Need Advice for Alsace Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my frequent flyer ticket to CDG for the last 2 weeks of October. Have been agonizing over exactly where to go from there (would love the Dorgogne, but want to save that for Springtime) - so have decided on Alsace. I'm flying to Strasbourg from CDG(was able to get a cheapo Air France ticket, as that sounds easier than hassling with the train). AA flight arrives at terminal 2A at 9:20 A.M. - Air France flight departs terminal 2B at ll:10. Enough time? - Air France says yes, but I wonder?

My next decision is WHERE to pick up my rental car. Would appreciate any feedback on ease of pick-up at: Strasbourg Airport, train station, or Colmar. As I am paranoid about driving in large foreign cities (and I'll be solo) I thought I might spend the first night in Strasbourg, then train to Selestat (where there is an Avis location, near the train station). Any ideas on this much appreciated!

Next, where to stay? So far, I'm planning to stay about a week in Alsace, then rest of time in Paris. I saw a great review on this forum about a cute little hotel/restaurant in Dambach-la-Ville (near Selestat)- sounds cute and SO reasonable. (I'm trying to keep costs down this trip). I have contacted them and reserved for 4 nights. And would like to stay the last 2 nights in Strasbourg (which is getting filled up for that weekend already!). I made a reservation at Hotel L'Europe - anyone stayed there?

I have seen several great-looking places to stay (in Kaysersberg, Ottrott near Obernai)
and am still not sure. I'm also wondering if I should stay a little longer than a week, which of course I could do, as I've been to Paris many times. Any opinions on Nancy for a day or two? It looks rather interesting and pretty. If I decided to drive there, is the drive across the Vosges Mountains scary?
Even if I don't do that, what about the "Route des Cretes" as a daytrip. It looks lovely, but scary? Any feedback or ideas on all this is greatly appreciated!

Sue
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 06:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
ttt for Sue4
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 06:53 PM

I haven't spent a lot of time in the Alsace area, just Strasbourg and Nancy so can only comment on that. First, I did stay at Hotel l'Europe in Strasbourg and it was great, so that's a good choice. A very nice hotel and excellent central location.

I did a day trip to Nancy and it was a very nice city. I was only there a day but could have spent two days there. I especially enjoyed the Art Nouveau museum (which is one of the best in the world) and the regional decorative arts museum, which is also very good. There is a beautiful park there, also, and the main "place" is quite attractive and special. Nancy also is quite good for classical music, if that's of interest. If you go, just stop in at the tourist office in the main place (Stanislas?) and they will have lots of information.
http://www.ot-nancy.fr/
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for topping, Cigale. And for the reply, Christina. I was happy to hear you had stayed at the l'Europe, and liked it. And I have definitely decided to stop in Nancy for a night, possibly two, on my way back to Paris on the train. As I'll have plenty of time, I might also stop for a night or two in Reims - I'm anxious to see the cathedral there, as I'm a French history buff. Now I'm looking for hotels near the train station in Reims and Nancy. By the way, is it a long walk from the station to the l'Europe
in Strasbourg. I hate to take taxis!
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:23 PM

The MT roads in Alsace and Lorraine/Voges are very nice and mostly peaceful!
The Route de Vins in Alsace is wonderful and I love Obernai and especially Riquewihr - too bad you'll be alone as the area is really romantic.
The Hot l'Oriel and Rest le Sarment d'Or in Riquewihr are wonderful.
M
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:27 PM

Oh, re: rental autos - auto europe is often the best and will give you prices @ local AP and in town.
The prices in Oporto for July were identical at the A/P, train station and in town when we booked in early May.
M
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:32 PM

As mikemo says, "Route de Vins in Alsace is wonderful and I love Obernai." I can second that!!!!

We stayed in Ottrott, very near Obernai, and went to Obernai a couple of times. Had dinner there at a very good Thai restaurant in the center of town. (What can I say -- whenever my wife sees Thai, it's like a magnet. )

Alsace is a great place to visit!!
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:38 PM

Rest LaDiligence in Obernai is VG!
M
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 04:42 AM

Hi, Sue. I loved the Raisin d'Or in Dambach-la-Ville. I found this little town to be a charmer, verrry quiet, but with several nice restaurants, caves, a little town square, vineyards all around. Kayserberg was pretty, too, but we didn't stay there so can't recommend a hotel. You will be crazy about Alsace. By the way, if you've got a car while you're there, can't you just stay in Dambach the entire time and daytrip to Strasbourg, Colmar, Kayserberg, etc? (Maybe even to Freiburg in Germany?) J.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the nice replies- I'm really looking forward to this trip, have wanted to go to Alsace for years.
jmw44, I'm so happy to hear that you loved the Raisin d'Or and Dambach-la-Ville - I called the proprietor yesterday, and am now booked for 5 nights. I'll definitely have a car, so will daytrip to Obernai, Kaysersberg, Colmar and the rest. Except that I will stay my last 2 nights in Strasbourg (without a car), and train from there to Nancy and Reims, then back to Paris.

