Search

Naples to Positano: the FAST Way

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2004, 02:19 PM
GAC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples to Positano: the FAST Way

What's the FASTEST way to get from Naples to Positano? By non-stop hydrofoil, of course!

From April 23 through the end of September (subject to cancellation due to poor sea conditions and seasonal adjustments), departures from Naples-Molo Beverello at 8:50 and 13:45. Returns from Positano at 12:15 and 17:35. Travel time one hour. One way fare 8 Euros. www.metrodelmare.com

There is also year-round DIRECT (no change) bus service by SITA, departing Naples (Monday through Saturday) at 8:45 and 9:10, return from Positano departing at 17:45. Travel time two hours (bus goes through Sorrento)
www.sita-on-line.it

If these schedules are inconvenient, there is the "traditional" way to get to Positano: Circumvesuviana commuter train from Napoli Centrale train station to Sorrento (travel time 65 mins., departures every 30 mins), connecting to SITA bus from Sorrento train station to Positano (travel time 45 mins., departures roughly hourly).

There is also hydrofoil service between Naples-Molo Beverello and Sorrento, and between Sorrento and Positano, but schedules are more limited, and fare is more expensive, compared to the land route. Taking the direct hydrofoil is much preferable.

www.vesuviana.it (Circumvesuviana schedules)
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 03:16 PM

I just returned from a 3-week long trip to Europe that included this Naples to Positano journey, and I can highly recommend the Metro del Mare hydrofoil service. It's a great way to arrive in Positano! Not to mention very cheap - only about 10 euros total per person to get from the Naples airport to the Positano dock.

After landing at the Naples airport, we took the public bus to Molo Beverello - about a 15-20 minute ride. It was only a euro or 2, much cheaper than the 20 euro cab ride (at least that was the price we were quoted by the taxis waiting outside the airport). Once we arrived at the Molo Beverello port, it was very easy to find the Metro del Mare ticket counter and buy our tickets for the hydrofoil to Positano. It was pretty easy for us to figure out, even though we speak barely any Italian.

Btw, I think the last departure from Molo Beverello is 2:15pm. We planned to take the 1:45pm departure but missed that one and left at 2:15.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 03:17 PM

Just be careful in Naples and don't wear any jewelry.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 03:18 PM

As a follow-up to my previous message - I meant that the entire journey cost about 10 euros per person. The Metro del Mare hydrofoil was 8 euros per person, and the bus ride from the Naples airport to the port at Molo Beverello was about a euro and change. I'm sure for anyone arriving in Naples via train, there is a bus ride from the train station to Molo Beverello at comparable cost.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 03:26 PM

Follow-up number 2: I want to thank everyone on the board for giving me input on getting from Naples to Positano and convincing me that I could do it without hiring a private driver.

Now that I know how easy it is and how nice and scenic the hydrofoil service was, I am very glad I didn't shell out 90-100 euros to hire a driver. I'm sure it's nice if you have the money, but I would rather spend that 100 euros dining and downing limoncellos at the poolside bar at the Hotel Poseidon!