Search

PARIS in August - I need to know.......

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2009, 09:14 AM
tod
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PARIS in August - I need to know.......

In the dozen or so books just arrived through the mail I read a sentence in one of them with a statement sort of like this: "Unless you absolutely have to, don't come to Paris in August"
Well, we are going to come to Paris in late August on our way home.
Many of the smaller restaurants will be closed. Is there any kind of list available to indicate who's still open and who is shut for the holiday season? It would be very handy to know.
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 09:43 AM

That's really outdated information. Paris may not be full of Parisians in August, but it's certainly crowded, and people have to eat. If you have your heart set on eating a certain restaurants, it would be worthwhile to check out whether they are closed or not, but for the average visitor, there will be a barely noticeable decline in restaurants that are open.

I doubt there's a list because there are thousands of restaurants in Paris, and it's the owners who decide, whenever they feel like it, to close or not to.

This won't be an issue.
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 09:51 AM

There is a list in 2009 red michelin guide. It is about 1 1/2 page long and lists restaurants open in July and August.

I'm certain, as St Cirq says, they're not all there but, if you have specific restaurants you'd like to know about, I'm happy to see if they are on the list.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:04 AM
tod
Original Poster

Thank you both. I thought I might jump the gun by knowing more or less who's out of town instead of trying to make resevations while we were there and getting nowhere.
I will take a peek at the Michelin guide but our interest is mainly in the off-beat one man band/family owned little bistro. I can see this is going to mean checking ahead before we set off.
Thanks again!
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
August is not at all a problem in Paris. In fact, it is one of the favorite months of us Parisians.

It is true that the owners of the small places decide whether to open or close every year, depending on business and their own personal plans. So if they were closed (or open) last year, it does not necessarily indicate what they plan to do next time.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 07:14 AM

tod, with your stated interest, you may want a I have a list called "A Selection of 80 Inexpensive and Good Parisian Restaurants (French Cuisine Only)" published by Paris Eiffel Tower News around 2006 (so may not be completely up to date). We have liked the handful on the list we have tried so far. If you want the pdf file (22 pages, by arrondissement) just email me at [email protected]
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 07:35 AM
ira

Hi tod,

>our interest is mainly in the off-beat one man band/family owned little bistro. <

That should narrow your search down to about 2000 restos.

You are overly concerned.

Where will you be staying?

Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:07 AM

Tod,

I've never made a reservation for a restaurant in Paris before going, and have been 9/10 times.

I do not go to 'star' retaurants, but I do like to go to nice places for dinner. One year I picked 3 or 4 from the Michelin Red book, at the non-star level. Good food, small places.

I've used info from here, guide books, etc. to make a list. Last trip I also found a couple just by walking around the area I happened to be in. With menus posted outside, it is easy to build up a list. Lots of locals, good menu...tomorrow night I'm here. I also plan around arriving right near opening time for dinner, to increase my odds (7:30-8 PM).

I've also asked hotel front desk for ideas, they are good for recommending some in neighbourhood.

Reservations are also a bit limiting.., I like idea of being able to eat wherever I may be at the time, or travel to one on my list. Maybe you could modify a bit and if you see one that really appeals to you, walk in a make reservation for next night.

I'd be confident in recommending you go to Paris and not make any reservations.,,and that you will still have a fine experience with food.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:19 AM
tod
Original Poster

Hi Ira,
To tell you the truth I was just being a bit lazy thinking if there was such a list it would save me researching each 2000 restos! Ha Ha! We have a few eateries on our list - tried in the past, which being quite small, may be closed.
Well, thanks to Kerouac, my question has largely been answered! Maybe yes, maybe no, they may or may not decide to close depending on the individual owner and his plans.

As for accommodation this next trip - we are going for our usual 3 day stint at Ibis Esplanade La Defense because of the incredible weekend low rate of just less than 49euros for a double (and I have to emphasise "en-suite") because there are many cheap hotels in Paris have shared ablution facilities.
Then, after the departure of the Tour de France crowds we thought of lingering for another two to three days on a little island in the Seine - but not any of the two famous ones!
Unlike you Ira, who has a trusty steed always at the ready with the name of 'Hotel Bonaparte', I am a traveller who must try out something different each trip - it kinda keeps the flame burning! Admittedly the Ibis will be our third visit - wow! a record!

SemiMike: That is a wonderful offer and I'm taking you up on!
Thanks so much.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:03 AM

In late July, Mom and I saw various shuttered restaurants, but not many. Funnily enough, one of them was one where we had eaten the day before!

Gerard Mulot was likewise shuttered. I had hoped to take Mom there because Dad and I had enjoyed the chocolate in June.

You shouldn't have a problem with starvation but if you have your heart set on a certain restaurant checking ahead is a good idea.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:20 AM

I don't make restaurant reservations in advance, either, and the one time I was there in August, there were a couple that were closed I had wanted to try. But it wasn't any major problem for my vacation, I just ate elsewhere. I don't go to name or expensive restaurants, the ones I wanted were small family-run places. There can't be a list of such a thing, who would pay for it given the thousands of restaurants. You can get info online or in guidebooks for some, of course, but other than that, it's just going to be what you find, I'm afraid.
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 07:26 AM

FYI, while Paris isn't a problem in August, beware if you are traveling outside of the city. Many small towns do close down as everyone heads South on holidays.

Jeni