Berthillon closed now?

Jul 22nd, 2002, 04:23 AM
Sandy

Berthillon closed now?

We're leaving for Paris this afternoon, and after talking up the famous ice cream of Berthillon to my teenagers, I find from a guideboook that the shop is closed! Is this true? And if so, does anyone have a substitute?
Thanks.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 04:38 AM
Gretchen

It was written about as late as April--your "guidebook" must be VERY up to date.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:05 AM
Sandy

Gretchen--
I wasn't very clear, I guess. What I read is that the shop closes from mid July to mid August every year.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:22 AM
Bob C

One of my guide books saids the same thing.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:55 AM
Lori

While the actual shop may be closed, we found plenty of other places in Paris that served Berthillon ice cream.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:04 AM
Shanna

My question: will it be open in late October when my Mom wants to go there?

Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:29 AM
aj

Their "original"? store on Ile St. Louis was very open in May. Yum, Yum!

Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:22 AM
Howard

Fear not, Berthillon ice cream is available in cafes and restaurants all over Paris.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:27 AM
Ice Cream

Berthillon ice cream is the most over priced over rated in the world. Let us end this myth of its greatness.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:01 AM
Burta

You know, Ice Cream, I think you're right! Every trip to Paris I tag along with others who think that Berthillon is just the best. I try a new flavor and keep my opinion to myself that I get better ice cream back home. Think it's just what you're used to though. Are we Americans just used to creamier ice cream?

Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:08 AM
Gina

Yes, we are use to creamier ice cream. However, I personally think the Italian gelato is so much better than anything I've had in France.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:49 AM
Christina

It wouldn't surprise me if it were closed now and through August, a lot of smaller shops are and I think they make most of their money selling other ways.

It's good ice cream, but it's just ice cream, really. I've had plenty of good ice cream elsewhere and you can buy Berthillon all over Paris at lots of cafes. Someone once said on here it wasn't the same, but I sure think it is (I think then it came out that they didn't really buy Berthillon but something in a tourist place called "Berthillon-style" so beware of that, Berthillon will be trademarked and you can tell in a good cafe it is the authentic thing -- La Rotonde cafe serves it, for example).

It is true that you won't have as much selection of flavors -- I think Rotonde has chocolate, vanilla and honey for 3 (which I often have as I like those).

You can even buy it in Hediard's as takeout.