Need advice: Itinerary from Bilbao to Santiago by train&bus

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents and I are planning to travel from Bilbao to Santiago de Compostela by train and/or bus in early September.

For we only have three days to get to Santiago de Compostela ( leave Bilbao Thursday morning; hopefully arrive in Santiago on Sat.) and my parents are 70+ years old, we prefer to travel maximum of 5 hours a day.
Could anyone give me an advice on the itinerary and transportation means?
( We prefer to go along Camino de Santiago as much as possible.)

At the moment, our plan is:
Day 1: Lv Bilbao by train to Leon(5hrs)
Stay at Parador in Leon

Day 2: Lv Leon by bus (Alsa?) to Lugo or somewhere; stay overnight

Day 3: Lv. Lugo or somewhere to Santiago by bus ? by train ?

I appreciate your help !
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 04:54 PM

pinguny,
You could go from León to Lugo by train on the Covadonga.. www.renfe.es says the trip takes about 4 hrs. 10 min. but train doesn't leave until the late afternoon. I think there are 2 daily busses which take 4 hrs., so the guides say. May be better to take the bus.
In Lugo you could stay at the Gran Hotel Lugo (www.gh-hoteles.com) From Lugo to Santiago is a 2 hr. bus ride, with many daily departures. There's no direct train service from Lugo to Santiago.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 06:17 AM

Friday afternoon/evening is preferible to arrival in Santiago on a Saturday, because the Pilgrim's Mass is Saturday at about 11:00 AM and having travelled that far, seeing the Botafumeiro isn't something they would want to miss.

Check out FEVE (http://www.FEVE.es) and Alsa bus lines. There's a FEVE special in August that's like a cruise. But that narrow gauge rail line goes as far as Betanzos and pretty much parallels the Camino Frances. From Betanzos, you can catch a bus to Santiago.

Alsa has a Supra service that costs a bit more, but it's worth it! You might have to change in Santander.(I believe Alsa gives 10% discount to Seniors - Renfe does not). Always ask for a Senior discount when you are buying your parents' tix.

Renfe will shunt you inland. FEVE and Alsa will stay pretty close to the north coast.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:10 AM

pinguny,
I checked the bus schedule Leon-Lugo at
www.alsa.es
There's a bus departing Leon at 10:05, arriving Lugo at 1:30, another leaving at 4:30, arriving 8 p.m. Cost: 12,53 euros but no Supra service on this route.

For Leon-Santiago:
There are 7 daily busses with 2 SUPRA (non-stop)departures:
1:45 p.m. and 9:45 p.m.
The SUPRA runs costs 12 euros, regular busses 9.17 and the SUPRA takes 1 1/2 hrs. versus 2 hrs. 15

You can get the schedules by clicking on "Horarios y rutas", then you must click on the departure province on the map, chose your city from the drop down menu, then click on the destination province and do the same for the city. Just put in a random date but no more than 60 days in advance.

I didn't mention the FEVE route because of your time constraints, but you can take the FEVE from Bilbao to Leon as well-however the ride takes 7 hrs. 10 min. The FEVE makes constant stops. It's the milk run.

I did see the Botafumeiro put in flight at the noon pilgrims' mass, and I've read in the Correo Galego that during this Holy Year, the Xacobeo, the Botafumeiro will be swung several times a day, so you may be able to see it more than once.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Maribel and Nedsireland:

Thank you very much for your immediate and detailed advice !

As both of you suggested, we consider taking Alsa bus service Bilbao-Leon-Santiago for our trip as a transportation.

( And thank you very much Maribel for checking Alsa's timetable for me, I had hard time opening its timetable at alsa's homepage ...I cannot open the " Horarios y rutas"...only frame is shown there !)

It seems to me taking bus is reasonable for us to travel the itinerary (especially if there are some senior discount as Nedsireland mentioned !).

I also checked FEVE for it runs close to Camino Frances.
FEVE's El Transcantabrico sounds so wonderful...too bad we don't have enough time.

All in all, do you think staying Lugo is a good idea as a second stop from Bilbao to Santiago ?
Or are there any other place we should stop over on the way from Bilbao to Santiago, instead of staying Lugo ?
i.e. Bilbao-(4~5hrs)Leon-(4~5hrs)Lugo or ??? - (less than 4 hrs)Santiago

And is it feasible to get to Santiago on Saturday afternoon ?
(We will plan to stay in Santiago for 3 days and I thought noon pilgrim's mass is held also on Sunday...)
If anyone happen to know sites that tells me the Botafumeiro/mass schedule, Iappreciate it.

Please let me know your opinion.

