Need a hotel for a couple nights in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to be in Europe to celebrate my 2nd year as a breast cancer survivor ( Yay for me!). We are looking to spend a couple nights in Paris. We would like a hotel that is a nice combination of the traditional French boutique style and the typical faceless American style. My husband has never been out of the US and I am afraid a true French boutique style hotel may be a bit much for him. I have been looking at Jays Paris and Sofitel Fauborg. Any other suggestions? We would like to be close to most of the touristy stuff as this is my first time to Paris also. I am expecting to pay around $500.00 usd per night but would love to pay less.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 05:43 PM

Congratulations!

I looked up Jays Paris (pretty rooms) and it's in the 16th arrondissement which is primarily residential. It's not all that close to most of the typical sights (although you didn't specify exactly which sights you are interested in).

The room photos did give me an idea of what you're looking for but sorry I can't help with a recommendation since I've never stayed in anything that fancy! You can get very nice rooms for much less than $500 per night.

I would look for something more central in the 1st, 4th, 5th, or 6th arrondissement. Are you looking for a very large room?
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 05:49 PM

Here's a couple of suggestions.

http://www.hoteldupantheon.com/
http://www.varenne-hotel-paris.com/index.html
http://www.hoteldaubusson.com/
http://www.l-hotel.com/
http://www.abbaye-paris-hotel.com/pages/hotel_1.html
http://www.hoteldanube.fr/
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 05:36 AM
ira

Hi Z,

If you won't mind saving some money
In Paris, we always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. From 134E dbl w/bkfst. It is just around the corner from Place St. Sulpice, near 3 metro stops and 4 bus routes. Has AC and an elevator.

The staff speaks English well, and is very helpful. The front desk is staffed 24/7

They can arrange a shuttle pickup to/from CDG for you.

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
[email protected]
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search the forum" box.

You could get one of the larger, fancier rooms. It has very little of the faceless, US chain style, but the staff are very helpful and speak very good English. Breakfast (Croissant, roll, coffee or chocolate, butter, jam jelly, juice) can be served in your room without extra charge.

Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:14 AM

My niece stayed at the Bonaparte and I believe she had a view (or partial view) of the Eiffel Tower.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 09:51 AM

I think there are a lot of nice hotels in the 16th, I think some businesspeople like staying there, but might not be the best location for you given you want to be near tourist things if it were far out. If the hotel were near the Trocadero, I think the location would be fine for you. If it is the part of the 16th just below the Champs Elysees, I think it would be fine, also. Jays isn't too far from the Kleber metro, but I really think that you would find a different area more suitable given your goals. That Sofitel isn't too far from the Madeleine metro stop in the 8th, and that would be fairly convenient for you. It's just above rue St Honore which is full of deluxe shops, if you like that kind of thing. It's a better location for what you want than Jays.

I think there are a lot more modern-style Paris hotels nowadays, in fact, too many of them. It's just the latest look (minimalism), I found a whole bunch of them recently looking for something around the Marais, but I didn't particularly want one. It sounds like you just don't want a small French hotel with period furniture from Louis whatever (is that what you are thinking when you say French boutique hotel).

I'd suggest the Lutetia on the border of the 6th and 7th. It is across from a nice small park and Bon Marche dept store and Epicerie is just a block away or so, and it's near a metro stop. It is also a long-time French deluxe hotel with a famous histroy, and is definitely not small. They are used to international clientele and so it would be a French experience but not some some, quirky French boutique hotel with Louis XIV furniture and red velvet drapes, if that's what you fear.
http://www.lutetia-paris.com/en/rooms/rooms.aspx

It's near/in St Germain and is close to the Musee Orsay and would be a convenient location, I think.

They have deluxe rooms for about 300-350 euro.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:15 AM

Hi Zap -

I'm a cancer survivor too, so I'm so pleased for you! I stayed at Hotel Madison on Blvd. St. Germain in the 6th arrondissment. It's in a nice neightborhood, close to 2 Metro stops, and breakfast is included. My favorite museum was the Musee Rodin (Metro stop: Varenne). It's in a lovely old hotel with a charming garden. I really enjoyed my river cruise along the Seine. There's an adorable jewelry shop called Nadine Delphine on Rue Princesse (Metro stop: St. Germain). My favorite meal was at Le Cigale Recamier (Metro stop Sevres-Babylone). If you enjoy flea markets, there is a fun one at the Porte de Vanves on Saturdays and Sundays. Hope that helps, and bon voyage!
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 11:22 AM

Congratulations and have a very nice vacation!
You deserve an elegant hotel, very central located!

Try http://www.regina-hotel.com/ , hotel Regina is 4 starts, near the Louvre and Place Vandome. The price is between 250 Euro and 500 Euro / night, depend on the room type.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 11:34 AM

My sister stayed at Hotel de l'Abbaye and loved it. Great neighbourhood!

Thin
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. I am going to make a choice here shortly as time is running out.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 12:23 PM

I am going to throw another hotel that I like into the mix--Le Walt in the 7th. It's not too big, near great transportation, a good location for walking to the Eiffel Tower before retiring and watching it twinkle. You will have a wonderful time whatever you choose. Good luck.

Mrs. Laidback
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 01:47 PM

Yes, the Regina is in an enviable location. I have walked by it many times.

Thin