Need Advice on Getting Back to Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending three nights in the Chianti area using a rental car and we want to get to Florence to catch an early morning train to Venice. My question is how much time is needed to drop off the car and still catch an early train? Where should we drop off the car? Should we forgo the 3rd night in Chianti (I don't like this option) and stay outside of Florence so we'll be closer?

I'm having trouble sorting out the logistics and would appreciate any advice.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 02:41 AM

Drive to Venice and return the car there; no train.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 06:00 AM

Dropping the car off in Florence is fairly simple. Most of the agencies are on the same street, Borgo Ognissanti I think. Two things: Check with the rental agency about the hours of operation and what to do if the office is not open.

Secondly, BE AWARE!!!! There are now cameras on the Lungarno, where you most probably will need to drive along to get to the drop off place. If you do not have the visible "permit" sticker affixed to your plate alowing the vehicle to be driven in that restricted area, a ticket with a hefty fine of 90 euro will be levied against you.

This happened to us. The fine, plus a lot of other fees for lateness etc showed up on our AMEX bill SIX months later! We went through a lot of grief but eventually paid up. We had no clue as to what this "unauthorized diving in a restricted zone" meant.

We returned to Florence this past month and rented a car in the same street, and was told by a very helpful agent, what the situation is. If you are staying in a hotel, one should give the front desk your plate number.

The hotel then will call the police and alert them that you are a guest, and then the ticket is nullified!! You could be generating a fine every time you go through one of these restricted zones, which you could easily not be aware of if you are not familiar with the warnings posted in Italian near the cameras.

If you are not a guest in a hotel, but are dropping a car off, you would do well to ask the agency how to avoid the fine.

Soooo, drop the car at the airport and take a quick cab to the train station would be my advice. Or if you decide to drop the car the night ahead and stay in Florence the night before, be aware of the situation and alert the hotel. Sorry to be the bearer of this news, but that is Italy! Have a wonderful time in the Chianti area.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 04:04 AM
ira

HI C,

Ditto Tuck

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you. I haven't been in Italy in many years - there were no cameras, etc. back then...what a change.
Does anyone know how long the drive would be if we stay on the autostrada?
My original thought was that the train would be quicker and more relaxing - any comments? I would really like to get to Venice early.

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 02:28 AM

>how long the drive would be if we stay on the autostrada?<

About 3 1/2 hours.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 03:33 AM
ira

Hi C,

>how long the drive would be if we stay on the autostrada?<

See www.viamichelin.com and www.mappy.com

Old Jul 13th, 2007, 03:09 PM

Not getting a response to my post on a similar question so thought I'd post here. If I'm staying in Florence (at Alloro B&B) and I let the hotel know my license plate number, will I be OK dropping off the car at Borgo Ognissanti and not getting fined?
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 04:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Monica007, ask your hotel. They would be a better source for info on local laws and regulations.