands down. Been there 3 times
and going back in July and December.

Happy to provide you more information.

Next up would be Salzburg is absolutely fantastic

Fussen is a charming town with a few hotels on a lake facing the Alps.
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:30 PM

Read NancyAnn's post and wonder if she can expound on places to stay in Meersburg, Mittenwald, Fussen, or Munich. We are heading to Southern Germany and Austria (also Switzerland) in late June and these places are on our list to see. Thought they might interest bigbry41 as well.
Old May 11th, 2007, 03:40 AM

Here is list of hotels, many located on or near water and with balconies, which is important if your husband smokes cigars and you need a place to cool off because your hotel has no AC.

Meersburg- Gasthof zum Baren
Lots of wine travens nearby. Try a sparkling red wine.

Fussen - Hotel Alpenblick, 3 stars Offers rooms and apartments. Many people park in front of the hotel during the day so it can be very busy out front. Don't worry because the crowds leave in the evening. Wait to see the view, especially when the sun sets.

Mittenwald - Hotel Post
Centrally located and offers views of the Alps. Nice patio out back.

Wouldn't bother going to Garmish-
Partrnkirchen but instead would visit
the resort area of Lake Tegernsee on my way to Munich.

Tegernsee - 90 minute senic drive
south of Munich. The upscale resort town of Tegernsee has lots of shops and restaurants. A ferry departs daily for trips around the lake. Famous brewery nearby.

Stay at the Dorint Sofitel, technicaly in Rottach-Egern. 5 star air-conditioned hotel that offers rooms with balconies and a huge pool.

The town of Bad Wiessee on the other side of the lake is much more relaxed
and smaller. Feel in love with the Hotel Seegarten, an old fashioned lakeside, German hotel with lots of light wood paneling. It has a VERY GOOD restaurant and is cheaper than the Dorint but doesn't have AC.

Munich - We have stayed at the Hilton
outside town, which is reasonably priced. My husband and I like the Kempenski when celebrating our anniversary.

The worlds best and most beautiful marzipan is sold at Sama-Sama in Munich. These marzipan pralines are works of art. Twice a year I have them shipped to me and my dinner guests marvel at their beauty and taste.

Salzburg - Hotel Sacher- 5 Star - AC
So much to see and do in this area you really should rent a car.

By the way Austrian families celebrate Easter with a Easter tree, hung with hand painted eggs. There is a store in Salzburg that sells thousands of these and really must be seen. If you are considering buying some bring a tuppeware container to pack them in when you travel back home.

St. Wolfgang about 10 miles outside Salzburg makes for a great base camp if your looking for a quiet place to relax after site seeing. Hotel Weisses Rossl
is another 5 star hotel, with outstanding service and another drop dead view. No AC

Where are you going in Switzerland?

Hope all of the above helps.

Nancy

Old May 11th, 2007, 08:59 AM

For odyssey4: In Münich you might try Hotel Uhland:

http://www.hotel-uhland.de/enwelcome.html

It is a small, family-run hotel in a residential neighborhood about a 10-minute walk from the Hauptbahnhof; 20 minutes from the Marienplatz. It is an old mansion and every room is different, but we had a very large (as in huge!) triple room (technically a double with a sofa-bed) on the first floor, at the top of the stairs.

They have free parking.