Search

Near Bath base?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Near Bath base?

We are trying to go to a popular place (Bath) at a popular time (end of August bank holiday weekend). I'm running into many 3-night minimums (we'd prefer 2) and high prices (£150-200/nt). Ideally we could find something closer to £100-120 for a family room (2 kids).

We'll allocate our full day (Sunday) to Bath and will likely see some other sites on the travel days (Saturday, can get there by 10 a.m.) and Monday (only until lunch). Those may include Stonehenge/Avebury on the shorter day and Glastonbury/Wells/Cheddar Gorge on the longer day.

Bath makes the most since, but does anyone have any other recommendations for near by areas (we will have a car)? Bradford-on-Avon comes up in some searches. Any others? Any specific recommendations?

Thanks.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 12:48 PM

I'm assuming you've checked the local Travelodges

We always had good success getting ajoining rooms with them.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 12:52 PM

Yes, Travelodge site will allow you to put in your dates and if the two in central Bath are unavailable it will list all nearby ones with the price (they allow 2 kids under 16 in same room for free).
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 12:57 PM

Try Cornerway's B&B. We were well satisfied there. Following is an excerpt from my TR.

We had quite a bit of trouble finding this B&B since its address was not on our Garmin GPS. I understand that Tom Tom users have the same problem. The road is also called Upper Brewster Road which is also the A4 so it should have easy to find. When we finally arrived, our hostess Sue Black greeted us with a very welcome pot of tea.

Rick Steves, you've done her wrong. Rick Steve's guidebook described the rooms at Cornerways as "well worn" and frankly it was not the kind of write-up that would draw one to the place. I am glad that I did not read that write-up before booking our room because our experience was exactly the opposite. Our room was large, spotless and bright - attractive in a simple way, and the rate was an absolute bargain for what we received. There was nothing worn about it. Sue is a gracious hostess and gave us some fine restaurant and touring tips. Cornerways is very conveniently located midway between the Cathedral and the Royal Crescent. About a 5-10 minute walk either way. It was an excellent location - we walked everywhere from there. The only drawback is that the road is a busy one, so if you like to sleep late, request a rear room - for us that was not an issue since we are early risers. Sue's prices are rock bottom for Bath but she is a wonderful hostess. For example, we asked where there was a place to do laundry and she said just leave it with her and she would take care of it. It was back the next morning, nicely folded. The cost? All she asked for was a contribution of 5 pounds to one of the 2 animal charity boxes she keeps in dining area. Breakfast at Cornerways was extraordinary. Sue served the usual Full English and there was an excellent assortment of cereals and such. What made the breakfast different was the quality of the ingredients. All was organic and the eggs came from a nearby farm and were from a type of chicken that lays blue eggs. When poached (and they were perfectly done) the yolks were a bright yellow orange. Blue eggs and ham became more that a Dr. Seuss story. Well make that blue eggs and bacon, but why quibble about some pig meat. The mushrooms were also of a variety that was new to us. Almost black in color with a rich earthy taste. The marmalades were of the Duchy brand - that is the company that Prince Charles sponsors. There were also other quality marmalades as well such as Dundee. Also available were some gluten free cereals and since DW mentioned that she preferred gluten free, she was served toast, sans gluten. Gluten free biscuits were also put in our room when Sue learned of DW’s preference – a very thoughtful touch. There is room to park three cars behind the house, but the cars have to be inline, so some planning with other guests is in order when you need to leave unless you are the last in line. Cornerways has free wi-fi
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 01:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are Premier Inns in Chippenham and in Frome which are not far and good bases for the places you want to visit.

Premier Inns are usually a little more expensive than Travelodges but they do run specials. Not sure about Bank holidays though
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention that we could use points at stay at the H.I. Express as a fall back, though not the best use/value. Haven't looked much at the chain hotels, though maybe I should. I was hoping for the more personal B&B experience. Expectations and budget may not be aligned.

I'll have a look around Chippenham -- thanks for the suggestion.

No family room for Cornerways, so that puts it at £160 for 2 rooms.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 03:09 PM

In 2006 we stayed as a family in Bodkin House Hotel as our base for Bath and Stonehenge area (http://www.bodkin-house-hotel.co.uk/ ). Not sure if you plan to have a car, which would be essential.