Naples train station

Jul 23rd, 2006, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Naples train station

Hello all,

I'm planning a 3-day stay in Naples and all of the affordable places seem to be around train station. (actually some of them aren't even that inexpensive). I associate train station with lousy neighborhoods and I'm just wondering what the area around there is like. I'm from NYC so I'm use to busy, crowded, noisy but I still want to be safe. One place that looks nice but not too close was the Hotel San Pietro. Any advice deeply appreciated

Theresa
Jul 23rd, 2006, 09:51 PM

Yes, the area around the train station is like an area around a train station. I met some friends in the lobby of one right across the street and it seemed like it was for businessmen. It wasn't bad, if you are from NYC it is about what you would expect, there are nicer areas.
Jul 24th, 2006, 02:54 AM
bellastarr

Hi theresmary-
I'm from New York City too, and also work in a building right above Penn Station.
As you know, we also have Grand Central Station here. I have been to Naples a few times. Naples is not NY, but the area around the Station is more like Penn Sta than Grand Central.
Also, When You leave the Station, there is an extensive area just beyone the entrance where taxis, and cars pickup arrivals.
I found that the excellent street skills and instincts I have learned from being a long time resident of NY were very useful and enabled me to take responsibility for my own personal safety in Naples, so that my various solo excursions were not really that stressful. I adore Naples, and have sometimes wondered if it's because I am from NY.
Never been to the Hotel San Pietro.
FYI- there's a great film festival that comes to NYC every year from Naples called "the 49th Parallel" (based on the fact that that both Naples and NYC are geographically on the 49th Parallel, so we are sister cities in that respect...
Hope you have a great time!
Here's a good blog that might be of interest...

http://www.napoli.com/english/blog

Jul 24th, 2006, 03:49 AM

The area in front of the station in Naples is definitely to be avoided at night - more so than anywhere else I've been.

What is your budget ? I recently stayed at thge Hotel Executive which had standard doubles for €104pn & superior doubles at €114 pn (in May/June). It's at the opposite end of the centro storico from piazza Garibaldi, quite near the main ferry port, very convenient for walking most places & for buses where necessary.

I booked it through www.venere.com - have you looked at that ? You can narrow your search down by area & sort by price. I researched various options starting with the comments on Venere & cross-checking with Tripadvisor.
Jul 24th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Hi

Was Venere.com reputable. I've seen it but wasn't familar. And SeaUrchin, I also work near Penn Station so that reference really helped. Where did you stay?

Thanks to all

Theresa
Jul 24th, 2006, 04:50 AM
ira

Hi T,

>..all of the affordable places seem to be around train station.

What's your budget?

www.venere.com is reliable.

Also check out the properties at http://www.albergosansevero.it/

Jul 24th, 2006, 04:52 AM

Ira, I looked at the Sansevero properties as they were in an old guide I've got (Karen Brown ? Sawday ?); but then I discounted them as I came across some awful reviews - maybe on Tripadvisor ?
Jul 24th, 2006, 05:35 AM

The area around the Naples train station is MUCH WORSE than the area around Penn Station, which I know like the back of my hand. You'd have to imagine everything around Penn Station being like 11th Avenune at 2 am to get the right feeling. There is a lot of very visible drug dealing, pimping and prostitution in that area, as well as a general atmosphere of unpredictability and crime. Think 42d Street in the 1980s, without any police presence worth mentioning.

I stayed in the Mercure near the Naples train station and very much wished I'd stayed elsewhere in Naples. You'll not be planning any evening strolls in your neighborhood if you stay in that area.

Check out the Slow Travel website for B&B options (including doing a search of their message boards). I think if you go with a B&B in the historic districts away from the train station (and around the theatre) you will find something affordable and pleasant.
Jul 24th, 2006, 05:39 AM

By the way, Theresa, I want to add that I really loved Naples and can't wait to return! It's a marvelous place that should not be judged by the area around the train station at all.

If you gave me an all-expense paid trip to Italy, the first place I'd choose to go is Naples -- so don't let my urging you to stay out of the train station area discourage you. And despite the depressing, dirty and sordid atmosphere of the train station area, it's not actually dangerous as are many isolated neighborhoods and streets in New York.
Jul 24th, 2006, 05:41 AM
ira

Hi CE,

We stayed at the Albergo Sansevero in 2003 and found it acceptable for the price.

It's been closed since then.

The other properties are recently renovated.

I'd check TA rather than relying on old guide books. They are out of date the day they are published.

Jul 24th, 2006, 06:11 AM
bellastarr

theresamary-
I think you mixed up my response and seaurchin's. I live in NYC and work abouve Penn Sta- she is from LA.

I would trust nessundorma's advice on this because she actually stayed in a place near the Naples station- which I did not, and would not. So she would have direct experience of what it's like at night-

Jul 24th, 2006, 06:19 AM

Another reply on www.venere.com I have used them many times and always with great luck.

The Naples train station, especially at night, can be a little seedy, but it didn't deter me from taking a train to/from Naples in the late evening. It just has an overall feeling of stealth and deception to me, but I was never frightened, per se. Just wary and cautious.

Jul 24th, 2006, 06:36 AM

I truly believe that that area around Naples train station looks to be the worst train-station area when compared with those in other major Italian cities.

I suggest you cough-up a few bucks and try for a better area.

Oh, and I'm from NYC, too. In my view, even the Penn Station area (as undesirable as it already is) looks to be better/safer than the Naples train station area.
Jul 24th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Pausanias

Let's say that the Penn Station area might have come to resemble the area around Napoli Centrale after a third Dinkins' administration.

Jul 24th, 2006, 06:55 AM

Let's not say that, Pausinias, since a lot of us real New Yorkers are very ready to tell the rest of America just what a creep Rudy Giuliani is.

Jul 24th, 2006, 07:10 AM

Ira - er, that is what I did. Heard of them first in an old guidebook, then checked the tripadvisor, Venere, etc websites for recent reviews - and based on those, rejected them.

I also read the accommodation sections in each of the 18 up to date guidebooks covering Naples in my local bookshop, noted hotels which sounded promising - then checked the website reviews.
Jul 24th, 2006, 07:11 AM

Oh and for the OP : I should also say that we loved Naples - a week wasn't long enough !
Jul 24th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Pausanias

Nessie --

While temporarily exiled to New England, I assure you I am a real born and bred New Yorker eagerly anticipating my return.

I'm no great fan of Rudy, but I lived through the city self-destructing under Ed and Dave. I only wish I'd bought real estate then.

I thought Dinkins a courtly gentleman, but not an effective mayor.

"Real New Yorkers" -- laughing out loud at your presumption and pomposity.

Jul 24th, 2006, 08:46 AM

Pausinias,

When you get back, you might notice things that change your mind and cause you to regret your words. Apologies accepted in advance.
Jul 24th, 2006, 09:18 AM
bellastarr

I so agree with wanderlust.

Actually-in NYC- the area around Port Authority Bus terminal is the absolute seediest!!

As for Times Sq. in the 80s, in spite of nessundorma's comments-to be honest, ever since they went Disney on us, I kind of miss the old seedy one-
I shared a painting studio with some other artist friends there for a couple of years in the 80s when Yuppies invaded Tribeca and priced so many of us out of the lofts we built. We must have missed something because none of us had any mishaps the whole time. All three of us enjoyed some of our best, most creative years there!
Not sure I can qualify as a "real" New Yorker" though- I've only lived in Manhattan since 1979.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO