Reload this Page >

Help from Bavaria Experts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Rick

<BR>Driving from Salzburg area to either Garmisch or Fussen area in august. Plan to leave around 0800 and want to arive around 1800, if possible. Still have some unresolved issues:<BR><BR>- need scenic driving routes. Thinking of stopping at chiemsee to see the lake castle and also thought the German alpine road would be interesting but heard it was not one continuous road. How long is the drive and what are your recommended stopping/view points? Is there an open area folklore museaum along the road?<BR><BR>- torn between staying in Garmisch or Fussen. Have two full days and want to see oberammergau, schloss linderhof, kloster ettal, mittenwald, neuschwanstein and wieskirche. Can I do all of this, what would be the best base, and are there some other nearby attractions to visit? <BR><BR>Thanks<BR><BR>Rick

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 03:35 AM
Ann

Gee, I hate to say this, as you'll be going right past the most beautiful scenery in Germany, IMHO, around Berchtesgaden, but you really probably should just get on the autobahn and go to the Irschenberg exit past Rosenheim. Yes, you could stop and visit Herrenchiemsee, but it would eat up a good bit of your day. If you want to see all 3 castles, however, then take the time, it is a lovely trip. I would say take the local road B472 off Autobahn 8, whatever you decide, then follow routes 316 and 307 past Tegernsee down to Wallgau. All those roads are scenic, but I don't know of any open air museums. You'll end up just east and north of Mittenwald, so if you didn't spend too much time at Chiemsee, you could still stop there and easily get to Ettal for the night, which is what I would recommend. Oberammergau tends to be jam-packed with tourists, so stay elsewhere. You can visit O'gau, the monastery and Linderhof very easily from that base and it's quieter. Same with Fussen, which is an easy drive maybe south thru Austria to see Neuschwanstein and then stop at the Wieskirche on the return (or vice-versa if you're not an early riser - the castle will be very busy). I say Ettal/Oberammergau for a base to get you up out of the traffic, which will slow you down, esp. in summer, and puts you nearer what you want to see. Hope that helps.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:19 AM
Dave K.

Ann's suggestions are close to what I'd recommend, so I'll just add to it. I've done the drive a couple times & anyway you go will be scenic. Rte 472 off A8 gives you a view of the Alps in the distance about the whole way. Another way which is longer but takes about the same driving time (4 to 5 hrs) is to get off the A8 onto the A12 toward Innsbruck & you'll be driving alongside the rushing Inn River most of the way to Innsbruck with very high mountains on both sides, many with castles on top. Just past Innsbruck, go north on 177 (rte 2 at german border), & just across the border lands you at Mittenwald. Iv'e had breakfast in Salzburg & made it in time for lunch in Mittenwald. Continue on through Garmisch and the road to Oberammergau takes you right past the front door of the Ettal church. Oberammergau has a lot of tourists, but it's not that big & is a great place to spend the night (Hotel Turmwirt or Hotel Wolf are my choices). If you keep moving, you can still reach Linderhof in mid-afternoon. The next day go on to Schwangau to see the castles (Going via Steingaden you go right by the entrance to the Wies Kirch). Fussen is extremely crowded & congested (lots of tour bus folks stay there), so I prefer to stay in one of the little villages near Neuschwanstein Castle....there are quite a few hotels & chalets there. My choice is the Rubezahl in Schwangau. Agree with Ann that a stop at Chiemsee is very time consuming & I don't think as interesting or beautiful as the other destinations.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Rick

Thanks for all the posts and emails so far.<BR><BR>I should have stated that we were starting the drive from Berchtesgaden after having toured around it and Salzburg for three days. Also, we'll have the drive day and then two additional days to see all the places I listed in my initial post.<BR><BR> <BR>From your inputs, it looks we could stop at Chiemsee and see Mittenwald enroute to a still to be determined hotel. I'm leaning now to either Steingaden or Oberammergau.<BR><BR>Still open to ideas & suggestions.<BR><BR>Rick

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Dave

My choice of Oberammergau is because it's a nice little village to walk around in with a lot of shops (woodcarvings - Christmas decorations), good restaurants, & buildings with painted scenes. Steingaden doesn't amount to much; just the little town where you turn to get from Wieskirch to go to the royal castles.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Bob

You can do the Alpine drive from Berchtesgaden by following the map to Ramsau outside of Berchtesgaden and then going to Reit im Winkl and on to Garmisch. I have done that trip twice. It is pretty and fun to stop at both of the above cities on the way. With your early departure you will arrive in Garmisch in plenty of time.<BR><BR>I would stay in Garmisch. From a base there it is an easy drive to all of the spots you want to visit. <BR><BR>You can do a full day round trip by leaving Garmisch and doing the Reutte route to Neuschawanstein. Tour that...with reservations in advance...and then proceed north to Wies Church, a quick stop but worthwhile, and then on in past Oberammergau and Ettal. Stop at either of these places time allowing or go back next day. Both very close to Garmisch. Linderhof is also just outside Garmisch and sorta of on the way to Ettal and Oberammergau with a slight detour.<BR><BR>I have been doing this area since 1970 and watched the autobahn from Munich get built. Garmisch is my recommendation for a base.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:27 AM
Ann

I'm happier to hear you won't be missing Berchtesgaden, Rick. I like Garmisch, too, it's just a matter of what you like/want to do. It's a city, whereas Oberammergau/Ettal and others on the outskirts are villages. The Post Hotel in Garmisch is a classic and even though you'll hear/see the cows w/bells going down the street behind it, you'll also hear traffic noises and people walking/talking at night. In Oberammergau, the hotels Dave mentioned are great, esp. Wolf; a good pension is the Enzianhof. Same as Garmisch only to a lesser extent, you will get traffic noise at night. In Ettal, I love the Blaue Gams, high on a hill just behind the basilica (so then you hear the bells instead of cars). But while those villages are convenient for the castle, there's not a big variety of nightlife. One note: I've posted before about the fabulous concerts in summertime in the Wieskirche; you might want to check to see if one will be going on while you're there and if so, try to attend! Best wishes...