Narrow Boat - right, left, up or down?

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Shawn

Narrow Boat - right, left, up or down?

We have a narrow boat holiday coming up in late September and early October (7 days) out of Nottingham. My research has shown that we will need to choose between the following routes: the River Trent to the East, the Trent and Merset Canal to the West, the Erewash Canal to the North or the River Soar / GU Leicester to the South. I would sincerely appreciate any input as to which way might be the best choice. We do not intend to get too far down the way as we will also be spending a day or two hiking in the Peak District. I have read that the T&M is nice in the Shardlow area. Any input?

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:53 AM
meg

It's a while since I last had a canal holiday and I don't have detailed knowledge of the canals in the Nottingham area but there used to be guide books in a series known as 'Nicholson's" Try Amazon.com for details or would the boat hire people help??

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Judy

There is a funny but informative article on Times about boating on Trent & Mersey: Timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,155-334669/00.html

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 09:51 AM
xxx

Starboard, port, fore, and aft, surely? Enjoy your trip!

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 10:24 AM
KT

Maybe you already know this site, but it has lots of narrowboating links and information including a forum:

http://www.canals.com/index.htm

Maybe somebody there could help.