Search

Need advice on Cinque Terre day trip from Florence

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on Cinque Terre day trip from Florence

Hello,

I am traveling Venice-Florence-Rome with my DD (age 20) in early August (12days). DD would really like to go to Cinque Terre. I realize it's a long train trip from Florence for a day trip but am considering it as it looks beautiful and I think I would welcome the break from the busy city and heat. We won't be hiking, just want to see/stroll the beautiful beach, enjoy the scenery, stroll around the towns, enjoy the food and relax. I was thinking of taking a morning train from Florence to La Spezia, then change to the regional train to get to CT. Does this sound like the most efficient way to get there? I read on a website that there may also be a train that goes direct from Florence to CT on Sundays during certain seasons. Anyone heard about this?

I would also like your advice on the best way to see the towns of CT. Is it better to do the train hop on hop off or a boat tour? Can you get on and off the boat to see the towns? We don't need to see all 5 towns, even just a few would be fine. The boat tour really appeals to me as we love the water and it seems like the most advantageous way to see the beautiful CT towns.If we do the boat tour, which town should we depart the train?

I welcome any advice you may have for a day trip to CT.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 08:24 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The train would take 3-4 hours one way with multiple connections so it's really not easy as a day trip. It might be less hassle to book a day tour. CAF offers one and I'm sure the Florence Tourist office will have a list of other companies.

http://www.caftours.com/cinque-terre...ith-lunch.html
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 08:29 PM

The towns don't really have nice 'beaches', most are on rocky spurs...monterosso has an ok beach, not spectacular though.

You can get off the boats in each town, assuming they are running. Any rough seas and they can't dock and don't run. The train is the most reliable.

The scenery is great and the walk between riomaggiorre and manarola is a nice easy walk.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! Is there a best order to see the towns? Typically which town do you start with? Is the hiking between towns fairly easy?

I was really hoping to see the towns via boat, so thanks for the warning of the rough seas. If the boat isn't running, I will probably use the train to visit the towns.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

I'm finalizing my itinerary and had a few more questions. I am thinking about going to CInque Terre on a Sunday (beginning of August 2012). Are most shops/restaurants/boats,/trains, etc open on Sunday?

Is it noticeably more crowded on a weekend? Based on my schedule, Sunday is looking like the best day to go.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 01:40 PM

We stayed in manarola and,apart from the very easy stroll between manarola and riomaggiore, I would not describe the walks between the other villages as easy. They involve steep climbs from sea level and then back down again. In August the heat would be just too much. I found it pretty hot in may. The train may be the easiest way to see as much as possible but you would miss so much this way! CT rewards the slow traveller and cannot be easily appreciated in half a day which is all you'd have after travelling from Firenze.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 02:02 PM

Maur2010, it's sadly been 2 years since I visited CT, but would advise that if you do choose to try and fit CT into a day trip (not recommended because you will surely want to stay in one particular town for longer than the required stop before the next train comes that you need to be on) you might want to pick one town, or two (based on your own research of the towns and what you want to see) and spend your time there. Perhaps not the answer you were looking for, but in August, yes it will be crowded. Most everything will be open on Sunday (more experienced posters will be be able to provide details once you narrow down where you want to visit). Trying to "do" all 5 towns will ensure you will not get any chance to stroll or relax, which is what you are looking to do. As Jamikins says, train is most reliable, and with your tight timeframe, you'll be best suited with the train as opposed to boat, especially weather dependant. From my own perspective, I spent only two nights in Manarola and did manage to spend the full day we were there to visit all 5 towns. But, that did include a literal run up and down the path to "see" Corniglia (we saw the church and ran back down to catch the next train). I'm not saying a relaxing visit of one or two towns can't be done, but you should look into some research of each of the towns and see what appeals to you, then narrow it down. For me, Monterosso was a great walk around the town, and Vernzza was delightful (smaller, with a great waterfront area to relax). No beautiful beaches in the sense that there is white sand for miles, but being on that particular Italian coast, with the gorgeous sea and some sand counts in many books as a beach worth seeing!
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 02:08 PM

2010 I did a tour from Florence to CT - daytrip -- booked through AAA in US -- Driver took us to towns and then picked us up at next one -- Great day trip -- Beautiful pictures from boat between the towns. Had time for a wonderful lunch - I would recommend to anyone who has limited time -- This was relaxing and scenery to and from was nice also. Beautiful area.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 02:18 PM

CT - tour from : adventure bellissime -- 9 hr -
select florence then tour you wish.
we also did a best of tuscany tour - that was excellent also.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the great info! I am fine with just visiting 2 of the towns, possibly Monterosso and Vernazza and taking a boat ride to see the towns from the water (weather permitting).

Can you take a train from Florence to La Spezia with no stops?

Is it much more crowded during the weekend than during the week? With my schedule, it's better to go on the weekend, but if it's a lot more crowded, I may try to go during the week.

I would love to stay in CT longer or even overnight, but it's a short trip and I leave in a few weeks, so not sure if I could even get a hotel at this stage. Plus, I am taking the advice of many of you to not change hotels/cities so frequently to reduce my stress level
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 10:51 AM

There are a couple of regional trains without stops - but they take longer. Basically you have to deal with one change and 2.5 hours on the train - so you need to leave at least 6 hours for train and getting to/fro the stations - so not much time to see much of anything.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 12:57 PM

Trenitalia shows two direct trains on Sunday morning, August 19: The earliest leaves Florence at 6:10, arriving La Spezia at 8:49. The next train leaves at 7:45, arriving at 10:04.
(The 6:10 train also seems to operate on weekdays.)

There is a direct train returning leaving La Spezia at 18:54, arriving Florence at 21:12. (This train also operates on weekdays.)

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...0080a3e90aRCRD

You mention just visiting Monterosso and Vernazza. Back in October the CT was hit by devastating floods which mostly affected those two towns. Not sure what the status is now as to what's open now, but there's a lot of information on the Rick Steves site:

http://www.ricksteves.com/news/cinqu...e-disaster.htm

I would recommend taking the train from La Spezia to Riomaggiore and walking the Via dell'Amore to Manarola. It's a beautiful walk and not at all challenging. From Manarola you can continue by train to Vernazza, Corniglia and/or Monterosso. Weather and sea permitting, you could also go by boat between the towns.

You can have a good, if long, daytrip and enjoy a taste of this lovely area. Unfortunately, on a pretty August Sunday, you'll be enjoying it with many, many others. If you can arrange to go on a weekday, I'd do that.