Reload this Page >

NEAREST STATION TO BUCKINGHAM PALACE PLEASE

Old May 11th, 2016, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Fodorists..

I am having the walking tour on May 24 that ends 1200hours at Buckingham palace. I need to take a train to Egham for a polo match at the GuardsPolo Club...which would be the most convenient train station.. for the most direct train?

thank you
Old May 11th, 2016, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use this: https://tfl.gov.uk
Old May 11th, 2016, 10:17 PM

Direct trains for Egham go from Waterloo, you could travel from Victoria (nearest station) but have to change at Clapham Junction
Old May 11th, 2016, 10:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you walk - it is about a 25 minute walk from the Palace to Waterloo station or a 10-15 minute walk to Victoria Station.
Old May 11th, 2016, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

thank you kindly janisjm dotheboy and thursdays... my walking tour finishes at 12 so I will walk as suggested to Waterloo for a direct train to Egham!! but good to know is such a short walk also to Victoria!..

anyone reading again this..do you think it necessary to purchase tickets now for a trip on May 24?
can I pay cash at the station ?? or do I have to get the oyster card ? I plan to walk and avoid buses and trains..

thanks a lot for your help

cheers, Dolores
Old May 11th, 2016, 11:39 PM

Waterloo to Egham will be a service run by one of the National Rail companies,not TfL. For a local commuter service there will be no advantage to buying tickets in advance. You can pay at the station, but I'm not sure if the ticket machines (which would be the obvious thing) take cash or expect a chip-and-pin card. You might have to queue up to pay cash: hard to know how much extra time that will add, but there are plenty of services, and your ticket will be valid on all of them.

www.nationalrail.co.uk

Egham is outside the Oyster zone, so you can forget that for this journey. But whether you can really do all your other travelling within London without buses or tube (for which you would need an Oystercard) is another matter.
Old May 12th, 2016, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

thank you Patrick...! better then to take my printed ticket!

cheers
Old Jun 12th, 2016, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi thursdays, janisj, dotheboyshall, patricklondon (again)

I went walking from Buckingham to Waterloo station and bought the ticket there and took the train to Egham It probably tookm me 40 mins walking or less....thank you all for your recommendations..I only walked London..only took the hoponhopoff to do the tour around London and then I walked.! everything is near..I stayed at Bayswater road (kensington gardens) and took me only an hour to get to the Ritz on Piccadilly str for The Lon by night tour! so I spent from 7.30 pm until 9,30pm walking around Piccadilly circus, regent street. etc. thanks to you all..
I spent a splendid time!