Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Naxos, St. George Beach, how crowded, and in general where to stay?

Old Aug 24th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All:

Thanks to those who provided input regarding my initial questions about our May-June, 2011 Greek holiday itinerary, and whether to visit Naxos or Paros along with Santorini and Athens. After some additional research and deliberation we have decided to divide our island time between Santorini (4 nights, though we will arrive quite late the first night) and Naxos (6 nights, and we hope to get an a.m. ferry from Santorini to Naxos if one exists). Paros and Antiparos sound lovely, but since we are first time visitors, we feel that Naxos would allow more variety with only one additional island stop. We hope to take 1 or 2 day trips from Naxos to Paros, Antiparos, or Mykonos if it's feasible (which does make me wonder if we should extend Naxos to 7 nights/reduce Santorini to 3!).

In any case, we are now looking at accommodations. Although we were initially considering Imerovigli in Santorini, we decided to stay at Oia, in Villa Paride at Ifestio Villas. The views look breathtaking, and since we'll be there early in the season (late May), we hope that Oia won't be too crowded with tours, etc.

In Naxos, we had discussed staying at Stelida, but the input suggesting that we would be tied to a vehicle was disconcerting. We try to avoid driving as much as we can here in San Diego, and we very much enjoy walking to the beach, shops, and restaurants while on vacation as well. We do however plan to rent a vehicle for at least some of our Naxos trip, since we want to hike and explore the different areas and cultural sites.

I have been researching the various places to stay, and it seems to me that "luxury" accommodations in Naxos Town may not be worth the extra cost, for the most part, based on reviews and pictures. We are willing to pay a high tariff for the right place - a spectacular setting, wonderful service, and excellent accommodations - but do not want to stay in a larger resort-type facility if it is likely to be less personal (or more generic) but not necessarily "stunning." In Naxos, It seems that many hotels are family run and that these would allow greater exposure to the people and culture, while still being quite clean and comfortable. On St. George beach, the Hotel Grotta looks charming, with pretty views, and considerable convenience to taverns, shops, the beach, etc., and it has many good reviews. I also like the fact that it is not right on the beach, and therefore may be quieter.

However, I was wondering if anyone can tell me roughly how crowded Naxos town and St. George beach will be during our stay (May 28th-June 3rd, 2011)? My husband and I are both 40 with no children, and although we enjoy dinners out, cafes, some nightlife, exploring cities and old towns, and don't mind busy streets, we also value peace and quiet (and at times solitude) when on vacation. I know that we won't have solitude per se, but I am trying to get a better impression of what the environment will be like near St. George beach this time of year (e.g., crowded with families and many children or not so crowded and more diverse). If it is likely to be crowded then perhaps we should consider dividing our time, e.g., 4 nights at Grotta (or 3) and 2 nights (or 3) elsewhere on the island, where we could perhaps experience a bit of luxury and more solitude? If we do choose this route, are there any particular recommendations? I mentioned Kavos Naxos, which does look nice, but also saw the Iria Art Beach Hotel, and Finikas Hotel, if anyone has input on these accommodations or areas. At the same time, the St. George area seems very convenient, especially if we will take day trips via ferry, and with a car we would have a lot of flexibility to explore other areas without moving - and the Hotel Grotta seems very nice.

If anyone has opinions about these various possibilities, I would be very grateful for your comments and suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Vanessa
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 11:01 AM

"On St. George beach, the Hotel Grotta looks charming"

I can't find my map of Naxos town, but when I was researching hotels, I thought the Grotta was on the other side of town from St. George Beach.

I stayed on St. George Beach in late May 2008 and it was not crowded at all. There were some people, but not many. The town wasn't crowded at all either and we found it easy to eat anywhere without any wait. I liked staying in that area, and it was a very short walk to the town -- 5 min., no exaggeration, just across a parking lot from the edge of St. George beach, but it would be longer from the far end of the beach.

From what I could see, Naxos and "luxury" don't really go together. It seemed to be more families on budgets, mainly Europeans from the people we met, and we encountered very few Americans (a nice change from Mykonos and Santorini).
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 11:05 AM

PS: I just went to the Hotel Grotta website and it is not on St. George beach, it is on the other side of town.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 11:27 AM

I am sure that others will chime in at this point ... but I may as well start. I have stayed both at Grotta, and at St. George in May through June 6 or so ... and can say that St. George is NOT noisy, nor crowded at that time.... just a nice sprinkling of Scandinavian toddlers to watch while sunbathing; you would not experience them in your hotel unless you book in one of the family-type units with kitchenettes and patios right on the sand.

