Munich, Salzburg, & Garmisch

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flying into Munich with my wife for 3 days before heading up to Kassel to visit my wife's grandmother. I am looking for hotel and restaurant recommendations for Munich, Salzburg, and Garmisch-Partenkirchen. We will be driving a car. In Munich we are looking for a cheaper hotel around city center. Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Salzberg willing to spend up to $250/US each for the night.

Also, what is the best route to take driving from Garmisch to Salzburg? Is Eagle's Nest worth the side trip? Thanks!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed at the Mercure Muenchen City Center in Munich?
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 08:00 AM

I usually stay in the Hotel Anna in Munich and regarding Salzburg, I usually stay in Anif rather than Salzburg itself. In Anif I can recommend the Hotel Friesacher or the Schlosswirt zu Anif. The restaurant in the Schlosswirt is great.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 08:30 AM

We just got back from Germany a week ago. In Munich we stayed at the Mercure Muenchen City Center hotel. It is in a nicer neighborhood then the ones by the train station. Just a block from Marienplatz. I highly recommend this hotel. The only drawback was they charge 13E each for breakfast, so we never ate there. There is a nice cafe across the street for contl breakfast.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:01 AM
JN

Jaymeyer--Welcome to the Fodors board. It's quite different from Badgermaniac's :=)

A Munich budget hotel that get good reviews here include the Hotel Uhland, near the Octoberfest grounds--10-15 minute walk or short bus ride (two stops on #58) from the Hauptbahnhof (http://www.hotel-uhland.de/enwelcome.html).

Salzburg is a great place to visit. We love the old town, (Altstadt in German). For location, you can't beat the Blaue Gans. Their Karajan Rooms are bigger and nice sized for two people. A cheaper place that gets great reviews is the Weisse Taube (http://www.weissetaube.at/e_rooms.htm) We plan to stay there for the first time this fall, but know and love the location.

One way to find out more options on this site is to type, for example, "Munich hotels" in the search box and you'll get tons of threads. Another great site for hotel reviews is www.tripadvisor.com. YOu can type in "Salzburg Hotels" for example, and it will list them in a ranking according to reviewer comments and citations in travel guides.

Looking for good restaurants? If you like traditional German fare, Munich has three great ones near the Marienplatz: Hackerhaus; Andechser am Dom and Donisl. Salzburg has a nice, more upscale place called Stiftskeller St. Peters. They also have dinner concerts that are fun.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:19 AM

I always suggest the Amba in Munich, right across from the train station. The Uhland is cheaper, but over near the Oktoberfest grounds w/some seedy joints nearby. Although there is a bus stop right on the corner.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 03:04 PM

RE: Route Garmisch to Salzburg

The fast route would be Garmisch Route B-23/Autobahn A-95 to Exit 9 (Sindelsdorf). From there the B-472 to Bad Toelz, Miesbach, Irschenberg. From there the A-8 Autobahn to Salzburg.

En route you could take a side trip from Exit 106 (Bernau) to Prien and the boat landings in Stock, to take the boat to the Herrenchiemsee island palace of King Ludwig (of Neuschwanstein fame). Then return to the A-8 and go on to Salzburg. That would add about 3 hours to your trip.

Or, comimg from Prien, you could cross underneath the A-8 and continue on the B-305 to Grassau, Unterwoessen, Reit im Winkel and from there, still on the B-305, which becomes the Deutsche Alpenstrasse to Schneizlreuth, Berchtesgaden, Salzburg. You enter B'gdn at the RR station, from where the road to the Obersalzberg and Eagle's Nest branches off. (See below)

This route is quite scenic. It adds about 1 hour to the 2 1/2 hrs straight Garmisch Salzburg shot.

A third routing would be Garmisch, Mittenwald on the B-2 and Zirl on the (Austrian) B-177. From there on the Austrian A-12 east to exit 59, (Oberaudorf). From there on the Austrian B-172 to Walchsee, Koessen and Reit im Winkel. Then see above. This is the most scenic of the three options. Allow about 4 hours for a leisurely trip.

One cautionary note: For using the Austrian Autobahns, even the short distance on the A-8 from the German border to Salzburg, you will need an user's decal, for about $10, valid for 10 days, I believe. Available at any gas station BEFORE you get on the autobahn.

Re: Eagle's Nest - On a clear day you have a grat view from the Kehlstein Haus (the actual name of the place). The last stretch, from the Obersalzberg to the elevator to the top can involve quite a wait during the peak holiday season. You have to take special busses to make the steep climb. An alternative, also with a great view, is the Jenner. You use a a gondola lift to get to its top. To get tothe lift station, follow the signs from the B'gadn. RR station to the Koenigsee. Just before the K., on your left is the parking lot for the gondola lift.

Again, to enjoy the views you need a clar day. Incidentally, to get from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden, on a day trip, takes about 1 hour or less.

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 03:21 PM

Hi If you want my review of Hotels we stayed at in Switzerland and Austria, search "Home Sweet Home". We had a good 3 star hotel in Austria. Cheers Pawsha
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 03:22 PM

Oops! I Meant to say "In Salzburg"
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 03:24 AM
ira

Hi J,

If you are willing to spend somewhat less on accommodations in Salzburg, I can highly recommend www.ammoos.at

We recently spent 4 nights there in a private suite with balcony for about 52E/nite dbl w/bkfst.

It is located in a residential area on the edge of Salzburg, about 15 min by bus from the city center, has private parking and is run by two very nice, friendly and helpful people.

