National Geographic’s Swiss Alps train tour and Lake Como

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2023, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been on the National Geographic Swiss trains and Italy’s Lake District tour? I am particularly interested in hearing about if anyone went who has a fear of heights. I do, but am okay with enclosed transportation though not walking steep hills or steps with no railings mentioned in the section on what to expect. Is there a way around this?

Old Aug 11th, 2023, 09:12 PM

Hi eliztlong,

I know you are looking for folks who have done this specific tour --

But if you give us the itinerary of the tour and the wording on "what to expect," we may be able to address your questions.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Old Aug 14th, 2023, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Here’s description of day that says take train to site and hike back. VIEW PHOTOSClimb aboard the Gornergrat Bahn cogwheel railway, the highest train in Europe, and ascend to a summit far above Zermatt to experience one of the best viewpoints in the Alps. Admire a gorgeous vista that includes Monte Rosa, the Matterhorn and the Gorner Glacier. Hike down past Alpine lakes to Riffelberg and catch the train back to Zermatt. Pay a visit to the Matterhorn Museum, where a local mountaineer and Alpine historian will recount stories of early attempts to conquer the Matterhorn, as well as other climbing adventures.

What is hiking down to Roffelberg like from a summit far above Zermatt like? Sloping or steep?
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 04:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This seems to be the hike you're describing:

https://www.earthtrekkers.com/gorner...-hike-zermatt/

But I think you should pose your questions to someone connected to the tour (probably not National Geographic but a tour company they have lent their brand name for a fee). I'd also want to know the alternative if the weather makes the hike unappealing or potentially dangerous or if you're just not up to it that day.

FWIW, it seems to be downhill all the way. Downhill hiking is harder on the knees.
Old Aug 17th, 2023, 12:03 PM

Gornergrat is not the highest railway station in Switzerland.
The trail down via Lake Riffelsee to Riffelberg is very popular (families, kids and dogs), but it goes down 500 metres nevertheless (nothing for people with knee problems!)