Search

need advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need advice

Will be taking our first trip to Itally at the beginning of May. Time is limited due to work obligations. The only thing that is certain is we will be traveling by train from Strasbourg, France (hear the travel through the Alps is beautiful) to Venice. From there we have 8 days to see parts of Venice, Tuscany,Florence and Rome
Here are our thoughts.

Spend 2 nights in Venice. 1 day sightseeing.
Departing early the 3rd day and taking the train to Florence.
Pick up a car in Florence and drive to Tuscany. Use that as a base for several days. Day trip to Florence and day trips to countryside.
Either drive to Rome or drop car off and take the train to Rome.
Spend 2 or 3 days (depending on how many we spend in Tuscany).

Leave early on the 9th day.

I am not big into art. My spouse wants to see some churches and church history but does not have to see every church. I am more interested in countryside and the people. I also want to see the historical section of Rome.

What do you think of the itinerary? Should we spend 4 nights in Tuscany and 2 in Rome or 3 and 3? Could use any advice.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 12:44 PM

I know many people love Rome, but personally I only needed one day to see many of the sites. For me, after traveling all over France and Italy, Rome was just another big city with some old ruins mixed in. Yes, we had to see it, but compared to traveling thru all the small towns it just didn't compare for me. I'd give the extra day to Venice. We went in May and the waters weren't smelly at all, it was absolutely beautiful and charming!
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 12:45 PM

You'll get more responses if you re-post your question and put Italy in the title. Just saying "need advice" doesn't let anyone know what you need advice about.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 12:51 PM

"Will be taking our first trip to Itally"

Then why are you trying to cover so much of the country in one trip?

You'll get lots of views but most will tell you you're trying to cover much too much. Have you already bought your airline tkts? If yes, from where do you leave, Rome? Where do you live?

Old Jan 7th, 2006, 01:35 PM

I agree that you're trying to see all corners of Italy on a very limited number of days. If you can't lengthen the trip, then I'd cut out at least one destination - for me that would be Rome.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 02:34 PM

I agree with St.Cirq which is why I was asking if you'd already bought the tickets and out of where.