Need accommodation advice from the Edinburgh experts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had a chance to do nearly as much reading up on Edinburgh as I would like. But I have read enough here to know that Fodor's has some wonderful resident Edinburgh experts who are very generous with their help. So I'm hoping they'll take pity on me!

I found this place by following a link that was posted on Fodor's yesterday:

http://www.budgetscot.com/index.php?...&Itemid=35

Sorry but I'm not computer literate enough to figure out the tiny url business.

I e-mailed and they responded to tell me that they would have a twin room available for my 19 year old son and myself for three nights in mid-June for a total cost of 180 pounds. That seems like a decent rate to me, considering that it includes a full breakfast. And the place looks fine. But I just don't feel I know enough about Edinburgh to make an informed decision.

The thread that I got this link from made me realize that proximity to the train station is important. We don't really want to be dragging our luggage all over the place! But, of course, we'd also like to be close to the sights, pubs and restaurants, etc.

And cost is a definite concern. Though I think that a B&B is the way to go as I really like the idea of having a good breakfast before we set out in the morning rather than having to go out and look for a place to eat.

I noticed that this place charges a 9% deposit and a booking fee. Is that usual for Edinburgh?

Does anyone know anything specific about this place? Is the location good? And does the price seem good?

Or can someone recommend a place that they think would better meet our needs?

And one last question. I noticed that there is an international film festival starting the same day we plan to arrive. Is that likely to cause problems with finding lodging? Or with the prices being bumped?

Thanks so much for any feedback!

Old Feb 10th, 2009, 02:12 PM

Deposit and Booking Fee is normal - and to me preferable than paying the full amount in advance!

We stayed at this place (Adam Drysdale) and found the host to be excellent. It is very near the center and so pretty easy to navigate around. Very Scottish Hospitality.

Its always best to book early in Edinburgh as it seems to have festivals and such things happening all the time.

Edinburgh is a nice city. And in my opinion the Bed and Breakfast is budget but very clean and tidy with fantastic breakfasts!

Recommended (at least by myself, wife and seven year old daughter).
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, edika! I didn't think I'd get lucky enough to hear from someone who has actually stayed there! It sounds like just what we're looking for!

Old Feb 11th, 2009, 07:11 AM

Caph--In case you need an alternative, check out the Jury's Inn. It is just off of the Royal Mile and a short walk to the train station (pretty much just across an easy bridge). Our stay was in 2001, so I am obviously not current on rates or anything, but the location was very good and it is a budget type of place. The hotel had a breakfast, but we only went once. Out the back door, in a close, was a fantastic tea place with scones, etc that we hit every morning instead. Like I said, our visit was a while ago so I don't know if that place is still there, but at least this gives you something else to check out if the B&B doesn't work. Enjoy, Edinburgh is a fascinating city!
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, mms! I really appreciate that!

I am looking forward to this trip, really I am. But right now I'm at that stage where my head is spinning and nothing seems to be fitting together quite right...!

It doesn't help that I'm trying to deal with Ireland stuff (DD's wedding), Barcelona stuff for DH, DS and me and UK stuff for DS and me.

Poor me, to have such problems, right?!
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 07:31 AM

Caph--I can relate. I planned that trip while DH was deployed. When he returned, we left just a couple days later and were gone for 3 weeks and did Edinburgh, London, Paris and Normandy. Sometimes thats the way it goes, and while it seems crazy, it is also a lot of fun. Enjoy!
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

I'm glad to know yours worked out well, mms. It gives me hope!
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 04:19 PM

CAPH52 -

I'm most CERTAINLY not an expert on Edinburgh, but I DID spend two nights there, back in '07.

We stayed in a VERY conveniently located Gueathouse that did B&B for 60 GBP per ROOM per night (back when a GBP was US$2 per !), called the Elder York.

Here's a link to an outrageously long report, but you only need the first few days, at the begining. Includes prices and links:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35054440

Bob

PS: WHEN is the wedding?
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Bob! I really appreciate that recommendation! I'm going to follow your link in just a minute.

The wedding is June 6th. If you're so inclined, say a little prayer that this summer is drier than the last two. The reception is going to be in the groom's parents' backyard!

