Naxos or Mykonos?

Search

Naxos or Mykonos?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naxos or Mykonos?

Hi! I am leaving for athens with my fiance next week and spending 4 days after Athens in Santorini. I have another 3 days to spend on another island before returning to Athens for 2 days and back home to NYC. I was originally thinking Mykonos, but I started researching Naxos which looks nice and less of a touristy spot/set-up. I like beaches, will probably rent a car whichever island we go to, and plan to drive around. The scenery may be nicer in Naxos? We do like to go out so some nightlife is important (nothing fancy though, just don't want to be completely isolated). We do live in NYC and get out a lot here, so scenery/delicious food are the biggest priorities. Since we will be there mid-may, will the beaches be too cold to enjoy? I was also thinking Naxos since I imagine Santorini will be rather touristy, so it might be nice to enjoy a more authentic island? This is just a guess since I haven't been to any of these islands. Thank you in advance for the recs!!
Lauren
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 08:32 PM

Both are nice, but in different ways. I do think of the two, Naxos offers the bigger contrast to Santorini, and once you leave Naxos Town, it gets pretty traditional very quick. Naxos Town itself does offer nightlife and great food BUT a fraction of what Mykonos is famous for. What it does have to offer is miles and miles of scenic coastline, wild and somewhat rugged interior, and a much more relaxed feel.

As to May weather, it can go either way. I did my last trip in that month and it ranged from the high 80F's down to the low 70's. We even got a day or two of rain (out of 3 weeks). May is a great time to avoid crowds and especially so if you like hiking and such. Rent a scooter and spend a fantastic day seeing the interior. Late afternoon lunch and beer in Apolonas can't be beat.

Regards, Bruce
Greece Travel Photos -- http://www.brucegcollier.com/galleri...level2_clr.htm
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 07:12 AM

Bruce has described Naxos quite well.

I guess another consideration is what is your budget. Naxos accommodation and dining is considerably less expensive than Mykonos.

Anyway here are some Naxos pictures. Perhaps they will help you decide.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/570796960FtMsPF
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 07:44 AM

I haven't visited Naxos yet, though it's on my list! Mykonos is party central in the summer months with heavy crowds, although mid-May should be significantly quieter.

I think for your tastes and interests, Naxos sounds like a better fit. And it will be a lot cheaper, too.

As for weather, we visited Greece last May, (Santorini, Athens) and had beautiful sunny days, but water too chilly for swimming.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 08:11 AM

Naxos would be my vote as well - the beaches are stunningly beautiful and wide and the interior of the island is a different world with acres upon acres of olive trees. You'll have some great food there as well.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

thank you for the input! I suppose if we are going to miss the famous nightlife of mykonos by going in May, we should check out the beauty of naxos then. Mykonos is not known for being a beautiful island, is that correct? As for eating in Naxos, any suggestions? Also, are there any wineries? or olive oil "tasting" opportunities? And will there be any issues with language once we get to the more traditional/rural areas of naxos?
Thanks again!
Lauren
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 09:38 AM

My experience has been that most Greeks speak English very fluently, in fact better than in many other European countries. This was true for us in fairly rural areas of Crete, as well as interior sections of Rhodes. Can't say what your experience will be like exactly in rural areas of Naxos.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 08:13 PM

For dining try Taverna to Kastro just below the outer walls of the Kastro in Naxosw Town. Great view, good food inexpensive and our favorite taverna.

While it is true you could run into somone who doesn't speak English most Greeks have some English and sign language gestures and grunts work pretty well. We have run into a couple of situations in the remote villages of Naxos where English was not spoken but that made it even more of an adventure.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 08:39 AM

Mykonos is a wonderful island especially in May without the crowds,
http://www.in2greece.com/blog/2007/0...in-greece.html
Old May 1st, 2009, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

thank you for the responses! I think we are leaning towards naxos, but are going to wait and decide until we get to santorini and then see where our whims take us. I know the hotels we are considering on both have plenty of room- The Rochari on Mykonos and the Naxos Kavos Hotel in Naxos.
Thanks again!
Lauren
Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:37 PM

Not a bad plan at all. You may decide not to leave Santorini.