Munich: Day trips

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:51 AM
MBurns

Munich: Day trips

I will soon be spending a few days in Munich, near the airport, and would like to take a day trip or two via bus or train. Perhaps to somewhere within an hour or two. Would someone be kind enough to recommend a destination. Something simple preferred because of health limitations.

Thanks much,

Madelaine

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:56 AM
Paige

Salzburg is about 2 hours (from the center of town) away by train. It's a lovely little city and a great place to spend a day.

Passau is a nice little town, about 2 hours away by train.

The longest castle in Europe is in Burghausen, 2 hours away by train.

One of my favorite places nearby is Mittenwald, less than 2 hours away by train. It's a beautiful little town surrounded by big mountains. I prefer it to Garmisch for just poking around town.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Notsure

Dachau
Zugspitze ...sure it's the top of a mountain but there's no major climbing to do! Just a train and a gondola lift.
Oberammergau
Linderhof
...these are just a few!

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Russ

Andechs Monastery enjoys a spectacular hilltop setting just southwest of Munich near the Ammersee Lake. With its monk-brewed beer, traditional German food, heavenly pretzels, and its superb view from the outdoor terrace (almost forgot - there's also a very pretty chapel there), it's a popular outing for many locals and tourists. You take the S-bahn from Munich out to Herrsching (maybe 30-40 min.), then hike up a well-trod trail from there (this is the traditional German method of getting there, but you can also take a bus or taxi from Herrsching.)

If you want to make an entire day of it, see Andechs in the morning and early afternoon, then take the paddlewheel ferry from Herrsching across the Ammersee to the little town of Diessen on the other side, where there are a few low-level walking/sunbathing/sightseeing thrills (the views of the monastery and the surrounding countryside from the ferry are great.) From there, you can ferry back the way you came or take the train via a different route back to Munich.

Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau Castles (near Füssen) are two hours south of Munich by train. Once in Füssen, a connecting bus takes you to the castle area, where you hike to the entrance.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:39 AM
MBurns

Thanks so much everyone. Great tips.

Madelaine

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Byrd

Hi- We took a very nice bus tour from Munich to Neuschwanstein, Linderhof, and Oberammergau. We were picked up from and delivered to our hotel. I don't remember the name of the company, but your hotel can probably help with information.