Around town and all over Naxos at that time, very diverse -- no tour groups, independent travel mainly ... except of course for the small groups of very swanky international people who come ashore at night from saiing yachts And at night, it's reallly quiet at the beach, no clubs or bars.

LOCATIONS -- This map shows many hotel locations in Naxos Town and the adjacent St. G Beach : http://www.naxos-greece.net/site/gfx...hotels_map.jpg it's very handy even if a specific hotel isn't on there, because it can be located by reference to one that is.

GROTTA -- Yes it has a lovely view of sunset from its seaward rooms (which it charges more for), and its terrace and it has a lovely buffet breakfast. But it's in a boring neighborhood, you MUST go down to town for even a snack, and after dinner quite a hike uphill in the dark on a bumpy path, and IMHO, not a "luxury" experience. It IS possible to get a bus to beaches at the road just inland from hotel, rather than walking down to Pier area bus place.

St. GEORGE -- I like the ability to walk, via the level waterside path, to the Naxos town promenade cafes, shops etc, in 10 - 15 minutes... and to walk back in late evening in the moonlight, after a glass of wine or 3, without needing to use car or bus or taxi. As for a St. George choice that would provide some "luxury" plus a bit more 'solitude' ... have you looked at The Galaxy Hotel (#3) or the Naxos Resort BEach hotel (formerly called Naxos Royal Beach Hotel) .. on that map tho it's not listed it's nearer to the sand than hotel Spiro

Here's a TA link from someone much like you querying which hotel they'd like ... it has reactions that can help you http://tinyurl.com/22u4fuj and here is a SKY Map that will also give a helpful birds-eye view of the town/beach area ... http://www.skymap.gr/?ElementId=59724&Category=0

If you choose St. George it's easy to rent a car for the times when you want to go exploring, but otherwise you're not dependent on one.

PS: JUst for fun, here's the NAxos webcam site:http://www.naxosisland.eu/index.html fun to look at it, bout 1 pm Eastern time, and sea the sunset, or at midnight, and see the sunrise on Naxos... it's addictive...
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 11:37 AM

Naxos won't be crowded with families, as most children will still be in school. Hotel Grotta, indeed, is on the other side of town from St George Beach, but handier for the buses that go to the much nicer beaches south of Naxos Town (Agios Prokopios, Agia Anna, Plaka, etc).

Privileged as you are to live in Southern California, I hope you won't be disappointed with the beaches on Naxos. I like staying in the St George area for it's proximity to the port and kastro area of Naxos Town, but for beaches prefer to take the bus to Ag Prokopios or Plaka.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip Cheryl, I also looked at the map now, and I see what you mean about the location- we wouldn't mind a longer walk (in fact would enjoy this).

Then I guess the question should be more about the general area around the Hotel Grotta, St. George Beach and Naxos town. From your description, and your experience in 2008, it sounds like the overall area is convenient (short walk to town and beach) but at least in May, should not be too crowded (no waits to eat, etc.).

I am developing that impression about Naxos as well. But we don't need luxury to be happy, and in fact, some of our favorite stays have been in smaller, family-run, "pensions", and B&Bs, etc.. I think the reason that Americans often look for larger resort-type properties is that in the US, less expensive (or fewer stars) can often translate into shabby, and not so clean. This is quite different from what I have experienced in Europe. Although such accommodations might lack the amenities of 4 and 5-star resorts, I have generally found them to be comfortable, spotless, and to have considerable character, while affording an opportunity to get to know other travelers or locals.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Traveljan, this is very helpful. I did in fact like the Galaxy - I am going to take a closer look and ask my husband to do the same. I will also look again at Naxos Resort. It seems that the reviews for this hotel are mixed, but that could mean anything. I do enjoy a glass of wine or three every now and then.

