Reload this Page >

Need advice on picking up rental car in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 04:20 PM
Bellarose

Hello, Any suggestions on where to pick up a rental car for drive to Umbria (Assisi)? We are staying near the Vatican and Avis and Hertz have several pick up locations within 3 miles--all West of the Tiber. These include the Crown Plaza and Hilton hotels. I was hoping this would avoid central Rome, but never having been there, not sure if getting out from those locations would be just as difficult. Thanks again for all the help Fodorites have given...

Old Feb 27th, 2003, 03:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, the autostrada ( expressway) runs in a complete circle around Rome. You will be smack dab in the center of Rome. The autostrada is a few miles away. However distance is not an issue, Rome driving is. I would pick a location to get the car as close to &amp; with the most direct route to the autostrada from the rental location.<BR>Minimize your distance to reduce the madcap Roman driving. Once your on the autostrada it's a breeze. Assisi is just under 2 hours. If your returning to Rome plan accordingly with the rental return.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 05:25 AM

The car rentals near the termini station are relatively easy to access. If I remember correctly, 1 main road, multi-lane goes directly to the autostrada from there. Forget about anything remotely near the historic center and try to avoid, entering or leaving Rome during the rush hours.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 06:45 AM
Gino

Bellarose,<BR>I think I would avoid picking up in Rome. Why not train it to Orvieto spending time there and then pick up your car there for trip to Assisi.-Much easier. The distance from Rome to Assisi is only about 120 miles, so you will get to Assisi in plenty of time.

Old Feb 27th, 2003, 08:42 AM

I have never had a problem on the Rome exit thing. The car rental offices are INSIDE the Termini station and they can give you an good map and verbal instruction. Take a taxi their from your hotel. I know a lot of people on this forum prefer to pick up their cars in Orvieto, Gino gives good advice if you chose to go this way.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 09:01 AM

I stayed near the Vatican and rented from AutoEurope. They used Europcar as the rental car company. The office was a few blocks from my hotel and was on the road leaving town. I think the office was on Via Cipro.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Bellarose

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions. Booked a car today, near the GRA ring road. Thought about Orvieto alternative, but this would require rerouting for us, as we are headed to Malvarina first (the agritourist lodging highly regarded on this list). The members of this website have been exceptional!! Sandy