Old Feb 26th, 2004, 08:52 AM

Last year there was a pilgrim's Mass every day at 12:00 (except Sunday, I think). The incredible botafumeiro was in action at every Mass. The swinging takes place at the end of the Mass, so don't leave early. You can also arrive at 12:30 or so just to see the botafumeiro (a miniature of which sits on my computer...)
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 01:36 PM

pinguny,
The above mentioned Correo Gallego article stated that the plan for this Holy Year was to have 4, yes 4!, pilgrims' masses per day, and the botafumeiro would be swung during each. As Marija says, there was a pilgrims' mass every day at noon last summer. On our last visit we actually missed seeing the flight of the botufumeiro because we left mass early to tour the museum. S as Marija says, wait until the very end!
Also according to the article, each "flight" of the botafumeiro costs around 240 euros! (using 3 spoonfuls of incense per mass). But the Cabildo hopes to cover some of the expense through donations. They estimate that they will use 80 kilos of incense during this Xacobeo (Holy Yr.), triple the amount of a normal year.

Since you're using public transportation, Lugo makes a logical overnight for you.
According to www.alsa.es, there's a bus departing Lugo at 6:15 a.m., arriving
Santiago at 8:30, another at 10:45, arriving at 1:15 p.m. (non Supra)

If you were driving, I'd suggest the newly opened 4 star Parador at Monforte de Lemos, a converted 17th c. Benedictine Monastery. There is a Renfe station in Monforte, 1 km. from the Parador, but I don't know about train connections from Leon to Monforte then Monforte to Santiago, because the schedule function at www.renfe.es isn't working for me at the moment. I do know there's NO Alsa bus service from Monforte to Santiago.
You could email the Parador and ask about public transportation from Leon to M. de L. and from there to Santiago....
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 03:40 AM

Hi pinguny,

I can't recommend you at all to get the FEVE train from Bilbao to Leon. In theory, it takes 7 hours, but many times it takes longer. Also, it is a small train and last summer there was complaints from people having to stand up all the way from Bilbao to Leon.
I think you might find handy the official Xacobeo website :
http://www.xacobeo.es
All tourist offices in Santiago are going to be opened during the whole year (people working there have been told to get their holidays either now or at the end of 2004), and any of them are really helpful. The council will open 6 extra tourist offices between April and October, there will be a 24-hour hotline, and red-jacket guides in the streets answering queries.
http://www.santiagoturismo.com/

About the Pilgrim's Masses: There will be 4 each day at the main Altar(10.00, 12.00, 18.00, 19.30) and another at 13:30 on sundays and festivities. The Botafumeiro will fly at 12:00 and at 18:00 (at the end of the Mass). But if your parents are catholics, they might enjoy more the 11:15 Mass in the Corticela Chapel, a very small "church within the church" of Santiago. Most of the santiagueses have a special devotion for this tiny chapel. It is located on the left wing of the cathedral. It was an independent church until the XVI century, and it was the place where the foreign pilgrims heard their masses. The people in Santiago say that it is the Basque parochial church.
http://www.agalicia.com/santiago/lac...delacorticela/

Kind regards, Covadonga
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank You ! and New Itinerary Advice Needed !

Marija, Maribel, and Cova:

Thank you very, very much for all the great information !
We really can't wait for this great Botafumeiro swing at the mass.
(I guess we will attend both Sunday mass -sans Botafumeiro- and Pilgrims' on Monday.

As for the itinerary, today I found another (alternative) route to Santiago and I need advice/suggestions from everyone.

Day 1:
Bilbao - Leon
by RENFE or Alsa Bus
Stay at Parador in Leon

Day 2:
Leon - Monforte de Lemos
by RENFE (about 3 hrs: lv 14.07 Leon - arr. 17.10 Monforte de Lemos)
Stay at Parador in Moforte de Lamos

...instead of our original plan to stay in Lugo.

Day 3/4/5:
Monforte de Lemos -Santiago
by RENFE or Alsa Bus
Stay at Parador in Santiago

(...I must check Alsa's timetable, but I still can't see the page!!!
Could anyone help me ?)

I found there's a parador in Monforte de Lemos when I was browsing and wondered if it is better to stay in Monforte de Lemos than Lugo.

If our objective is to follow/learn Camino de Santiago and history of the era, which is better to stop by, Lugo or Monforte de Lemos ?

I appreciate your advice.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 08:59 AM

pinguny,
I checked Alsa's timetable and there is NO Alsa bus from Monforte de Lemos to Santiago, so it must be a loca bus co. if there is service. And Renfe (I was able to check today) only lists one daily train, departing 17:20, arriving 20:09).
I would say that staying in Monforte versus Lugo would be more of a chore, as your transportation options are fewer, but this Parador, a former Benedictine Monastery, would make a really special, memorable place to stay for you and your parents. It has 50 rooms distributed around a neoclasical cloister. See its photo album at
www.parador.es
I would still email the Parador and ask about bus service from Monforte to Santiago.
[email protected]

The Camino Frances doesn't go through either town. It passes mid-way between the two, in Portomarín.

Thanks cova, for the mass timetables. I didn't know where to look.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 09:36 AM

pinguny,
I just found the bus schedule on
www.xacobeo.es There's a ton of info there, but you have to dig a bit.

There are two daily busses from Monforte de Lemos to Santiago, run by the Monbus co.
One that departs 7:50, arriving 10 a.m., another (which doesn't run on Sun., hol.) that departs at 10, arrives at 12:20 p.m.

Hope that helps.