Notices

2 or 3 nights in Fussen

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 or 3 nights in Fussen

It seems that everywhere I read people are only staying 2 nights in Fussen. If we're driving from Rothenburg on the Romantic Road I'm figuring we would arrive in Fussen probably around 4pm or later. That gives us time to visit Fussen and Wies Church on that day. I wanted to do the castles, visit Oberramergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, the Zugsitze, anything else of interest, wouldn't we need 3 nights and 2 full days for that or can we do it all in 2 nights and 1 1/4 day. Please advise. If we can get away with staying 2 nights then it will give longer to visit the country around Salzburg.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 05:07 AM

Topping
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Suze1 - The region you are speaking about is one of my favorites in all of Europe. I would go for three nights just because Füssen makes a perfect base for forays into the nearby countryside.

As you mentioned, Oberammergau and Garmisch are nearby, throw in a visit to the Ettal Abbey and Linderhof which are in the same corner and you have a whole day's worth of activity there. May I suggest you drive from Füssen toward Reutte, then to the Plansee, then take the Linderhoferstrasse (St2060) through the lovely countryside to Linderhof Castle. If you're there in the Summer the fountains alone are well worth the trip. A tour of the Castle itself isn't necessary because the grounds are the reall attraction, but even so, Ludwig's special dining table mounted on an elevator is worth seeing. You can continue on the same road to Oberammergau. See cheese-making and woodcarving. Shop at Kathe Wohlfahrt for Christmas stuff. Then take the Ettal road for a brief visit to the Abbey on the same road. You have to try the local beer brewed by the monks. I brought home a 5 liter mini-barrel of the stuff. Tremendous. Continue down that same winding, thrilling alpine highway into Garmisch-Partenkirchen. You can do more shopping here or see the site of the 1936 Winter Olympics with the intimidating ski jump towers looming overhead. By all means have dinner that night at Fraundorfers. It's a bit touristy but you can a nice little dinner show and humongous portions. You'll end up making friends with other tourists from around the world acting kooky.

On another day you can see the two Royal Castles at Schwangau and afterward journey up the Romantic Road apiece to see Wieskirche. If you still have time, farther up the road is the town of Landsberg. They have a number of nice restaurants here nestled inside the Old Town. We love the Goggl Hotel restaurant. In the Downtown you can many of the same souvenirs you might overpay for in Munich - things like Steins, cuckoo clocks, walking sticks, hats, Dirndls, and foodstuffs. Don't just visit the center of town, near the monument. Go down some of the side streets. I think it's one of the unknown joys of Bavaria. Most people just pass quickly through Landsberg without exploring. Once you leave the cobblestone streets and town wall, you pass into the uglier, more modern part of Landsberg, but there is a McDonald's and KFC there if you need them.

You could also easily use a day to delve into the Innsbrück area. You would again take the B179 to Reutte (stop in the Lidl store for cheap snacks and liquor), continue on the B179 to Ehrwald. Just off the road is a cable car that will take you to the top of the Zugspitz. It's a bit scary if the wind is howling, but the views are intense. You see the most as you ride up in the car because once you reach the very top, the snow up there causes dense fog which doesn't allow you to see the valley below. But you could get lucky and be able to see as far as Italy from up there. Then you could continue on past Garmisch toward Mittenwald home of some of the world's best violin makers. That same road through the Alps will take you down another thrilling, twisting road (only slightly dangerous when it's icy - they use lots of guardrail) past the winter sports' capitals of Seefeld and Zirl and on to Innsbruck.

Now having said all that, even though that part of Germany is ONE of my favorite places in Europe, my very favorite is near Salzburg in the Berchtesgaden area. There is just as much to see and do there too!!!

You have a tough choice there sister... You better stay another week!

P.S. My best advice - Try to get to Neuschwanstein castle as early as possible. And get the heck outta there before the tour busses (buses?) show up.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Zeus, thanks so much for all your input, you're the only one that answered my plea. I printed out all of your advice and will follow it.

We will probably stay 4 nights in Salzburg so that we can visit the Berchtesgaden area and the Salzkammergut, Hallstatt area, hopefully that's enough time.

If anyone else has any input please post. Thanks.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 01:10 PM

Suze1 - Thanks for thanking me - Why don't you do a search using the word "Fussen" in the search box above this thread. There was one the other day by "Katzen" and there was some great advice there. Then I would search using "Salzburg" too. There's a lot of great advice available on this website. Just don't let the occassional pompous jackass upset you. Some people here seem to think that there's only one way to travel, i.e. Their way!

I think 4 days in the Salzkammergut is about perfect. Be sure to see the Konigsee. They operate electric boats on this beautiful alpine lake. You can go to the far side of the Konigsee and visit an interesting abbey. Nearby is a big bobsled/luge track. The town is also quite charming.

Have you checked out Bavarian Ben's website? He's the resident expert on the area.

http://www.bensbauernhof.com/
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 01:25 PM

suze, I really liked the Fussen area as well. There is more to the area than the castles, as you already know, and it makes for a fine base to explore the surrounding region. We were there for 2 nights but could have easily tacked on another night or two and found more than enough to do.

I'm with Zeus though. I loved the Berchtesgaden area. We were there for a week last May and just loved it. Glad to see that you will have some time to visit.

Tracy