Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Book train tickets here or when arrive in Italy??

Jun 12th, 2002, 04:36 AM
elle

I am having some difficulty booking train tickets . Do you think its safe to just leave it until we arrive in Florence and then just book the 2 trips I need(Florence to Naples) and then(Naples to rome) We want first class. Because it's the summer do you think I'll have a problem booking the tix when I arrive in Italy?

Jun 12th, 2002, 04:48 AM
Roberta

Hi Elle....I've bought tickets a day ahead, Florence to rome, no problem (in July). Unless it's an overnite train somewhere (which neither of your mentioned trips are), there is no problem....go a few days ahead and should be ok. If you're nervous about it, order them on line at www.raileurope.com.

Jun 12th, 2002, 01:35 PM
ttt

ttt for elle

Jun 12th, 2002, 09:31 PM
Marilyn

You could certainly wait and get them in Italy, but definitely buy them in advance. I.e., don't just go to the station and expect to get on your train of choice. Some trains are full during busy travel times and you might not get a seat. Or you might miss a dinner engagement as we did when we could not get the train we planned on from Florence to Milan.

Jun 12th, 2002, 09:41 PM
Ida

No problem waiting until you arrive. The only advantage we've found with 1st class is there are more open seats during peak travel hours... usually. Otherwise, 2nd class is just fine and more than adequate.WAIT to buy tickets until you arrive!

Jun 12th, 2002, 10:06 PM
pete

no problem waiting until you're there. I usually buy mine 24 hours ahead with no problem even during peak travel months/times. no reason for 1st class either....very little difference between 1st class and 2nd class.

Jun 13th, 2002, 03:33 AM
Gigi

Hi, elle!
I was in Venice recently and booked my tickets at one of the many tourist companies. As I recall you to get a reserved seat you need to book at least 24 hours in advance. I would defintely book when you get there and specify that you want a smoking/nonsmoking car.
When I looked to book the tickets in advance, the cost was twice what I paid in Venice.
I also had an unfortunate experience booking through raileurope. We had requested and been confirmed a sleeping compartment for 4. Instead we were put in a car for 6. A snorer descended on our car after lurching into it at 2 a.m. He kept the rest of us up all night. The train station told us there were no cars with only 4 compartments on this route. It was otherwise uneventful, but, we arrived in Madrid from Barcelona exhausted.

Have a wonderful trip to beautiful Italy!!!

Jun 13th, 2002, 04:31 AM
sera

Last summer I waited until I got to Italy to reserve a 1st class seat on the Rome-Naples train and the non-smoking cars were sold out, which was a bummer. Just easier to do it all over here.

Jun 13th, 2002, 04:49 AM
Dawn

On the day that you arrive in Florence just go to a travel agent that has the FS logo (the logo for TrenItalia) in the window and book at that time. You should have no problem getting on the trains that you want considering you will be in Florence for a couple of days, and will therefore, be booking a few days in advance of your first trip. In addition, you will save quite a bit of money.

Jun 13th, 2002, 04:56 AM
jedi

Just be aware that "first class" may not be what you might think. Sometimes the difference between 1st and 2nd class is if the compartment seats 6 or 8 people. Sometimes first and second class seats are in the same car, just different seats ( front or rear of the car)
Either way, you should not have too much trouble getting the tickets here in Italy. that way you can make your itenerary as you go.
Enjoy your trip.

Jun 13th, 2002, 05:07 AM
Joyce

I booked my Rome-Naples train the day before. I was able to get a seat on the train I wanted, but the lines at the ticket booths were very long. I had to stand on line for about an hour.

First Class is a waste of money. The Second Class seats are just as nice.

Jun 13th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Dawn

Jedi-

You do not sit in compartments in the Eurostar trains, which are the primary mode of travel between the cities that elle listed. However, I must say that second class in Eurostar is much, much better than first class on a "regular" train in Italy. Seats are much nicer and larger, etc. However, if you have quite a bit of luggage, you may want to buy a first class seat on Eurostar. The difference in price is not significant at all.

Jun 13th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Jedi

She did not say that she was going on a eurostar, they are not the only trains to/from those cities ( though they are the fastest, and most expensive)
I agree that 2nd class eurostar is better than 1st class regular. However if there is a good size group and you can get an entire compartment, bring some wine and cheese and make the traveling fun.

Jun 13th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Tracy

Does anyone know the approx. cost of a rail ticket from Rome to Florence? We will purchase when we get there, but would like to know about how much. Thanks!

Jun 13th, 2002, 05:39 AM
elle

Thank you all for you input. The reason I wanted first class is because I was told they are air conditioned.If second class is as well then I'll get that. I just want to make sure I get non-smoking and air-conditioned if possible. I do plan on booking the Eurostar. The reason I wanted to prebook here is I have to make arrangements for a ride from Naples to Positano and I guess I should prearrange that,.But I have the general idea of what time I'm arriving I guess I could prearrange it based on that. Thank you all for your help.

Jun 13th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Dawn

I went on both the routes at which you are looking on Eurostar in 2nd class within the past two weeks and the cars are air conditioned and you do have a non-smoking option. I can see your point that you may want to pre-book in the US if you are making ground transportation arrangements. You can try TrenItalia, but the website has been unreliable lately. The other option is RailEurope, but the overhead charges are unreal and can sometimes almost double the price of the ticket.

Jun 13th, 2002, 06:23 AM
elle

Dawn, The price for 1 first class ticket Florence to Naples using Raileurope is $121 Canadian,
plus $28 to reserve a first class seat. The price of a first class ticket from Naples To Rome is $66 Canadian plus $28 to reserve first class.Then they charge $26 to deliver the tickets. How do these prices compare to when you booked it in Italy?

Jun 13th, 2002, 08:03 AM
judy

I have a question on booking in advance. We arrive Milan at 7:30 am on a Thursday and need to go directly to Florence. We do not have 24 hours to book in advance and most of the trains at ES. What do you all suggest?

Jun 13th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Steve James

Tracy - Rome-Florence fares by EUROSTAR areBR>EURO 29.50 - 2nd class
EURO 42.35 - 1st class

Fares by INTERCITY are cheaper but journey time is longer.

Elle - Naples-Florence fares by EUROSTAR areBR>EURO 42.35 - 2nd Class
EURO 63.00 - 1st Class
Seat reservation is INCLUDED in the price.

INTERCITY fares for the same journey areBR>EURO 37.00 - 2nd Class
EURO 49.00 - 1st Class

(As you can see, Rail Europe is a rip-off).

Steve

Jun 13th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Steve James

Judy - Milan-Florence ES trains are hourly, so I don't think you need to book in advance.

Steve

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO