10-12 days in Italy

Search

10-12 days in Italy

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10-12 days in Italy

Help! My husband and I are planning to visit Italy for the first time. Rome is very important to us. Would love another 2 cities/areas to visit. What would you recommend? Considering Venice and Cinque Tera or Amalfi Coast and Capri. What makes the most sense?
Any help appreciated!!
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:41 AM

Pick up a Rick Steves Italy book, read through it, see what grabs you.

You could certainly do Rome go north to Cinque Terre + Venice or do Rome and south to Amalfi Coast but probably not both. If you do Venice, try to fly into Rome and out of Venice (or into Venice/out of Rome) as an open jaw, usually not more expensive (if at all) than a round trip. You'll probably want to rent a car to see the Amalfi Coast

I haven't been to Amalfi myself, but I loved the Cinque Terre. Search this forum for "amalfi" to find previous discussions about it and how it differs from the CT. (and they are apparently very different if both beautiful in their own ways). I guess I'd probably lean toward Venice + Cinque Terre even if that's more travel time, because Venice is such a unique city. Assuming you train around (Italy having an excellent train system) you could do:

Fly into Rome
Rome
Rome
Rome
Rome
train to Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
train to Venice
Venice
Venice
Venice
fly home

quite easily. With twelve days you could probably throw in two nights in Florence too.
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:16 AM

I agree with Andrew.
Fly into Rome and out of Venice for maximum relaxation.

Having been to Amalfi and Cinque Terre, I would say CT.
IMO,It is without a doubt one of the most beautiful settings.
It is mellow and fun. Amalfi is more hectic.

Venice is heaven on earth to me.
I have been 3 times and I havent scratched the surface.
Be sure to "get lost."
These are the best times for me.

Rome. Words cannot contain it, yet in it, all words are.
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:24 AM

We spent a week of our two week honeymoon in an agriturismo in Tuscany, about an hour south of Florence. It was the highlight of our trip. We day-tripped a few times with our rented car, spent a couple of days lounging at the pool, and then spent a couple of days wandering nearby towns and doing vineyard tours. Heaven.
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:52 PM

I'd fly open jaw into Venice and out of Rome. It's easy to get from Marco Polo airport to "downtown" Venice. However, it is harder to get from downtwn Venice to Marco Polo, as flights often leave in the early morning, before the Aligaluna ferry from Venice to Marco Polo runs. You'd find threads on Fodors that refer to this difficulty.
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:07 PM

Kersey-
this totally depends on what type of travelers you are. do you hate crowds or can you tolerate them? Would you prefer small and unknown cities or major destinations or a mix? Cinque Terre is good if you like to be very active, as the walks between towns are wonderful and the town themselves are all different and amazing. Venice is great and beautiful but most popular times of the year you will be enveloped in huge crowds and heat. I enjoyed Venice more off-season (even though there technically isn't an off season) in February at Carnevale.

The Amalfi Coast is absolutely breathtaking with many small towns to visit that will make you feel like you're the only tourists there. Capri is very touristed most of the time and is also gorgeous but I wouldn't have minded skipping it in lieu of exploring the Amalfi Coast more. Sorrento is great. Also consider Pompeii and Herculanem!
Old May 31st, 2009, 06:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When is this trip?