Nearly one month Europe intenerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings to all! I am planning a trip to Europe and wanted to run by my itenerary to the people! I have never been to Europe. Our parties- 2 are in their late 20's and 2 are retired. We have friends in Hamburg, Germany and will start off our stay there.
Let me know what you think and if it is too much, help me weed this baby out! We will have a car and can go on the autobahn.
September
7- arrive in Hamburg @ 6- walk around town
8- all day Hamburg
9- all day Hamburg
10- morning drive to Amsterdam
11- all day Amsterdam
12- morning drive to Brugge
13- all day Brugge- spend night
14- all day Brugge- night train to Paris
15- arrive Paris in morning- all day
16- all day Paris
17- all day Paris- night train to Frankfurt
18- River tour from koblenz-rudesheim
spend night in Bacharach
19- drive to Baden Baden- spend night
20- afternoon drive to Venice spend night
21- all day Venice
22- all day Venice
23- drive midday to Munich
24- Munich all day
25- Munich all day
26- morning drive to Salzburg all day
27- all day Salzburg
28- all day Salzburg
29- morning drive to cesky krumlov spend night
30- morning drive to Prague- all day
1- all day Prague
2- all day Prague
3- morning drive to Hamburg return midday
4- all day Hamburg
5- depart early morning 7:40

1)Does this look do-able?
2)Are the locations in the best order ex: Baden Baden to Venice or should I consider some other route?
3) If too much, help me cut out some of these beautiful cities.

I appreciate all the help and advice.

Dachsund

Old Jun 4th, 2005, 09:16 AM

doable, but lots of driving. I would spend more time in Amsterdam,, Paris and Venice.

Check your distances and expected drive times. Can you REALLY drive from Baden Baden to Venice in one afternoon?

What is the focus of your trip? What are you trying to accomplish or experience?
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 09:23 AM

Venice does not fit--too far. The rest looks doable.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

thank you degas for responding! We are going for the first time. We really wanted to get a little taste of the different countries in Europe. Most of the people in our group like big cities and a lot of action going on. I am interested in seeing some art museums such as the mucha museum in Prague or the rembrandt in amsterdam. I want to drink espresso in a cafe and watch the life go by. We are not "clubbers". Shows are more appealing to my wife. By going to Paris, we will be separating from the other parties for a couple of days- a little getaway. What do you think?
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 09:28 AM
ira

Hi d,

You are doing a lot of travling, you are giving 3 nights/city, which is good.

I think that your plan is quite doable.

Have you looked up the train schedules for your trip at http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Have you checked driving times and mileage at www.mappy.com and www.viamichelin.com?

Have you checked the price for rail/drive passes at www.raileurope.com?

Are you two parties of two or 4 people total?

Do your retired TCs like the idea of sleeping in couchettes or will they want a private compartment?

Old Jun 4th, 2005, 09:30 AM

I agree with Bob about Venice not fitting. Save it for later.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bobthenavigator! I agree. My wife's mother really wants to go to Italy. I think it will be her only chance to go. Is there a way you think we could organize the other cities to include Venice?
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 09:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That's a lot of hours for 4 people to be sitting in a car together. Have you added up actual miles and driving time total for the entire trip?

I'm no expert but personally would cut whatever the 2-3 furthest distance cities are on the itinerary. 2 "full days" per city is not enough for me, and involves to much checking in and out of hotels (but I realize this is a very personal choice, maybe your group likes to travel fast and cover alot of ground, but since you mention it is your first trip I will share this idea anyway.)

Old Jun 4th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira for all those sites. We have a car so that will be the primary transportation. We are a party of 4 until my wife and I split for Paris for a couple of days. Then we meet up again. My wife and I have no problems sleeping on the train. What is the difference in cost between a private compartment and public?
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 10:06 AM

The diversion to Venice will cost you an extra 12 to 15 hours in the car--just not worth it. I would spend that time in the fabulous lakes of Austria with a stop in Hallstatt. And, you need more time outside cities for this trip to be most enjoyable. Stay on the Wolfgangsee, perhaps in St. Gilgen.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 10:17 AM

Well - our style of travel is a litle different. At the end of that trip my head would be whirling - and at least one of the other occupants of the car woudl be dead - and I would probably be in the women;s house of detention. Even traveling with only my beau we arrange to spend time apart - with four in a car I think it would be hell.

And I know you said you want a taste - but these are not appetizers - these are barely amuse buches. I would never spend less than 5 days (6 nights) in a major city like Paris, Amsterdam or Prague (unless we had been there before).

Overall, I think there's just too much driving - and not enough doing anything. (Also I hope you have 2/3 drivers - no one person could do all this.) (And for perspective we do european road trips all the time - more than 20 so far.)
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. 3 people in our group are dying to go to Venice. If you had to sacrafice Bruges, Amsterdam, Paris,Munich, Salzburg or Prague, which one would you save for another trip? I appreciate all advice.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 11:55 AM

Bruges, it might be a bit of a letdown after Venice. Maybe also drop amsterdam this time and combine with Bruges later. Gives you more time to spend at the other places. More sipping and less gulping!