Search

How to get from Greenwich to Victoria Station

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get from Greenwich to Victoria Station

Hi,

What is the best way to get from Greenwich to Victoria Station? The queries say to take a bus and two tube lines. Is that really the best way?

If it is a nice day I guess you can take the ferry to Westminster and then the tube from there but how long should that take? Instead, can you take the DLR back but to which station and then transfer to which tube line?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old Mar 11th, 2014, 07:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>The queries say to take a bus and two tube lines. Is that really the best way? <<

Maybe/maybe not. Depends exactly <i>where</i> in Greenwich? Makes a big difference. If from the DLR station it is only DLR to Lewisham and the train from there -- 33 mins - or - from the Train station it is train to Cannon Street and tube from there -- 30 mins.
Old Mar 11th, 2014, 10:39 PM

Greenwich railway station is on both the DLR and the mainline.

But it is a little way away from the historic centre of Greenwich, which is served by Cutty Sark DLR station.
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

We will be in the historic center visiting the usual sites so we should be close to the DLR. Thanks for the info.

The journey planner I went to said take the 188 bus to somewhere (I forgot where) then transfer to the jubilee line and transfer again to the district line which seemed too much. I thought there might be an easier way.

Thanks.
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you using this?

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use...T2?language=en
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 11:21 PM

>>The journey planner I went to said take the 188 bus to somewhere (I forgot where) then transfer to the jubilee line and transfer again to the district line which seemed too much. I thought there might be an easier way.<<

If it's the TfL journey planner it would prioritise TfL services, which is a bit odd, because south of the river (for all sorts of historical reasons) the suburban services of national rail companies dominate, and that's where most local residents would look to first.
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 12:35 AM

DLR to Bank, then the central/district line to Victoria. plug your actual date into the planner in case there are works going on.
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 01:11 AM

Not the central but the circle...I think that would take longer than the dlr to lewisham then the train to Victoria though
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 02:46 AM

While Patrick is probably correct that the TFL website prioritises TFL services, it is also true that journey planning websites usually place speed of journey before convenience, and offer a journey according to the precise departure time that you state.
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

I looked at both google maps public transport directions and the TFL website journey planner but I didn't check national rail journey planner for that one.

Is there frequent enough service Lewisham to Victoria? I think it is either once or twice an hour? Is that correct? So if we time it right, it would be faster than going back to Bank DLR and then taking the tube at Monument?

Thanks again for all your help.
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 03:54 AM

They are every 30 mins on the :08 and :38 - at least during the week...what day of the week are you going?
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 04:22 AM

I don't trust Google maps planner for public transport. It doesn't have details of all journeys.

The TFL one should include national rail if it is faster - you can certainly play around with the settings a bit.
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 05:56 AM

Tfl will include the trains, but because they only run twice an hour they wouldn't show up unless you set the time to be close to the time the trains run...most people just leave it 'leave now' so won't get the train options I am guessing
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 07:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I used the tfl journey planner and it included all options - rail, tube, DLR, buses even walking and river boats . . . It depends on which boxes you check.
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 03:19 PM

yes Jamikins, of course it is CIRCLE/district line. Personally, I don't like waiting for the train from Lewisham to Victoria - did it for two years (from Blackheath) when I worked at Victoria, and I inevitably missed the train .

Alternative is Greenwich train station (10 mins walk from centre of Greenwich) to Cannon Street on the train, and then the Circle/District line to Victoria.

If you have time to spare, and not much luggage, my favourite routing is to take the Thames Clipper from Greenwich Pier to Embankment, cross the road to Embankment Underground, and then the Circle/District to Victoria. The Clipper is my favourite way to enter London, particularly in Summer, when I hate using the underground! On sunny days in Summer, I love to walk from Blackheath to Greenwich, through the Park and Greenwich Village, and onto the Clipper for wonderful views as you enter London. Its also SO comfortable.

TFL website is definitely the best way of planning your journeys through London. Look for the edit function to chose which mode of transportation you prefer. Its a great site, and worth studying.

Also, do pick up the bus maps from major TRAIN stations (London Bridge, Victoria)so you can understand the bus routes, which can be a fun way of exploring London, as long as you are not in a hurry. However, getting into London by bus from South-East London is not a great idea, as the journey is far from scenic, and takes forever (trust me, I have done it often).

When using the site, plug in your date and time details, as it can make a difference. In rush-hour, add 30 mins to the stated travel times, and if taking the Trains, always take the one before the one you think will get you there on time!
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. We will be going on a weekday and without luggage. Taking the clipper if it is a nice day sounds like a good option too.

The last time we were in London about 4 years ago we did take many of the buses. We had MIL in tow and it was easier for her to get on and off the bus than walking up and down the stairs of the tube stations. The lifts don't always work and we didn't want to take the chance so we took the slower, more scenic route instead via buses.

Can't wait to report back.
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 11:39 PM

If it makes any difference (for the mobility- or luggage-impaired), the interchange between Bank DLR and the tube includes some very long escalators, some stairs up and down, and (for Monument station on the District/Circle) a relatively long walk underground.
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Patrick.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 01:10 AM

Damn right Patrick. I had to transit through there twice this week. Its a nightmare - about three/four sets of stairs! How on earth would a disabled person cope?