Notices

Need a Paris Hotel recommendation.

Old Oct 11th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a Paris Hotel recommendation.

My sister and I are traveling to Paris in March 2005. This is our first trip and we can only stay 6 nights. We have done some research on the internet but with each place that has been recommended I've found some reports aren't very favorable. Please Help. Require a charming medium priced hotel in a good location with a friendly staff. Thank you for any assistance.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 02:49 PM

Welcome to the forum, cydney!

There are many posts about Paris hotels already, a seach here would be a good first step. Also, what does "medium-priced" mean to you?

~Liz
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Sorry that I was not clear on what medium priced meant with our budget. With the exchange rate on the Canadian dollar we don't want to go over 180 euros per night.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 05:51 AM

Look at Residence Henry IV. I took my mother in law to Paris a few years ago, and I loved this charming little hotel, on a dead end street facing a little park. It's 155 euro at high season, 133 euro other times. The staff always greeted us by name, gave us phone messages without being asked because they recognized us. My room had a little balcony looking out on the park and another in the bathroom looking at the back garden. Upper floor rooms have windows, not balconies. Metro stop is a fe blocks away, and I liked the untouristy location near the Pantheon.
http://www.smallandeleganthotels.com/Paris/henri.htm
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 06:05 AM

The following address is direct to the Residence Henri IV:

[email protected]
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 06:16 AM

Cydney,
In the convenient right bank, 4 arr., near Notre Dame, Ile St. Louis, Metro, is the Caron de Beaumarchais. It is run by a very friendly father/son team, the Bigeards.

Rooms are small but well-appointed. We have stayed there many times. Runs about 140 euros a night. The district is the Marais, a Greenwich Village/SOHO type locale, lot of nice shops. Try restaurant Le Pamphlet if you do stay there.

Paris is marvelous. Good luck.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 06:29 AM

Here are other hotels almost universally recommended, in your price range--I've been researching myself for a return visit this Dec.

These are simple hotels (as opposed to luxury), clean, some more charming than others, but all said to be convenient and pleasant

Grand Hotel des Balcons (6th)
Hotel St-Jacques (5th)
Hotel Bonaparte (6th)
Hotel Brighton (1st)
Hotel des Etats Unis Opera (2nd)
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 06:30 AM

Read this: http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...2&tid=34534216
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 07:01 AM

We just returned from Paris where we stayed in the Hotel des Saints-Peres on the Left Bank. It was our third visit to the H des SP and we love it more than any Paris hotel. It is in your price range and is charming, welcoming, convenient and in a great location 5 minutes from 2 Metro stops.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 07:43 AM

Just returned from a stay at Le Clos Medicis. We stayed in a deluxe room which was 210 euro but standard rooms are in the 180 range. Rooms are not huge which is standard for Paris. The decor is simple and stylish. Staff were very helpful and friendly which always improves the stay!. The hotel is in an excellent location on the left bank in between the latin quarter and St Germain areas. Very close to Luxembourg RER station which has direct trains to the airport and Gare Du Nord.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 08:55 AM

March is certainly not "high season" so you should be able to get low season rates. If you email a hotel directly (rather than through parishotels.com or some such site) you may even be able to negotiate a bit. Why not try it -- the worst that could happen is that they'll stick with their price, and the best is that they'll come down. Often hotels give you 4 nights for the price of 3 off season. Maybe they would give you 6 nights for the price of 4...
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 10:01 AM

cydney, the Hotel Jardin de l'Odeon is quite central and it got some good reviews, (although a few rants too) at Cybevasion and Trip Advisor. They have promotional rates for your dates, bur beware, there's a penalty for cancellations, as well as a small booking fee.

Check it out at:

http://www.hoteljardinodeonparis.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...TEST60465.html

http://www.cybevasion.com/hotels/fra...odeon_109.html
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 10:11 AM

Duquenes Eiffel....

We were in Paris 3 years ago and loved this hotel, we recommended it to my sister who loved it as well.

It is a 10 min walk from the Eiffel Tower and very near Metro stations and many bistros as well.

We had a room with a small balcony that overlooked the Eiffel Tower - it was absolutely the best view in the entire world especially at night when the tower was lit.

I recommend this hotel whole - hearedly without reservation. Just ask for a room with a Tower view.

Here is the website:
http://www.duquesneeiffel.com/duques...ris_france.htm

Enjoy!

Donna

Old Oct 12th, 2004, 12:00 PM

I've never seen a Paris hotel that had low season rates in March. It is high season (in terms of hotel rates) from all the listings I've seen.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 03:24 PM

www.dacialuxembourg.com

Dacia Luxembourg in the Latin Quarter near The Sorbonne. I found it to be "a charming medium priced hotel in a good location with a friendly staff"
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 05:33 PM

I have only stayed in the 1st arr. It is the most centrally located part of Paris. Everyone has their favorite arr. I took my sister in March 04 and we stayed this time at the Clarion St James and Albany. It was under $200 US. I have also stayed at Hotel Louvre Montana and HOtel Lotti.

People on here will give you good ideas.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 05:41 PM

In Quartier Latin (5th arr.), The California St. Germain and the Abbatial St. Germain have got plenty of Parisian charm and are well within your price range, and they have great locations. A little further away in the 6th, the Aramis St. Germain is a good choice. I stayed in a right bank hotel (then the Alexandra, now the Ibis Grands Boulevards) that was perfectly fine and affordable but lacking on charm. It had a great breakfast room tho.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 10:02 PM

I liked the Abbatial St. Germain but we had a larger room on the 5th floor with nice views. So ask for a large 5th or 6th floor room otherwise I hear that there are some pretty tiny rooms. Nice staff too.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 01:25 AM

Have a look at the Hotel Saint Dominique not far away from the Invalides and not really far from the Champs Elysees and the Eiffel Tower. I love this hotel, it's one of my favourite one in Paris because of its location...not far away from a lot of famous things to see. Staff is friendly and it is located in a calm street..to sleep, really you need something like that in Paris because in a lot of hotels, if you are on the street side, you can hear the noise of the cars all along the night...Horrible! So maybe this hotel can be OK for you, it is a 2 star hotel but with really good services and the prices are a little bit less high than what you were exepected to spent..But I imagine that it is not a problem )!!! They have a website: www.saintdominique.com!