Come to think of it, I suspect you'll be saying that prayer for yourselves anyway. You're going back in June, right?
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 04:46 PM

Yar -

We arrive SNN, the morning of the 13th. Return is mid-day, on the 28th. Renting here:

http://www.millstreet.ie/Links/dooneen/dooneen.html

Have 14 days , all-in, for 540 Euro. MAY do a 'side-trip' to either Brussels, Paris, or ...???

Good news is, '09 CAN'T be WETTER than '7 or '08 ...

Bob
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 04:48 PM

Hi Caph52,

I hope Caroline or Sheila (the area experts) pop in with an opinion.

I was in Edinburgh last April. My legs definitely remember the up and down of the streets (lines on a flat map do Not give you any idea of what you will experience once you get once there!).

Looking at the 3 offered so far, I think, in terms of geography, you would like them in this order:

1 Jury's Inn
2 Elder York
3 Adam Drysdale

I never walked over the way of the Adam Drysdale, but looking at the location map, comparing with my memory, I really wonder what the actual geography would feel like.

Google maps says it is at least a mile, maybe a bit more, from the train station. Elder York is a little over a quarter mile, and Jury's Inn is practically spitting distance, less than a tenth of mile.

Hope this helps. Cheers.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 04:49 PM

Hijacking a bit here

Bob--Don't rule it out just yet. We were in Paris in June/July 2007 and will be back this June. DD swears we bring the rain with us whenever we travel. So I will apologize right now, in advance
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 05:02 PM

Hi again,

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35128123

That's my report. I stayed further away in the New Town, but it was in an excellent location for getting 3 different bus routes.

If your lodging is not as close as the Jury's Inn or Elder York, being on a good bus route could be a way to evaluate your choices. I did not mind having to bus a few minutes (about 15, I think it was, to get to the Castle from where I stayed). The museums mostly do not open until 10am. I am an early riser; the time spent on getting to the Royal Mile helped fill in the time between breakfast and having a place to visit!

PS: if you love Greyfriars Bobby, definitely visit the Edinburgh Museum for the display. Cheers.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Well you <i>are</i> coming from the PNW, right, mms? Please tell me you won't be in Europe until after the 6th?! Seriously, you remember my trip to visit DD two years ago? Well, the only rain I encountered was in Paris. So if you're going to be in France, we should be safe! I hope you have a great trip!

Sounds like you've got a great trip planned, Bob! I hope you and your wife have a wonderful time. And I'm somewhat relieved to read that you haven't decided on your side trip yet. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one still hashing out details for that time of year!

I sent an enquiry to the guest house. Again, thanks for the rec. And the link. I enjoyed reading the Scotland part of your report. You've given me some ideas! And I'm glad to have that link you used to find the guest house. If that one doesn't work out, there are plenty more there to check out!

scotlib, thanks again for your help! I really appreciate knowing how close each of those is to the train station.

As I wrote on another thread, I'm trying to figure out whether we're doing the right thing spending three nights each in London and Edinburgh. Or whether we should add a night to London and cut one from Edinburgh. I have no doubt that we could find enough to do in London for another day. But I don't want to short Edinburgh either. And we really want to spend one of our days there on the bus tour to the Highlands. Will we find enough to do in Edinburgh if we spend all of one day and most of another?

Again, thank you to you all!
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, scotlib! I have to get off in a minute to fix supper. But I will definitely be reading your report later!
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 05:23 PM

Caph--LOL, yes the PNW...and we don't leave til 6/15...so the wedding is safe BTW, the tea place near Jury's Inn was called Mrs. Forsyth's Tea Room. If it is still around, stop by. We loved the place and the owner came to expect us every day. She was so friendly, and so good to our children. It was in the close between the Royal Mile and the back door of the Jury's Inn. Maybe a local will know if it is still around.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for finding that name for me, mms! It sounds lovely.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 05:26 PM

<i>Will we find enough to do in Edinburgh if we spend all of one day and most of another?</i>

I went all out for my week's visit and missed plenty of the sites in my guide books. I did not visit the gardens or Queen's yacht. I know I did not get to a couple of museums, for all the many that I did see!

Simple answer is yes
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 05:37 PM

OMG, yes, there is so much to do there! Climb Arthur's Seat, Scott Monument, the castle of course, Hollyrood...these alone will fill your time.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -