Need advice on Barcelona hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two of us are headed to Barcelona in April 2009, where we will stay for 3 nights prior to our Mediterranean cruise. I’ve been reading reviews for hotels on Trip Advisor and of course, have found many positive reviews for many attractive hotels. Here’s the problem: when I read the reviews starting with the negative ones, I’m faced with what looks like a traveler’s nightmare. Obviously any hotel is going to have it’s share of detractors, but I’m finding a common thread through most of them - noise. Everything from underground metros and traffic to rooms with paper thin walls next to elevators or over bars/kitchens. Since we won’t be getting in till after
9 PM, I’m now having visions of getting stuck with one of these rooms and sitting up all night staring at the walls amid a din of racket. Does anyone have any advice for a relatively quiet, decent quality hotel, possibly not on a main street, that is still within a reasonable distance from the Barri Gotic (walking is not a problem for us). Thanks for any help!
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 10:32 PM

Barcelona is a city with a great selection of hotels, but you often get what you pay for, so the first question would deal with your budget. The second would concern the type of hotel you're looking for.

Remember, you have to take all hotel reviews, even those on TA, with a grain of salt and then make a judgment call.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 03:06 AM

www.apsishotels.com

especially the Atrium Palace although right on a main street and two blocks from the Placa Catalunya we were in a large room with a step-out balacony on that main street and heard no noise and no noise from other rooms. Great buffet breakfast, too.

There are MANY others to choose from but my rec would be to stay NEAR the Placa Catalunya if possibe..why? Within walking distance of the Gothic Quarter; at the top of Las Ramblas (yes, you DO need to see it); close to Metro transportation; great outdoor restaurants on the other SIDE of the Placa Catalunya and that part of "Las Ramblas" too.

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 11:10 AM

We recently stayed at the Hotel Monte Carlo on Las Ramblas and loved it. It was a great location and our room was very quiet. Best of all, the window had this electronic shade thing you could lower at night that made the room absolutely pitch black and added another layer of noise protection. One of the best night's sleep I've had in a hotel!

The staff at Monte Carlo was wonderful - extremely helpful and friendly.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 11:32 AM

kong:

a few years ago we stayed at the old colonial-style Hotel Gran Via, on Gran Via, around the corner from P.Catalunya... three blocks from the beginning of Barrio Gotic. Ask for a rear room...very quiet. Breakfast not included, but a good one available. Rates were quite reasonable then...less than $100 per night...probably up a bit now.

stu t.

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 12:27 PM

kong:

I did not mean to insult you, but I have no idea of your budget.
...I merely tell you that we were quite satisfied with the Gran Via and that the rate is inexpensive compared to the others mentioned
above. Your call.

stu t.

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 12:29 PM
CIB

http://www.hotel-inglaterra.com/

We stayed here last September for 3 nights and it was wonderful. Nice hotel and comfy beds.

Noise was not a problem and the hotel was very easy to find.

Seemed to be good walking location to everything.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 02:26 PM

o wpuld go fo the le meridien at the ramblas.
close to the harbour and within the "party" itself and as another plus: close to the gotic quarter.

div
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 02:50 PM

We stayed at Hotel Granvia recently and did not have a pleasant stay. Our room was so noisy that we did not sleep well. It is located on an extremely busy street, Gran Via. I can only describe the staff there as very indifferent in attitude. As Tower said, a room on the back is desirable. I had requested a room on the back overlooking a terrace and they emailed back telling me I would get such a room. I made a huge mistake failing to print out that response and take it with all the other confirmations. The only positive thing I can say is the location is convenient. They need to install metal noise control shades. We would not stay there again.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 05:09 PM

We loved our stay at Hotel Banys Oreintals--had a suite--reasonably priced, great location, (Le Born) and helpful staff.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Wow! What a response! Thanks to all of you for your helpful (and reassuring) input. As far as hotel price goes, I’ve been seeing an average of $250 - $350 per night and we’re OK with that. As for type of hotel, this will be my first trip to Europe since the military 30 years ago, so I don’t have much to compare it to (we’ve stayed in Marriotts in Hawaii and Miami and were comfortable there). We don’t need anybody to haul our bags around and I certainly don’t expect anybody to jump at the snap of my finger - so I’m not too worried about complaints that I see about service. As well as relatively quiet, clean and functional would be nice. In addition, I have just received an email from the GM of the Pulitzer and Regina hotels in response to one that I sent him regarding my questions. (Mr. Sanchez-Harguindey was one of few who seemed to care enough to respond to negative reviews in TA). Does anyone have any experience with either of these hotels? (Dukey & Attnymom - the Atrium and the Monte Carlo are 2 that I’ve been looking into- thanks)
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 07:38 PM

Another vote for the Apsis Atrim Palace . I stayed there for the 2nd time this past May. For stays of 3 days or more they offer a reduced rate in their website. We paid I think around 125 Euros for a double room.

The rooms and bathroom are modern and a decent size.

As has been mentioned previously, the location is excellent.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:53 AM

You might want to try Priceline if you are willing to pay $250-$300. We spent almost a week bidding for a 4* and then dropped to a 3* with no luck whatsoever. Staying within walking distance of the older Bari Gotic area is important IMO. Lots of good restaurants in that area.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:56 AM

I really liked Hotel Jazz. YOu might want to check out trip advisor and read the hotel reviews there.

Just know, location is important in barcelona, so make sure to stay in Bari Gotic or close by
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:28 AM

kong:

Nini is exactly correct about the Gran Via.....as I said, it must be a back room or nothing...but not knowing your budget, I tossed it in because it is rather inexpensive....but at the $250-300 level, you'll have a good wide choice. Barcelona is an electrifying city and you'll have a grand time of it.

stu
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 12:14 PM

kongpup:

You have probably selected a hotel by now but I can strongly recommend the Atlantis Hotel. 107 E per night in Oct. Large room with 2 good beds and a large bathroom. Very comfortable and clean. (#508) First room they showed us was on the street and VERY noisy. Our request to move was easily done. We felt completely safe in this area and it was a short easy walk to the Bari Gotic. We are in our 70's and I was concerned about distances but the location of the Atlantis was great. Close enough to the Ramblas but far enough away to avoid the noise and crowds.
The Atlantis is basic but all we needed for our days in Barcelona.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:10 PM

I recently stayed in Barcelona i just love the place it was great to be in the city like barca i have booked my hotel from here <a href="http://www.hotelsbarcelona.org/eng/bcn/">Barcelona Hotels</a>