Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on Italy Itinary

Arrive in Rome on the 16th
Wed 16th - Rome
Thursday 17th Rome
Friday – Rome (Possible day trip to the Amalfi coast) * see below
Saturday – Rome ½ day and then travel to Venice *
Sunday – Venice
Monday – Travel early to Cinque Terre * (sleep in Vernazza) It takes about 6 hours by train.
Tuesday – Spend all day and night in Cinque Terre (sleep in Vernazza)
Wed – Travel to Florence via Piza and spend the day there. It is about a 3 hour train ride but will add on for checking out Piza
Thursday – Spend day in Florence…travel to Rome and spend night in Rome. (Depending on train, it can take anywhere from 1½ - 3 hours to get to Rome.
Friday – Fly out of Rome

* I'm trying to determine if it would work to go to the Amalfi Coast from Rome and then fly from Napel's the Venice. Any thoughts on this?
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:04 AM

Your itinerary presents itself as a marathon at a dead run, without factoring in the Amalfi. If you are arriving in Roma after a long transatlantic flight you may be too jet lagged to do much exploring, which will eliminate some of your time in the city.

Every time you change locations you lose at least 1/2 day by checking out, getting from one place to another, finding your hotel in a strange city, and then checking in.

If you have not purchased your air tickets consider flying into Venice and home from Roma, This is called multi-city or open jaws and you will eliminate time consuming backtracking. many recommending walking off jet lag in Venice rather than other places. With this strategy you could plan a more efficient itinerary. Also, your last day will be totally dedicated to return travel, so do not plan on seeing much.

My thoughts on Le Cinque Terre: We were there in 1994 and they were sleepy and unique Italian towns worthy of spending time. We were there again in 2012 and the little towns were JAMMED with tourists, both American and Italian. The quaint shops are now selling souvenir schlock. Just sayin'...

Visiting Venice, Florence, Pisa, and Roma will provide plenty of things to do to keep you busy.
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:12 AM

Have you been in Italy before? May I be blunt? I would hate doing your itinerary. If I counted correctly you have 9 nights in Italy. I could see doing 3 in Rome, 3 in Florence , 3 in Venice or some variation of those. Would definitively cut out Amalfi coast and Cinque Terre on this trip. Do you already have your plane tickets? would be more efficient to fly into Rome out of Venice (or viceversa).

Maybe my answer would be a bit different if you have been before to Rome, Florence , Venice, but probably wouldnt vary by much.
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:15 AM

What month are you going? I would find this trip more relaxing if both the Amalfi Coast and CT were cut. Rome can keep you busy for weeks, let alone 3-4 days. And only 1-1/2 days in CT? A lot of train travel for such a short visit.

Sounds like you want to see a lot in a short amount of time - and what you'll be seeing most of is the train rather than what each destination has to offer.
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:21 AM

1. Fly open jaw (do not back tack to same city you entered in order to exit, it is a big waste)

2. Pick no more than 3 cities to sleep in. You don't want to average less than 3 nights in one spot. Some one or two nighters fit in okay if they are among longer stays. But that doesn't apply to a 9 day trip.

3. Even if you already booked Rome RT airfare, seriously consider changing your flight even though you will probably be charged a change fee. It will likely be a wash (or better) considering train & hotel costs for a wasted last night airport stay.

4. I wouldn't visit both Cinque Terre and the AC in one trip unless I had 6+ weeks to fill.
Old May 5th, 2015, 12:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You only have 9 days in Italy and one of those is arrival day when you will likely be too jetlagged to day anything.

Assuming you've already booked r/t Rome airfare, you could train to either Venice (4 hours from Rome) or Florence (90 minutes from Rome) upon arrival. Spend a couple of days in one, train to the next for a couple of days and then train to Rome for the last few days of your trip. You will need 4 hotel nights in Rome to get 3 sightseeing days. Even with cutting your list to 3 cities, you will be shortchanging one of them.