Reload this Page >

Need advice on Costa del Sol

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 11:44 AM
Cindy T.

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Costa del Sol area (Marbella/Estepona) with another couple in late June. We have never been to this part of Europe before and know very little about Spain. The guys want to golf, the girls want a spa and everyone wants to do some worthwhile siteseeing. Any suggestions on luxury hotels, golf courses, side trips (which towns/sites are worth a visit), transportation (car v. bus v. train), golf courses, restaurants, tour operators etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 03:50 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Cynthia, we just came home from Spain and Portugal, visited Estapona, were very disappointed in that portion of the Costa Del Sol. However, it may just have some of the things you are looking for. Beach wasn't very pretty, area just not as nice as we had anticipated. We stayed at a 4 star golf resort- El Paraiso. Nice course from what we could see, but we didn't play. Up in the hills above Estapona, big pool, etc. Tennis also. It would be ideal for golfers. We wanted something closer to town for convenience walking into town and walking around, and this didn't fit the bill for that. We were there over a weekend and their gym and masseur were not available weekends! We did check out a fancy 5 star hotel that was right on the beach, but was very expensive and had no availability at the time. We weren't impressed with Marbella, however, did like the marina Puerto Banus. We did find lots of good restaurants with good, inexpensive food and wine. For sightseeing, we liked the old, historic little village of Casarus up in the hills, and also Ronda. You could also go to Gibralter, or ferry to Morroco. After we left there, we went to the Algarve in Portugal, also stayed at a golf resort - 4 star, and continued up to our favorite - the Estoril Coast just West of Lisbon. Stayed in Cascais, there are golf resorts there also, far prettier shore line, wonderful little town for walking around and shopping, and easy access to Sintra, Lisbon. I'd recommend that area before the Costa Del Sol, or the Algarve, (much cleaner, fewer high rises, and more "quaint and charming") altho my opinions are of just the areas we went to, and I'm sure there were other places that we wouldn't have been so disappointed in. Feel free to ask any questions if you'd like.

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 03:50 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Cynthia, we just came home from Spain and Portugal, visited Estapona, were very disappointed in that portion of the Costa Del Sol. However, it may just have some of the things you are looking for. Beach wasn't very pretty, area just not as nice as we had anticipated. We stayed at a 4 star golf resort- El Paraiso. Nice course from what we could see, but we didn't play. Up in the hills above Estapona, big pool, etc. Tennis also. It would be ideal for golfers. We wanted something closer to town for convenience walking into town and walking around, and this didn't fit the bill for that. We were there over a weekend and their gym and masseur were not available weekends! We did check out a fancy 5 star hotel that was right on the beach, but was very expensive and had no availability at the time. We weren't impressed with Marbella, however, did like the marina Puerto Banus. We did find lots of good restaurants with good, inexpensive food and wine. For sightseeing, we liked the old, historic little village of Casarus up in the hills, and also Ronda. You could also go to Gibralter, or ferry to Morroco. After we left there, we went to the Algarve in Portugal, also stayed at a golf resort - 4 star, and continued up to our favorite - the Estoril Coast just West of Lisbon. Stayed in Cascais, there are golf resorts there also, far prettier shore line, wonderful little town for walking around and shopping, and easy access to Sintra, Lisbon. I'd recommend that area before the Costa Del Sol, or the Algarve, (much cleaner, fewer high rises, and more "quaint and charming") altho my opinions are of just the areas we went to, and I'm sure there were other places that we wouldn't have been so disappointed in. Feel free to ask any questions if you'd like.

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 06:26 AM
Cindy T.

Hi Cheryl, thanks for the input. Based on your comments and some of the others I have read on this forum, I think we will stay on the Costa del Sol and use it as a base for reaching other places such as Gibraltar, Granada and Rhonda. However, the guys are still determined to get in a few rounds of golf so we are still looking for a nice resort on the coast (preferably on the beach w/full services). I'd be very interested to hear any suggestions for resorts in the Marbella/Estepona area. Also, we will be spending 6 full days in Spain and 2 traveling days. Do you think it would be feasible to drive to Seville from the coast, spend our last day there and take the train to Madrid for our departure flight? Is this manageable or are we trying to squeeze too much into a relatively short trip?

