Need accomodations for Mid March for 2 nights in or near Zermatt or Saas-Fee

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have finally finalized our Europe trip, which will have us in the Switzerland area in the middle of March for 4 days. We are looking to ski in the Zermatt area for one day. However, when I check for any availability for 3 days two nights, I can not find anything. We definitely started too late in checking for accomodations in the Zermatt area.

We are looking for either two rooms for 6 persons 3 & 3 (4 adults and two children) or an apartment that will sleep 6. If anyone has any other recommended resources for non traditional accomodations, it would be appreciated, as we need to make reservation quickly. If not, maybe suggesting a nearby town (like Tasch) that is not too far away from skiing either Zermaat or Saas-Fee.

Also, if anyone has stayed in the Tasch area how cumbersome is it to go skiing from there.

Thank you in advance
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 10:35 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
If you haven't already, you might want to contact the Zermatt/Saas Fee tourist offices and ask for a list of available rooms during your stay (assuming there are any)

Here are the web sites:

http://www.zermatt.ch/index.e.html
http://www.saas-fee.ch/en/welcome.cfm

Good luck!
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Melnq8 for you recomondations. I have found a hotel in Tasch called Hotel Tascherhof-Bahnhof.

If anyone has any comments regarding this hotel and the area, it is appreciated.
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 10:45 PM

Regarding Tasch - this is a good alternative, as Tasch is only about 5 km from Zermatt. Trains from Tasch to Zermatt run about every 20 minutes or so. If you're driving, you'll need to park your car in Tasch and take the train to Zermatt.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Again, thank you for your input Melng8. I am a bit apprehensive about booking in the hotel Tascherhof, since I don't have many reviews. It would be nice to hear a first hand comment.

Traveling 15-20 minutes to Zermaat however, does not bother me since we usaully stay about that distance when we go skiing in the US.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 07:39 AM

My family ( the parents, 2 children) stayed 3 nights in Saas Fee during high season, late December 2004. It was hard fo find accomodation accepting gusts for less than a week then. They stayed at Hotel tenne, a 2 stars, in a suite and were very happy with it.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 10:37 AM

Typical standard ski holiday's in Europe last from Sat to Sat (one week or two weeks) and most hotels, guesthouses and appartments do not want to give away their rooms for only one or two days (even if they have rooms available), as they will have problems to fill the rooms for the remaining days of the week.

You can hope for a last minute booking, as it might be possible, that some people have to cancle their vacation.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 02:31 PM

Elmo -

Can't help you with the hotel, but if it's any consolation, the Swiss have very high standards when it comes to their hotels. In half a dozen trips to Switzerland, I've only run across one hotel that I'd avoid in the future. We usually stay in three star hotels (Hotel Tascherhof-Bahnhof is three star).