Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can a family of 3 stay at B&Bs for less than $100/night? Recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Jeff

My wife, 10 year old daughter, and I will be driving around England for 9 days and are on a limited budget. We will be staying in Yorkshire, Cotswolds, Winchester, Bath, and Exeter. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. We really would like a private bath.

Old May 12th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Suzy

We had a lovely room in Bath at the Sydney Gardens Hotel, which is actually a B&B about a ten-minute walk from the city center. All the rooms have a private bath, and our room had 3 beds, so I know there's at least one that can accommodate you! <BR><BR>IIRC, we paid &pound;69 per night (about $100) in early August 2001, and the breakfast was an enormous classic full English breakfast, with a supplementary buffet with fruit, yogurt, cereals, etc.

Old May 12th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Leslie

Jeff - yes, I believe you can. B&B's in the UK are generally priced per person, rather than per room, but do specify your child's age as they typically give a discount for the child, about 2/3 of the adult price. <BR><BR>Also, when comparing prices with what you are accustomed to in the US, the price quoted in the UK (confirm this at the time) will be inclusive of VAT and full English breakfast. In other words, $100 (about 70 pounds) for a room in England would run you more like $130 in the US. <BR><BR>You won't typically find the classic American room configuration of two double beds either. You'll have to ask for a "triple" which will typically be a double plus a twin bed or three twins.<BR><BR>Private bath ("en suite") now seems to predominate as the B & B industry long ago began catering to the American desire for private bath. You should have no trouble finding this. <BR><BR>I was in the UK in February and found we could stay in pleasant 3 star places for about 70 pounds per night for two, so you might have to aim for 2 stars to stay in your budget.<BR><BR>Here is an excellent website for planning and reserving B & B's throughout the UK. I've had great success with it as have others on this board. Never mind the funny name: http://www.smoothound.co.uk.<BR><BR>Also, if you do happen to go to London, this website is great for hotel discounts: http://www.hotel-assist.com.<BR><BR>We took our kids to these areas too. Your daughter will love York - be sure to go to the York Castle Museum. Also, note in Bath, they have evening hours at the Baths..we got a free private tour and our kids were fascinated. If time permits, your daughter will really enjoy Warwick Castle (just north of the Cotswolds). <BR>

Old May 12th, 2002, 12:58 PM
KenCT

Small correction on the previous post. Smoothhound has two "h's."<BR>http://www.smoothhound.co.uk.

Old May 12th, 2002, 07:38 PM
janis

Jeff: You won't have any trouble. really great 2 star B&Bs can be found all over for between &pound;18 and &pound;25 per peson per night - even less sometimes in family rooms. <BR><BR>The cost per person goes down the more beds in the room. In a a nice B&B a single might be &pound;30-35, a double twin &pound;20-25, a triple/family &pound;17-20.<BR><BR>The highest prices wil be in the "posher" towns - especially in/near Bath. But an inexpensive B&B in Yorkshire allows you enough savings to be able to splurge in Bath.

Old May 12th, 2002, 11:59 PM
mike

As well as smoothhound, look at www.theaa.com.

Old May 17th, 2002, 05:14 PM
Joe

Try the Brinsley Sheridan House in Bath and the Ashclyst Farm Telephone: 01392 461302 in Exeter, this location is a working farm.