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

First off, thanks for feedback on the Mercure, Sue. I booked a reservation this morning.

Treplow - thanks for the great info on the roads. I'm focusing on options 2 & 3. Do you think the scenic route (Option 3) is worth the extra time to drive?

To everyone: Is Garmisch-Partenkirchen worth a night's stay, or is there another town in between Neuschwanstein & Salzburg? Thanks for all your help!

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 08:01 AM

I like to stay near the main train station in Munich in 2* or 3* hotels. I like the Drei Lowen and the Uhland. The Uhland has a couple of parking place in the back. The other hotels you will need to leave your car in one of the nearby public garages. The prices will run about $120 Euros for those two.

For restaurants, in Munich I like three in the area around Marienplatz, The Augustiner, Andechs am Dom (behind the Faruenkirche) and the Ratskeller (under the glockenspiel rathaus).
In Salzburg I second the recommendation for St Peters Stiftskeller. They have ben there since about 1300 and they have gotten the food right with that much practice. It is right behind the Sound of Music cemetary were the Von Trapps hid from the Nazis in the movie.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:22 PM

We stayed in Mittenwald on our way to Salzburg area. Beautiful little town. Would loved to been able to stay longer.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:28 PM

I used Priceline and got the Le Meridien Munich fo 100 US a night in December of 2005. Great hotel and convenient location.

I also like Hotel Anna.

I based in Salzburg and daytripped to Garmisch and that worked well for me.
Hotel Stadtkrug is well located and runs good specials and my stay there was pleasant. We paid 90E per night for single rooms with breakfast and doubles were 140. This was in high season (Christmas Markets in ful swing).

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 05:42 PM

Why don't you "play it by ear": If the weather is good (clear mountains), I definitely recommend Option 3. Walchsee, en route, would be a good place to stop for lunch, or the Peternhof, about 4km before you get to to Reit im Winkel. For the latter, after Koessen, watch for the signs on the left. It's a major resort, with good food and great views from the terrace.

If you can hack it in terms of time, Garmisch would be worth an overnight stay, if the weather is good. A trip by cable car or cog railway to the top of the Zugspitze (Germany's highest mountain)is fun and offers great views.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Last June I was in Salzburg and stayed at the Hotel-Pension Scheck (www.hotel-scheck.com). It's located in a very nice residential area a bit s.e. of the old town at Rennbahnstrasse 11. You can walk to the center in about 15-20 minutes or you can take a bus (Finanzamt stop). The price was very reasonable for Salzburg (65 Euro for a single, incl. breakfast and a large private bathroom with a TUB. If the weather is nice, you can eat breakfast outside on the patio). They have a small parking lot adjacent to the pension for which there is no charge.

I also visited Eagle's Nest. If the weather is nice there is an outstanding view from the summit. If you are interested in WWII history and/or the rise of Naziism in Germany, I would also recommend the museum at the base near the parking area.

In Munich, I stayed at the Hotel Deutsches Theater on Landwehrstrasse, a few blocks south of the train station and within walking distance of the Rathausplatz. The rooms were simple, the price was very reasonable (63 euro for a single) and they had the best breakfast of anywhere I stayed in my two week trip.) I didn't have a car while in Munich (nor would I recommend one) so I don't know about parking.

Old Jun 8th, 2007, 02:52 PM

A really good hotel in Garmisch-Partenkirchen is the Partenkirchener Hof. http://www.reindls.de/english/index.html. The english site looks a bit poor, but it is quite upscale. Definitely drive through the mountains from Garmisch to Salzburg and donīt take the Autobahn. Linderhof is a small castle of Ludwig II (his largest is Neuschwanstein), it is situated in a really beautiful valley just north of Garmisch. Try to climb at least one mountain while you're in the Alpes, many are really easy. And as we put it in Bavaria: " Ein Gipfel ist ein Gipfel ist ein Gipfel" (A summit is a summit is a summit). For instance, if your in average shape, the Notkarspitze just north of Garmisch is one of the most popular peaks of the area. Donīt go to the alpes only to stay in the villages. Up up you must.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 05:44 AM

We spent two nights 6/2 and 6/3/07 at the Mercure Muenchen City Center at 90 Euro/night reserved direct on Accor Hotels website. This is a 4-star hotel with huge room, huge bathroom and A/C (not so prevalent in Munich). It is just a block and 1/2 from the "side" of the main train station. See TripAdvisor for great photos - rooms are exactly as portrayed.

We also spent 5/18/07 at Kings Hotel Center on Marrstrasse for just 80 Euro direct through their web site (www.kingshotels.com) - a 3-star with NO A/C. This would be my choice if you don't need A/C. It's equally spotlessly clean, but not the US-look chain hotel: small lobby with wood paneling - the room was European standard size (smallish), the staff professional and helpful, and the street on which it's located is nicer - still just 2 blocks or so from main train station. Both hotels had parking garages nearby. Rates I listed did not include breakfast, which we enjoyed having at the numerous pastry shops around and in the train station, which is also where you'll arrive by S-Bahn from the Airport unless you've rented a car at the Airport). ENJOY!
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 05:12 PM

To everyone: Is Garmisch-Partenkirchen worth a night's stay, or is there another town in between Neuschwanstein & Salzburg? Thanks for all your help!

HOTEL HILLEPRANDT....rooms 1 or 2 both great. Located in Garmisch. I recommend the area as a good place to stay and explore.

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 04:36 AM
ira

Hi TD,

Fuessen is between Salzburg and Neuchwanstein. So is Reutte.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -