Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need a lady-friendly hotel in Naples (no, not that kind...)

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since my life is a sea of undulating changes I will now be staying in Naples for a few nights with another lady friend.

Any suggestions?

We want to be able to walk around at night safely from the hotel and need to get to the airport on the last morning.

Thanks!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 10:35 AM

Reco Hotel Pinto Storey on Piazza Amadeo. Inexpensive, about 120E and newly refurbished.
Located at bottom of funiclare to Vomero and also at the metro station. At end of via Chiaia which is a main shopping street.
Stayed there last year and enjoyed it very much.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 10:39 AM

I am female, and went to Naples alone a couple of years ago. Stayed at the Albergo Sansevero Degas (right off the Piazza del Gesu in the historical center), and would happily do so again.

They have two other locations nearby, all of which have plenty of feedback here. Type "albergo sansevero" into the text box at the top of this page to pull up many threads.

www.albergosansevero.it
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 10:40 AM
farflung

I'm not sure walking anywhere safely at night, let alone the day, in Naples is possible, it's pickpocket paradise there.

Anyway, I've stayed at a tiny B&B, only four rooms, but in a 14th century monastery which the owner refurbished himself - he's an art restorationist - you have breakfast in Mother Superior's chapel room. The place had high vaulted ceilings, huge chandeliers, and interesting artwork and sculpture everywhere. The owner's dad is a renowned Italian artist.

It's also a 5 min. walk from the archeological museum which is worth visiting - even the cabinetto segretto (secret room) which you must ask for a special ticket for when you buy your entrance ticket.

The B&B is:
B&B Donna Regina
via Luigi Settembrini, 80
Naples, Italy
phone: 39 (081) 446-799
If you get the maid on the phone, her English is not so good have your Italian dictionary handy, but the owner is a good speaker. They do email, however, unfortunately I do not have their address.

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 10:46 AM

I am a single mother with a toddler and was in Naples last September. I stayed at Le Fontane al Mare, located at Via Niccolò Tommaseo, 14 (011-39-081-764-3811). It is across from the beachfront and Castel dell'Ovo, and next to the Villa Communale (lovely park, Naples Aquarium is there too). The hotel is actually up on the 5th floor of a building and you pay 10c to ride the elevator up (or you can walk and get plenty of daily exercise!). I felt very safe walking around the area at night, to and from restaurants, cafes, etc. Even went to the beach in the evening (across the street!) There is a great pizza restaurant next door with reasonable prices, as well as some terrific seafood places nearby. The room rates are ~ 100 euros for a double with a balcony and fantastic seaviews.

The approx cost from the Naples airport to the hotel is 20 euros, and about 6 euros from the Naples train station. Alternatively, I took the local busses which ran effeciently, and only cost 1,25 euro.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Wow, so fast!!
Thanks, I will look into all of these.
This is why Fodors is such a great site!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 11:23 AM

The Hotel Miramare would be a good choice. It's on the waterfront in an area of mostly upscale hotels and restaurants. The hotel staff are extremely nice and helpful. Naples is a beautiful and interesting city but can be a little "dicey" in places, just use some caution and you should be fine.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 11:28 PM

check out the hotel chiaia del charme. it is in a good location, rooms very nice and reasonable price. had a great bathroom too! I stayed there in August 2003 and really liked it.

www.hotelchiaia.it
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 10:08 AM

You can always go to the Journeywoman website. It's all about woman friendly establishments around the world, and great travel tips for traveling solo
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 11:43 AM

farflung,

We are traveling next week to that very same B&B. Hope it is a nice place. Your description sounds very interesting. If you have any suggestions for visiting around the town I would sure appreciate it.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 02:10 PM
ira

Hi Nick,

You might find the Naples part of my trip report helpful.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34451044