Heimdall, not only do I live in Southern CA, but I also have a (rustic) vacation home on the Sea of Cortez in the Baja region of Mexico, where the beaches are truly breathtaking - so in this regard, I am very fortunate indeed. I am certain I will enjoy Naxos and its beaches tremendously nonetheless, since I will be on vacation, in a place I have longed to visit for years, and where I can relish and observe the many unique facets of the culture, dining, environment, and people, which is what travel is all about! Plus I won't have to make my own dinner or sweep sand off my floors .
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 02:14 PM

FYI -- here is a link to my own thread from 3 years ago when I was trying to decide on a hotel in Naxos. There are several comments on Hotel Grotta, which I strongly considered:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-and-royal.cfm

We went with Galini, and while I definitely recommend the location on St. George Beach, that's probably too low-budget for you. It's very basic, and we didn't really get the "seaview" we were expecting. I'd spend a little more for a nicer place with a direct view. I don't even care about the beach at all and have no interest in swimming, but I liked the beachside taverns, and the short walk to town.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 03:46 PM

Vanessa ... I like walking along St. George beach in the morning, so refreshing, and after dinner... and for the quick dip after sightseeing when you just want to refresh. For a dedicated beach day, I go to Plaka beach via bus, just about the last stop, in front of Arontis taverna & apts ... a lovely vine-shaded terrace and great place for lunch or snacks; they have a major farm inland, and serve their own organic products, (veg, salads, yogurt, chicken lamb etc) ... In fact, if I came to Naxos in late July or Aug. this is where I'd stay, away from crowds (but in June, nothing going on after sunset) ... anyway, that's the way to have cake/eat it too ... stay in St. George, go out to Plaka.

About the 2 other beaches in that line ... Prokopios is long, and wde, plenty of umbrellas, gets deep quite fast, so is still quite chilly in May, good swimming tho. Ag. Anna, a narrow beach, was OK when I first went 10 years ago ... but has since been way over-developed; tavernas side-by-side, music blares, chairs cover every inch of sand, (plus porky men wearing Speedos who shouldn't). and this was in May! Further out, if you drive, Mikra Vigli is fairly undeveloped, still some "naturists" enjoying sun all over, dscreetly behind rocks.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 03:59 PM

Vanessa, you are so right about the small family-run places. They usually have a older lady in a black dress who comes around and hoses down the bath, and scrubs the hall till it glistens ... Uncle Petros takes a shift at the front desk, and Nephew Yanni drives the van waiting for you at the port. The plain simple rooms have little decor... white walls and instead of colorful pictures, your "art" is outside the window. The little Naxos place I stay in has about 8 rooms, a tiny reception area (unmanned), and I contact my hotel-owner on her mobile phone ... but from my tree-shaded balcony i look down a narrow lane 75 feet and see the sand, the beds are comfy, the bathroom sparkles ... and the steps and floors are marble. Marble is the plywood of Naxos. ENjoy your stay!
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Cheryl, thank for the link to your thread and for the additional information. I did consider Galini but I think perhaps, as you have suggested, it might be too basic for us. I am still leaning toward Grotta, but I need to review the options with my husband, and consider whether we would rather be closer to the beach.

Traveljan, your description of the beaches makes me want to fast forward time until our trip! You raise an excellent point about the areas outside of St. George beach being quiet after sunset during the time when we'll be visiting. That didn't occur to me - I think we will stay in the St. George beach/Naxos town area the entire time. I love the description of Ag. Anna, hilarious! Comparably, near San Diego (in La Jolla), we have Black's Beach, which is unofficially clothing optional and seems to attract many older--and not necessarily fit--men, as well. I must admit I admire their tenacity and confidence, but it can be a startling experience when the volleyball games start up!

But I have to ask, which is your hotel of choice (if you don't mind sharing, of course)?

Thanks again to everyone for the warm and helpful advice. If the people on this forum are indicative of the reception we'll receive in Greece, I know we will have a wonderful Anniversary trip!
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 01:03 AM

Your mix of Santorini and Naxos is similar to what we did this May and made a great holiday with time for exploration and relaxation. I can't really help on accommodation, as we stayed in more basic (but still lovely) accommodation in Agios Prokopios. This was fine for us but we did hire a car, which is well worth doing as there is lots to explore. The beaches on the island are lovely and I can't imagine they will be busy late May - we were there mid-May and the season had barely started with some businesses only just starting to open up. The period you are going is a UK school holiday - but I don't think that many UK families vist Naxos, due to the lack of direct charter flights. I liked Aghia Anna and didn't find it over-developed but then I didn't see it before the development or in high season. If you want to check out my report and link to some pictures, click on my name.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 01:34 AM

Not many British families visit during the half term school holidays anymore. Some of my friends used to take their children out of school for an extra week along with half term, giving them a two week holiday in that ideal time of year. Now school authorities have cracked down on unauthorised absenteeism, making it pretty much a no-no. Direct charter flights for a one-week holiday are still popular, but as Maria_H mentioned, doesn't apply to Naxos.

