naxos accomodation

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
naxos accomodation

We are spening 5 days in Naxos this coming May/June. I have researched carefully as I was unsure whether to stay in town or on one of the beaches outside of town. But because this is the laid back portion of our trip we want to be close to a nice beach, plus have a pool and kitchenette. I have decided to go south of town and I am thinking about two places on Agios Prokopios, either the Agios Prokopios Hotel or Birakos. I think going farther south might be a bit too far from town for really easy access, however if anyone recommends staying on Agia Anna or Plaka Beach I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Can anyone comment on either of these hotels or what the difference between might be? From what I have read they both sound great (basic, clean accomodation), both have pools and are roughly the same distance from the beach itself, also both seem to have good reviews. Plus they are in the same price range (Prokopios might be a tiny bit more expensive).

I'd be interested in any feedback on these or other places people have experienced.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 04:48 PM

Hello Bobbit. It's been a while since we last communicated in May.
We have stayed at Birikos but that was a few years ago. At the time it was a nice hotel by Naxos standards and since then they have added the pool.
For me the decision to stay out on the Coast beaches of Prokopius Annia and Plaka has always been one of what do you really like to do. I know this is down time for you so if you want to do nothing other than lay on the breach, then this is the place to go.
However we got bored with beaching 24 - 7 when we stayed at Birikos and we found we really missed the activities at Naxos town. The village of Aggia Prokopus is very limited with a choice of a few tavernas.
Naxos town has a good beach, lots of shopping and antiquities an active waterfront and a wide choice of Tavernas. We would spend a couple of hours a day just wandering around the maze of streets and the old market each morning and then head out to the beach for a couple of hours.
At the coast beaches, if you want to get into town you have to take a taxi or bus or rent a car. From St Geroge beach in Naxos town you can enjoy a long late diner and stroll back to your hotel.
For those days you really want a great beach then take the bus out to Plaka. It costs 2.2 euro for two.
Last June we wanted to find a nice value priced hotel ar St George Beach and we found Hotel Spiros. The owner took us on a tour of the property. It is about 50 meters from St George beach with a pool and a sea view and is just a nice as Birikos. I believe in May it was 40 Euros per night with a kitchenette. www.hotel-spiros-naxos.gr if you would like to see more.
By the way the area at Procopus has marshes and one night in May we entertained ourselves killing hundreds of mosquuitos that had invaded our room. We had made the mistake of leaving the windows open and lights on in the evening. There were no bugs during the day.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Stnbr

As I mentioned in my original post I had thought about staying in town, but when we looked at how our trip was playing out, we felt that some down time was what we wanted on naxos. We are quite used to staying off the beaten path on our vacations, although I do agree it is nice to have the town atmosphere close by. My husband would be happy sitting on a beach 24/7 reading a book for a week, however I would like the mix of beach and a town close by. This sounds like a good compromise. I'll do some further research on it and check out prices. Thanks for the tip!!!
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Stnbr

What about the Alkyoni. do you have any info on that one...heard many reviews?
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 04:23 PM

To be honest I do not recognize this hotel at all. From the pictures it would appear to be at thr far end of St George beach. Probably a little further along than Spiros. Thats Ok though it will still be a easy walk into town.
The pictures look nice and I would say it is probably prettier than Spiros. On the other hand it is more expensive and it doesn't have a kitchenette