Balearic islands worth the effort?

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Balearic islands worth the effort?

Planning first trip to Spain and I am wondering if those islands are worth the excursion. I have 2+-3 weeks and I want to def. see barcelona, seville, granada, madrid and I'm spending time w/ relatives 4-5 days, near almeria/mojacar (southern coast). I'm traveling solo and would like to get city, beach, museums, quiet cafe time and nightlife.

Is going to Balearic islands worth the effort? If so, which island? I've heard a number of friends (in 30's and 60'S) love Ibizia. Is this a place to go if you're a female alone in late 30's? I've heard mixed reviews from it's just a party town-lots of drugs etc. What's the average age of people frequenting nightclubs there? How easy and comfortable is it to go out alone on these islands or in Spain for that matter? Would locals think this is odd for a single woman out on the town? Or are most of these clubs mobbed w/ tourists anyway in the summer? Is the nightlife/beaches on the Balearic islands similar to the mainland cities? Any other advice feel free to banter...

Thanks so much!
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it is just one island it is definitely Mallorca. Palma is great, and villages in Sierra Tramuntana are charming.

But you have only 2 to 3 weeks, and mainland swallows that easily. Just Madrid and Barcelona take easily a week each.