People seem to be taking their holidays on Naxos and Paros a little later in the year nowadays. Even mid-June was fairly quiet this year.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 06:56 AM

Vanessa, I'm glad my descriptions make you want to go sooner ... when I get to typing, I start visualizing (sigh). Actually, no point in giving you my wee place, because I'm not sure it would be for you -- you specifically had said a "bit of luxury" and liked the look of Galaxy ... and I would not want someone to be let-down by my dear little place.

Also, as a newcomer, it might be helpful to have a manned front-desk for inquiries or arrangements, and you probably want a breakfast option also (mine has a mini-kitchenette niche). You also have not stated about what priority you place on (1) pool (2) balcony with beach view (3) stuff like jacuzzis. The 3 mentioned have all 3 + breakfasts. "Pool hotels" in Naxos are back a ways from the beach, for historical reasons -- before Naxos was an upgrade destination, most beachfront was developed with modest smaller family-run hotels; when the island attracted more upscale business, the beachfront was already occupied.

Non-pool family-run beachfront hotels, usually serving breakfast, include GLAROS (especially top-floor premium rooms, with terrace view shown on website) and ASTERIA. Check websites, google "TA reviews" ... in fact, here's a Trip Report about staying in Asteria, and their Naxos experience in general -- http://tinyurl.com/24jd5ed -- it mentions tots and teenagers but please note, this was a JULY visit ... very few teens at your visit=time.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 05:33 PM

I think that St George is ideal for your visit. If you are interested in Galaxy I took these pictures of the property in June this year. It is a good class hotel but just back from the beach thus less expensive. It was 100 euros in early June on a walk up basis.
http://travel.webshots.com/album/577938219xWoGvP
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi All:

Thanks so much for the additional comments and suggestions regarding our trip! I am turning back to planning after a few weeks immersed in work responsibilities.

Maria, I enjoyed your trip report, and the fact that your itinerary was similar makes me feel more secure about ours. It seems like the everything worked out very well for you. Your pictures are amazing!

We remain undecided about where to stay on Naxos, but most likely we'll stay at St. George beach for most of it. We are still leaning toward Hotel Grotta based on reviews, despite the less than ideal location. So many of the other hotels - including Galaxy -have very mixed reviews - though it's always difficult to know what to make of this.

As a treat, we will probably stay a couple of nights in a more upscale hotel in a different area (while we have a car), such as Iria Beach Art Hotel or Kalimera in Agia Anna. If anyone has thoughts about these, or similar places on the island, please let me know.

Along these lines, Traveljan, you asked excellent questions about our preferences. I think we would value a sea view and balcony over most other amenities. Also, we are really hoping to have a true double or queen bed (not two singles pushed together) - as, well, it's our anniversary. And, I'm a bit particular about bathroom facilities - i.e., the idea of a shower that floods the bathroom, rather than being nice and neat and separate from everything else, makes me a bit squeamish. (I know it's silly to focus on such minor issues in the scheme of things, but...) A pool, or jacuzzi, would be nice but not at all necessary.

If anyone has further thoughts based on these considerations, please let me know!

As an aside, I had an interesting comment from a colleague originally from Greece (and who spends 6 weeks there every summer). She indicated that I MUST go to Mykonos since it is so beautiful, and quintessentially Greek. I almost made a change to our itinerary as a result, but after reviewing internet and guidebook descriptions, and reading Maria's trip report (Disneyland, no thank you!), I am certain that Mykonos is NOT for us! I wonder how long it's been since she's actually visited Mykonos.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 01:17 PM

We were in Naxos at the end of May this year. We stayed in Hotel Anixis up in the town and had a view out to Mykonos and Delos over the rooftops of the town. It had lovely flowers in the garden and was run by a family- Dad who was 84 did the breakfasts!
The town was alive but not crowded, the restaurant staff complained that numbers were down- this was at the time of the strikes.We never failed to get in to a restaurant.
Unfortunately at the end of our second day we received news from home which meant we had to leave the next morning and return to Britain. We never got as far as the beach! BUT we'll be going back next year- same time and we'll book in the Anixis again!