Need Andalucia Advice!!!

Jun 12th, 2002, 06:11 AM
melissa

Need Andalucia Advice!!!

Hello All! I'm getting ready to spend almost THREE weeks in Andalucia for my honeymoon. I booked this trip in February, when life in NY was dreary and stressful, & now I'm a little concerned that this will be too long. (Am I crazy?!) We will be in Toledo for 2 days, Sevilla for 3, Ronda for 3, Nerja for 7, Cordoba for 2 and Madrid for 2. I thought of seeing Granada as a day trip from Nerja. Our primary interests are long walks, beautiful scenery, interesting people, sunshine, good food, good wine, and fresh air. Did I plan a good trip? Too long? Too much of Andalucia??? Thanks for any advice/reassurance!!!

Jun 12th, 2002, 06:49 AM
jade

Sounds good to me! The only thing I would change is the 2 days in Cordoba. You could do it as a daytrip from Seville then spend those extra 2 days in Cadiz. Three full days in Ronda might be a bit much. Are you driving or taking buses and trains? Arcos de la Frontera is a nice place to spend a day or less. We spent 2 weeks there and I would've loved another week!

Jun 12th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Heather

What about Marbella??...it is too beautiful to miss.

Jun 12th, 2002, 07:16 AM
gail

Melissa: 3 weeks is not too much time in Andalucia. There's a lot to see and do. You'd be doing yourself a favor to buy or look at a good guide book (try the library or just browse through the travel section at a bookstore) to check out what the possibilities are. Pick out some things that interest you and then you could post some questions here if you're wondering about distances etc. A week might be kind of long for Nerja itself, but it's a comfortable driving distance from lots of pretty towns and you can do daytrips easily. The road system is quite good, but night driving would be a little iffy (very wind-y, mountain roads with no guardrails). Granada is an easy day trip from Nerja, as is Frigiliana. The caves in Nerja are spectacular (don't know when you're going, but there are concerts in the caves in the summer season that I bet would be fantastic.) A day or so seeing Ronda itself is probably enough but there are caves with ancient paintings outside Ronda that someone on this Forum wrote about as the highlight of her trip. We tried to see them but the hours they were open were not compatible with our stay. We bought a small local guide to Ronda and spent a whole day walking around seeing the old part of the city, Roman baths, ancient bridges, etc., and soaking up the atmosphere. That's mostly what we did in Spain, walked around, enjoying the sights, sounds, food, sunshine, and lovely people. Don't expect to hear much English except perhaps in tourist areas. But I really urge you to look at some good books about Andalucia so you can pick out things that interest you. Have a great trip.

Jun 12th, 2002, 08:31 AM
lisa

I have to agree with Jade -- 2 days in Cordoba is probably too much. It was our least favorite town. One full day will allow you to adequately explore it.

Similarly, Ronda is a very small town and you will likely be bored in 3 days, unless you want to explore lots of the other towns nearby.

I would suggest making Cordoba a day trip or one night, ditto for Ronda and add Granada to your itinerary. It was our favorite city -- it has a real city energy and city nightlife. We are also from NYC and really enjoyed this about Granada during our honeymoon.

Enjoy!

Jun 12th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Graziella

Hello, Granada is a fascinating place please stay longer......

Jun 12th, 2002, 08:57 PM
Monica

Aparently I am in the minority but I liked Cordoba. We stayed right in the old Jewish quarter and there is a nice little nightlife there. I think two nights with one full day is fine (i.e. drive in in the afternoon on day one, explore the mosque, etc., in day two, and then leave early on day three).

Jun 12th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Monica

Oh yeah, and I'm the one who wrote about the cave paintings outside Ronda being the height of my trip, mostly because I never expected to see cave paintings in my life (they are closing most of the caves to visitors to protect the paintings). You can read more about our Andalucia trip here: http://www.markandmonica.com/Travel/iberia.htm If you want to go straight to the cave painting page it's here: http://www.markandmonica.com/Travel/arcos.htm

Jun 12th, 2002, 10:37 PM
Henda

When in Rhonda do the trip to Ubrique and Grazelema.The coutryside is beautiful. If you are interested in buying leather goods, do it in Ubrique.There is a hotel in Grazelema with an adjacent leather shop that sells very nice stuff.Remember the siesta time as all shops close between 1.30 and 4.30.

Jun 13th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Gareth

When in Nerja hire a car (if not already) and visit the Las Alpujarras. If you want peace and quiet and beautiful scenery. Visit Orgiva and the surrounding villages, the arae is full of artist and IMHO one of the best parts of Southen Spain. I wouldnt spend so much time in Rhonda, full of coach trips. Take Henda's advice, head up to Grazelema for the National Park, great wild life and scenery. Monica. I to like Cordoba, and did a similar thing, chiled out in the Jewish quarter.

Jun 13th, 2002, 10:13 AM
melissa

thanks everyone! Advice is MUCH appreciated!

Jun 13th, 2002, 07:04 PM
patg

If you can, try to get tickets for the Festival of Music and Dance in Granada, in June. It is a beautifully done series of concerts staged throughout the city, including on the grounds of the Alhambra.