Need advice on Rental Car Price

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2003, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting what I feel are expensive prices for a rental car in Italy. We want to drive from Rome to Assisi for 2 nights. head to Florence for 2 nights, and finally drive to Venice and drop the car off. I am geting prices for 4 days for 450.00 to 576.00 euro.<BR>This seems to be very high to me. The driving through the countryside is a big deal for us and we don't want to change that.<BR>If the prices are inline we will just bite the bullet.Any suggestions greatly welcomed.<BR>Happy Travels<BR> Gary
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 08:56 PM

Try Avis through British Airways. I have rate of 425 Euros for 10 days for a compact (class D) in late May. However, you may be paying more relativley for the one way with the drop off fee and the short time. Also try AutoEurope, although I think they are better for rentals of at least one week duration.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

any other ideas..help....
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 11:20 AM

Get a railpass. Seriously. Italians drive in seven lanes when five are marked, and you need a tiny tiny car to fit down the medieval streets.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 11:27 AM

Go to AutoEurope.com for cars in Italy. They give you Avis and other good companies. If you go through them directly they will charge you a fortune for the insurances (some are mandatory and others like liability are not)you really need. You want to be completely covered incase something happens and you can walk away without paying a dime. Go to their website and when you get their price go to the bottom of the page. Call Avis, Hertz, etc and ask how much a car would be with all the insurances AutoEurope gives you. A real eye-opener.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 11:34 AM

I just plugged in your basic info on www.autoeurope.com and got the following for available compacts for 4 days:<BR><BR>$195.93 - LanciaY, 2-door, <BR>230.72 -Fiat Punto, 4- door<BR>$339.31 - Alpha Romeo 147, 4-door<BR>$379.86 - Opel Wagon, 4-door<BR><BR>All are manual transmission. All include all insurance. All have A/C. At the Fiat and Alpha Romeo prices, they are offering a free upgrade to a larger vehicle.<BR><BR>Yes, the prices you've gotten seem high.Are you asking for an automatic? That could hike up the price. Are you asking for a large vehicle? That could, too. But certainly you can get a better price than you seem to have gotten. Good luck.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:30 PM

StCirq, as usual, has given you a more thorough answer and one that I can't improve upon, except to say that the price you have to pay will depend greatly on the following (which you may know well by now):<BR>-Size and type of car<BR>-Whether a weekly or daily rental<BR>-Insurance coverage<BR>-Type of transmission (auto or manual)<BR><BR>With all these considerations, and without having any knowledge of what type of car you plan to rent, I can't say if the price you are quoted might be OK. Just do as others have advised and check a couple or more of the sources, being sure to ask the same consistent questions about the insurance coverage. Good luck.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 02:04 PM

A word of caution (perhaps needlessly)-<BR>parking in Florence is awful. Also<BR>your days in each city are numbered, so<BR>you don't really have alot of time to<BR>be driving through the countryside. Why<BR>not train to Assisi? Then use a guide<BR>service (Anne Robichaud is a good one)<BR>to see a bit of Umbria; train to Florence and then to Venice. <BR><BR>As others have pointed out, rentals beginning at airports and less than one<BR>week are expensive.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for all of the information. How would one ever make it to Italy without all of your incredible help.<BR> There is only two of us so two doors is fine, manual shift is ok, we prefer AC. <BR> This trip is a 40th B'day gift to my sweetheart and the driving portion of this trip is not a option. For me personally the train would be fine.<BR>A couple of years ago driving through southern France we packed a picnic lunch and drove until we found a beautiful secluded spot and had the most incredible times of our lives. Because of that we both try and re-create that moment as often as possible. That is why I need the car and can't do the train.<BR> Again thanks to all for the info.<BR>I plan on checking with Autoeurope and getting the Fiat Punto.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

I just got off the phone with auto-europe. They could not have been nicer.<BR>They had a special for a free upgrade and I got a Foord Focus or VW Gulf 4 door for 224.81 all inclusive.It is all booked and paid for. <BR> StCirg, thanks for the help.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:56 PM

Your questions has helped me alot... what phone number did you use??
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:05 PM

Garyinfla, This is your Boca neighbor. I will be really curious to hear about your trip. That could be our next destination...
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

I called Autoeurope at 888-223-5555 they were very nice and quick with a fax confirmation also.<BR> Wren I will give a full report on the trip, also I always put a couple hundred pictures on the internet.I am very excited about this trip and seems as time is standing still. Aren't you just loving the nice break in the weather? My dogs are so frisky right now.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:33 AM

This is useful info. How did you find out about the free upgrade?<BR><BR>I had booked a reservation with Hertz for 242 Euro for 4 days (ouch) and just called AutoEurope and they'll charge $195 for the same amount of time.<BR><BR>Though Hertz is for compact, and AutoEurope for economy. Would love more info on their &quot;special rate&quot; <BR><BR>Thanks!!
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

LisaSusan,<BR> I got the info on the speacials at the auoeurope web-site plus their rep checked for any other deals.