Search

Naxos or Paros?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naxos or Paros?

I have gotten so much good advice for our first trip to Greece in September from this forum but I have one more question.....if you had to pick between 3 nights in Naxos or Paros what would you pick?

We have 2 nights in Athens / 4 nights in Santorini / 3 nights in Paros or Naxos / 3 nights in Mykonos

Thank you!!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 09:58 AM

We just returned from Greece. We went to Athens, Naxos, Paros and Santorini. Our favorite overall island that we visited was Naxos. It was just a great mix of historic sites, mountains, beaches, interesting villages and culture. We also did enjoy Paros, and it might be a better choice since you only have three nights. It's smaller than Naxos and we did a coastal drive around Paros with lots of photo stops in about 2 hours. (we thought 5 nights in Naxos was perfect and 4 nights in Paros was perfect) Sorry, I guess I'm not being much help! You will have a great time at either island!

Let me know if you have any specific questions about either island.

(I wrote a review and posted pictures if you're interested, just click on my name and it should come up)
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:22 AM

I have been to Naxos 6 times and Paros twice. We do enjoy Paros but Naxos is our Island of choice. The town is larger and has more historic sights. There are lovely villages and the beaches on Naxos are unbeatable.

I have just posted our Pictures from our recent trip to Greece as well. Since we spent 2 weeks on Naxos I have lots of pictures if you want to get better acquainted with what the Island has to offer.

www.webshots.com go to community page and find member. lollypeter100 The album is Naxos Greece 2006. There are 82 picturs there.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 12:35 PM

Having heard that Mykonos is an expensive town with lots of partying young people, I'd skip Mykonos and go to both Naxos and Paros. But that's just my preference.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 12:49 PM
GBC

I agree with the tone of the replies above. I feel Naxos is a winner. It is a great island and it makes a great contrast to Santorini. Be sure to rent a car and explore it - especially the beaches. Be sure to keep you camera ready for the sunsets. Those on Santorini are wonderful, but when we were there, the sunsets on Naxos were even better.
If I were faced with this choice I would probably follow Mirmar's advice, skip Mykonos and enjoy Paros.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:12 PM

Six of one, half-dozen of the other, as they say in England, I go to Paros every year, but immediately hop on the ferry to Antiparos. I occasionally go to Naxos, stay in the chora, and bus to the beaches, which improve the further you get away from town.

Naxos is the larger of the two, but most of the activity is centered in one small area around Naxos Town and the beaches to the south. Paros is divided between Parikia, the main port, Naoussa, a charming fishing village, and other small resorts, eg Aliki, Piso Livadi, etc. Both have interesting inland villages.

Others may disagree, but I would opt for Naxos if beaches are your priority, flip a coin if sightseeing is your priority.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:37 PM

Let me add that, IMO, if you combine Antiparos with Paros, the two have an edge over Naxos for sightseeing. Many Paros visitors take a day trip to Antiparos to see the cave, and to stroll through the beautiful village up to the kastro (castle) off the town square. Paros itself has many interesting sights, including the Church of 100 Doors, ancient cemetary, the village of Lefkes, and some ruined temples which you have to search for, but are worth the effort.