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 08:34 AM
Myriam

Following hotels have private 18 holes golf courses and are situated on the beach in the Marbella/Estepona region: Atalaya Park Golf Hotel & Resort (4 star), Los Monteros (5 star+), Golf Hotel Guadalmina (4 star). <BR> <BR>Other 4/5 star hotels on the beach with golf courses nearby: Gran Melia Don Pepe (5+), Don Carlos (5), Puente Romano (5+), Rincon Andaluz (4), Marbella Club (4+), Las Dunas Beach Hotel & Spa (5+). <BR>Most of these are member of "The Leading Hotels of the World". They probably have a website. <BR> <BR>At the Costa del Sol you may not expect beaches such as in the Caribbean. The beaches in the Algarve (Portugal) are nicer but Marbella / Puerto Banus is a more exclusive destination. <BR> <BR>Lots to see in the area: Granada, Sevilla, Cordoba, etc. <BR>

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 08:42 AM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Seville is not that long of a drive from Estepona and you can visit Rhonda on the way, but I think your plans will be determined by what time your departure is so you don't have to rush. After we checked in at the El Paraiso and saw how far it was from the beach, we seached for other hotels but found nothing on the beach that was better. The expensive hotel I mentioned before is Las Dunas Beach Hotel and Spa, featured in book called The Great Golf Hotel Book Guide, a book we used to help us find better hotels even tho we didn't care to golf. (we figured they'd be more of a resort type hotel with spa that we wanted.) It's on the beach, no golf course (none of them on the beach have courses, just access to them). You might be interested in that one - their # is 34-95-279-43-45, fax 34-95-279-48-25. We used this book to help us find hotel in the Algarve, and also Cascais. I remember they had a nice pool area overlooking the ocean, and the book said spa with health/beauty treatments, fitness, watersports. doesn't mention tennis. AX gives it 5 stars and "Grand Luxe". Hope this helps.

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 12:47 PM
Cindy T.

Thanks Myriam and Cheryl for your recommendations. Will look into all these resorts which sound wonderful. My new dilemma this afternoon is airfare from Phila./NYC area to Madrid. Because of our rather short time frame, we want to fly direct and current fares are $1,000+ pp. round-trip. Any solutions? I'm desparate, this could be the undoing of our trip!

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 01:15 PM
MMEDRAND

Hi Cindy - Can't help with the hotels as we had a timeshare in Marbella, but we used the area as our base for exploration. We drove as we prefer the mobility and if someone in your group is good reading maps, you have no problems. We did day trips to Gibraltar (went up to the top to see the monkeys - one actually took a ride on my back, and the caves of St. Michael which were remarkable, the drove all around it before heading back), Another day we went to Rhonda (and actually went back a second time). Don't miss Mijas which looks like an impossible place to go up to. Puerto Banus has the most remarkable yatchs that I have ever seen (and I live in Miami). Granada with its Alhambra, cathedral, old quarter should not be missed. And the only tour I would recommend is crossing over to Tangier in Morocco, we took the ferry and hired a guide, but I think we missed a lot and would have been better with the organized tour. Yes go to Seville, it is beautiful and if you want to see Flamenco, that would be the place, we went to Los Gallos and that was really something. I hope you get a good fare (I am having the same problem going to Austria in September). <BR>

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 01:47 PM
kris

We've used a consolidator for our last couple of trips-paid $269RT from Chicago last Sept to Madrid (my travel agent was quoting $900 fares)and this year $440RT from Chicago to Barcelona in May. You may find prices to be a bit higher in June since it is tourist season. Another place to look might be www.Travelocity.com, www.bestfares.com or www.expedia.com. Their fares seem to be lower that what the airlines or agents quote you. <BR> <BR>We tried the day trip to Tangier last year and were very disappointed. I think you'll find your time better spent seeing Ronda, Granada, Seville or even Gibraltar. <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 02:24 PM
Bob

Was in Toremolinos at Christmas and loved it - a delightful switchback walkway from the upper town to the beach level [far easier coming down than going up!] filled with bars, restaurants, and shops. Mijas, in the mountains behind, is a delightful "white" village, with a nice church, shops and a square (yes) bullring.

Old Apr 30th, 1999, 08:58 AM
Cindy T.

Does anyone know anything about the Kempinski Resort in the Marbella/Estepona area? It is very new and has only been open for a few months. We are trying to decide between Kempinski, Las Dunas or a resort closer to town in Marbella. Also, looking for a nice, well located place to stay in Seville. Any suggestions?

Old May 18th, 1999, 01:00 PM
ct

Is the temperature in Costa del Sol warm enough in April to just lounge on a beach for 2 weeks. Thanks for any info

Old May 18th, 1999, 04:01 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Cindy, the Kempinski was open when we were there, but looked like it wasn't finished yet, grounds especially but it's supposed to be THE place to go to. <BR>CT - When we were there in the beginning of April, the weather was comfortable and enjoyable, but didn't see many people just sunning on the beach anywhere. It was chilly and windy late afternoons and evenings.I don't think that would be the best time for sunning. Some hotels didn't even have their outdoor pools filled yet. <BR>