I'll be flying into Strasbourg the first day, though, and am still not sure about that night. As of now, I'm planning to spend the first jet-lagged night there. I'm not sure if I want to fool around with getting the car that day, and finding my way out of Strasbourg. I'm still considering picking up the car at airport, and driving to Ottrott for the night,(which doesn't look too far from the airport). I would definitely do that if I were absolutely sure my plane was arriving on time (noon). I have pretty close connections in Paris, so I'm a little worried about missing the Strasbourg connection, and getting in late, looking for Ottrott! Being alone makes things a little more "iffy" about driving! But I have driven in the Loire, Burgundy, and Provence and love doing it.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 10:52 PM

Sue, try the hotel les portes d'or, http://www.hotel-lesportesdor.com/index.htm, it's recommended in some tourist guides I've checked. It's very close to the gare SNCF. You could also try the Bon Weekend en Ville offer, http://www.tourisme.fr/index2.htm, in which you stay 2 nights on the weekend and only pay for 1 (the Web site says the offer is valid until October 31, but I don't see any reason why they won't prolong it to include November as well).
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 04:44 AM

Hi Sue. Will you be landing at Entzheim airport (apologies for spelling)? If so, it looks like you won't even have to drive into Strasbourg, yes? It should be a simple task to get to Ottrott (I can't find it on my map, but Obernai is not far) for your first night. I really think you'll be able to make that connection at CDG. And surely there would be later flights to Strasbourg if necessary? Did you see the access map at the Strasbourg airport's website? Later, J.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Keren, thanks for the reply. I'm definitely going to check into the "Bon Weekend en Ville" idea. Strasbourg and Reims don't offer that, but Nancy does.

And jmw44 - I love that Entzheim Airport website! That is really helpful to me, with the access maps and all. Anyone going to Alsace should check out this site, just to see the beautiful pictures of Alsace on the site. Thanks for the tip about it!
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 08:07 AM

Before you leave, take a look at the list of winners of the Ville et Villages Fleuris competition held annually in France. Awards are given of one to four star-equivalents for towns that have done an especially good job of floral plantings. Alsace usually wins the most awards, and while not all the flowers will still be in bloom when you're there, some will. Here's a link to an article about the contest:

http://www.bonjourparis.com/pages/ol...articleId=1476
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 08:32 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We spent a couple of days in Alsace last September. Try to see The Haut-Koenigsbourg Castle. Pretty drive and a neat castle. We stayed in Ribeauville, and the guy at our restaurant said the Hotel Arnold in Itterswiller had one of the best restaurants in the area. Unfortunately it was closed on the night we wanted to eat there. Four-course meal for abvout 30 Euro, if I remember. Have fun. I think you'll love the Route des Vins.

Old Jun 28th, 2004, 09:32 AM

On reason I chose the Hotel l'Europe in Strasbourg was because it was in the Petite France area and thus in-between the train station and the cathedral. I also planned day trips by train and wanted a hotel within walking distance of the train station, which it was. That is a pedestrian area, but taxis are allowed in to take you to a hotel. I used a taxi upon arrival because I had baggage (and wasn't sure where it was) and that was a minimal fare. I walked to/from the hotel for my day trips. It was less than a mile, for sure -- maybe 1/2 mile; it wasn't too bad but was not just a few blocks.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 12:03 PM

Hi!
Strasbourg and Colmar are large towns, while those on the Route de Vins are tiny.
I live a few months a year in the ancient Centro of San Miguel de Allende, MX - a national treasure and preserved since the 1930's.
So, you know my preferences.
Regardless, the wines from Alsace are magnifique!
M
M
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Underhill, enjoyed your article about the Villes et Villages Fleuris. That will be a fun thing to seek out on my trip. Maybe there will still be some flowers in mid-October! I was in Burgundy last October, and stayed at the Chateau d'Ige, where the flowers were still gorgeous in their beautiful garden. And it was cold!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 05:31 AM

All this flower talk --I find myself wondering if you will be as enchanted with the Alsace villages at the end of October. My memories of Dambach are flower ladened. What about the vineyards? I don't even know when they harvest. Dear me, it seems like I'm raining on our wine road parade here, but I can mention one thing that should be just as aesthetically pleasing in October (or more) -- that's the onion pie! Taste one for me! And please come back to tell us about your discoveries. J.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 05:31 AM

A few years ago we flew into Paris, rented at car at the airport and then drove to Alsace--a pleasant drive through Champagne. We stayed 2 nights at the Hotel Dissler in Riquewihr--not expensive, and also had a delicious meal there. We explored Kaiserberg the next day, again a lovely quaint town. I don't like to stay in cities (Paris, Rome and Venice excepted) so I am always seeking small towns or villages in which to stay. We always go in October for 3 weeks and except for the first and last nights, never make reservations, as we just drive wherever we wish. Never had a problem getting a room-- Probably not a plan for everyone though! Anyway, I loved Alsace and can't wait to go back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -