Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Japanese Ryokan - Is it that incredible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying at the Westin Miyako Hotel in Kyoto. One of the guide books said that staying is a traditional Ryokan (Tawaraya or HIIRAGIYA RYOKAN) is an incredible experience and is worth the very high price, even if it is just for a day or two.

My question is (1) is it worth the high cost - to be sleeping on a futon instead of a bed and the trouble of packing and unpacking.

I'm afraid that if I don't do it, I'll be missing a great experience that I won't ever have again. I'm also concerned that if the sleeping accomodations are not what we are used to, my husband might not smile at me for the rest of the trip.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 08:14 PM

IF you know what to expect from a true high class ryokan, then it is defitely worth the money. An exclusive ryokan is an experience in and of itself. You check in the afternoon, and won't leave the place until you check out the next day. It is not a place to use as a base for sightseeing...it is a destination in and of itself.

The dinner will be exquisite. It will be very fine dining, beautifully prepared traditional or modern Japanese dishes (depends on the ryokan). The meal is usually served to you by your own attendant in your room, though if they are not full, they will serve your dinner to you in a vacant room so they can prepare you room for sleeping at the same time. It will take at least a couple of hours to eat, as it is served course by course, and usually about 10 courses are included, sometimes more. The dinner is included in the price, drinks are not.

Your futon will be made up for you while you eat in another room, or after you eat if you eat in your room. Good ryokans have wonderful futon. They are very, very comfortable. Better than any "heavenly bed." Poor quality futon, on the other hand, are downright horrible. Rest assured, though, if you choose a very good ryokan, the futon will be very good. Many ryokan also have a couple of western style rooms with beds as well, if the futon experience isn't for you.

Between check in and dinner, and between dinner and sleep, guests take a bath in the lovely bath facilities. The best places offer many types of baths, including outdoor ones. There will be yukata for you to wear, and your attendant will be happy to help you put it on properly. The baths are meant to relax and refresh. Take your time, go both before and after dinner.

When you get up in the morning, you will have time for another bath. Breakfast is usually served in a breakfast room, and you eat with the other guests. After check out, as you leave, there will likely be some souvenir shop type place right in your ryokan for you to purchase the body wash they use in the bath, incense, or other things exclusive to them or the area.

The two ryokan you mention in Kyoto are popular with non-Japanese tourists. There are literally thousands of ryokan and onsen hotels all over Japan. For a good one, expect to pay upwards of 15,000 yen per person per night...actually, 15,000 yen per person per night would be a bargain if the place was special.

For a ryokan stay, you do not need much. Basically, a change of clothes for the next day. While in the ryokan, you will wear the yukata that is provided. Sleeping yukata are provided as well. Soap, shampoo, conditioner, toothbrushes and toothpaste, hair brush and dryer, razor...everything is provided for you. You could leave your bags at your hotel for a one night ryokan stay if you like.

I would certainly recommend a ryokan stay if it is in your budget, is something you are interested in, and have the time for it.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 08:20 PM

We spent 2 nights at the Hiiragiya and thought that it was well worth the high price(around $550 per person per night a few years ago).

We stay there in late December and once we had arrived we got a great warm welcome by the owner and staff. We were shown to our suite, number 33 or 35 can't remember, which was a rather empty room on the ground floor. A lady in her 40s was assigned to look after us and I believe that she's a Geisha. She help us unpack, small carry on bags since we had forwarded our main suitcases to our final destination, and then she proceeded to help my wife and daughter with putting on a traditional Japanese Kimono. Apart from a proper bathroom we had a private Japanese bath in our room as well which in the winter time was a very welcome amenity. Outside the room there are larger baths big enough for 4 people, but you have to reserve them in advance.

It was fascinating seeing the room transfer from a sitting room into a dining room and then into a bedroom. Each "phases" of the room was superb and very comfortable. The meals, breakfast and dinner, was a grand affair with multi course kaiseki dinner and for breakfast you have a choice of western or Japanese. The food was delicious and the service was superb. Once the room had been transfer into the bedroom the beds was extremely comfortable and the futon were very comforting. Small electric lights were place by the beds to act as a night light or reading light.

When we were there we were the only tourist there and the rest of the guests were Japanese, according to the owner.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 08:45 PM

I didn't mean to imply that Hiragaya or Tawaraya see only non-Japanese guests. I meant it to mean that they are places that are known by the international community and they are willing to accept non-Japanese guests. Some ryokan will not accept foreigners at all. Some will accept foreigners only if they speak Japanese. Others accept foreigners accompanied by a Japanese person or a Japanese speaker. Others accept anyone. Hiragaya and Tawaraya do not exclude foreigners at all.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:26 PM

Staying at a real ryokan is definitely not just "sleeping on a futon instead of a bed". Kim has described it very well.

The whole experience of being totally served and the food are the big draws for us, and yes, it it totally worth it!

It is certainly a one of a kind experience that you will not find in other countries, but if you are not a fan of japanese food, it will not be worth it.

Another traditional and very old ryokan that is quite old and right around the corner from the two you have mentioned is Sumiya. Just as nice as them, but not as well known outside Japan. We had a Japanese speaking friend make our booking, but once there, our room maid spoke some English. We had one of their newer rooms..no private garden, but a nice cedar bath in the room and it had central Air/heat, so it was great. The rooms are very large with TV and small sitting room with a table and chairs in case you want to sit up to read or write. they serve both your meals in the room.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:51 AM

The dinner at a ryokan is a huge part of the cost, upwards of 60%. I doubt if those ryokans would offer the option, but Momiji-so on Miyajima has lodging-only for 7,000 yen pp. For lodging and deluxe dinner and with breakfast the charge is 16,000.

The following webpage has some info that might help you to decide:
http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 01:25 PM

The dinner is a huge part of the ryokan experience. For someone looking to have the "ryokan experience," I wouldn't opt out of the dinner, even if you could, unless you were staying two nights..then I'd have dinner in one night and out another night.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:02 PM

I agree 100% and believe, as lucy says, that "if you are not a fan of japanese food, it will not be worth it".
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:19 AM

as for staying at ryokans more than one night, I can at least say that the one we stayed in last year (Yachiyo) offered a choice of 3 dinners: the kaiseki ryori (done in your room), shabu shabu, or sukiyaki (the latter two done in the breakfast area). We all (wife, MiL, and myself) had kaiseki ryori the first night and MiL & me had shabu shabu the next night while pesco-vegetarian wife had another kaiseki meal. FWIW she proclaimed night 2 to be even more superior to the 1st night (which in itself was outstanding), with very little repetition. Just thought I'd mention, as I didn't know if 2 nights in a ryokan having dinner would be redundant & as such I was pleasantly surprised...

ah, I'll be arriving at Narita one month from today!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 03:37 PM

Can you please explain with more detail about the meals served at the Royokan. I am not familiar with Japanese food and truly do not know if I should choose the one night option that is offered in my tour.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 03:53 PM

The meals served at fine ryokan are local and house specialties and they change by season. Without knowing which ryokan you are thinking about and when, it's hard to tell you what the meal would include.

http://japanesefood.about.com/od/hol...isekiryori.htm
might be helpful as an introduction.

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 04:30 PM

The same can be said of 'less than fine' of course!

On Miyajima, one plate might have a small piece of Hiroshima beef. Another plate might have a small fish from the Inland Sea.

In Takayama, you would probably see a small plate of Hida beef, a plate with mountain veggies.

A small plate with some pickled veggies. A small plate with a few morsels that you might not recognize as animal or vegetable. Miso soup. A bowl of rice.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 04:35 PM

Of less than fine ryokan, I meant. That fish would be the whole thing, gutted and grilled. At another place, or another dish, you might have a hunk of fish, separated from bone and skin. You can also expect a small plate of sashimi. In Shimonoseki it would be fugu, and they may also serve some grilled fugu cheek, which is actually better than the sashimi.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 04:45 PM

I am sorry for not mentioning the name. In Kyoto it is Yoshi-ima which is located in the Gion section and listed as a traditional ryokan. The brochure states that they serve typical Kyo-dishes???? I have never tried raw fish or shrimp and I am not overly fond of veggies...so I am very leary of the meal plan. Althought the atmosphere and style intrigues me. Any suggestions?? Also it would cost an additional $480. for 1 night.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 04:54 PM

An addition $480.00 for one person for one night? That is way more than what they charge directly. http://www.yoshi-ima.co.jp/en/reservation/index.html

They can make your meal special if you don't want it to include certain items. Their website seems very friendly...why don't you e-mail them and ask them about the meal they serve. That would get you the absolutely most accurate answer.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 04:55 PM

OK...I see from your other posts that you are a single traveller on a tour. $480.00 is a HUGE markup on the part of the tour company. I would say don't do it through them, but if you have time after or before the tour begins for extra days in Japan you could stay on your own for much less at the same place.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 05:37 PM

That price is ridiculous. If your tour includes lodging for that night with an option (for $480) to stay at Yoshiima as a single then you would be better off just booking the included lodging. You could then add on the single use room in peak season for $306.50 (that's 35000 yen at today's exchange rate).

Would be better, of course, to add on an extra day without lodging to your tour and then book your lodging separately.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 05:41 PM

I didn't say that correctly. I meant you could take whatever lodging option the tour comes with and then book Yoshiima directly. Leave the tour's hotel room go empty, stay at Yoshiima, and you'd save $170.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 04:53 AM

Now where else could one get assistance like this??? This travel board is excellent!
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 02:43 PM

Staying at a Japanese style inn is a lifetime experience. Book at an inn with a natural hot spring (outdoor and indoor). Tawaraya and HIIRAGIYA seem to be popular choices to foreigners but I think they are overpriced. I am sure that there are more affordable options. I stayed at one inn in Hakone area for about $100 per person (I think it's called something like Fujiya hotel) in a "western-japanese" style room--which has everything japanese plus western style beds. The service was phenomenal and the dinner was a piece of art. Most people (except seniors) do speak some English and are happy to help. Do bring a simple Japanese dictionary and speak in simple English slowly.

I took a quick look at http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/db/kyoto and suggest that you don't need to book at a place with a A++ or A+ rating. Also, bear in mind that Kyoto is NOT a hotspring destination and you may find a nicer inn with great hotsprings outside Kyoto with a lower price tag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -