naples to pompeii to positano

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're taking the overnight train from venice to naples, and arrive at about 10am. We are spending the next 4 nights at the hotel miramare in positano. We would like to see pompeii in this time.

From looking at these boards, it seems to me that it might be easiest to see pompeii on the day of our arrival.

Is this a possibility? I was thinkin we would take the train to pompeii, leave our luggage there (Question: is this safe?), and hopefully take a taxi from pompeii to positano? (Are there taxi's there? how much would it cost?) Would the taki be alot cheaper if we took the train from pompeii to sorento and took a taxi from there to positano?

Or should we just do it all another day? It seemed like it was sort of "on the way". Thanks in advance for your help (We're leaving for italy in 2 weeks!)
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:04 AM
ira

Hi,

You take the Circumvesuviana (CV) train from the Naples train station to Pompeii. You can leave your luggage at the entrance to Pompeii.

You then take the CV to Sorrento. From Sorrento you can take the SITA bus to Positano. This is the least expensive.

For about 100E you can hire a driver to take you from Naples to Pompeii and your hotel.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:30 AM

Ira is totally correct. You can see Pompeii is two to three hours. If you take a taxi from Sorrento to Positano, it will be a fortune. For some reason taxis there are a extremely expensive. If you hire a driver you will save.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:58 AM
ira

PS,

If you hire a driver, you should get about 2 hr in Pompeii while the car waits.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 07:06 AM

If you want a limo from Sorrento to Positano it's best to pre-book rather than go to the taxi rank. For a quote try

www.sorrento.it (S. Astarita)

Last year they quoted € 42.00

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 01:29 PM

I go to Pompeii each time I go to the Amalfi Coast. We use Flavio Gioia auto service. They take us to Pompeii, wait for us, and then on we go! They have also taken us to the museum in Naples on the return to the Naples train station. This is the way to go if it is within your budget.

I would like to hear more about the Miramare on your return.
Have a great trip!
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 06:33 PM

We are staying in Sorrento for 4 days and I am wondering if it would be better for us to take a day trip to Pompeii and return to Sorrento for the night or stop at Pompeii for a few hours and continue on to Naples for our flight home the next day. Is it safe to leave our luggage at the entrance to the ruins as someone suggested?
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:06 AM
ira

Hi aneckc,

If I didn't have a lot of luggage I would visit Pompeii on the way back to Naples. This gives you a day to see something else on the AC.

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 04:52 AM

It may just be me, but after an overnight train ride the last thing I want to do is spend 4-5 hours wandering Pompeii in my same clothes....I would save this for the morning of your last day, and do it on the way to the train station. If you hire a car and driver in posistano, he will wait for you and keep your luggage. The lockers at Pompeii looked OK to me, but I don't have any first hand experience.

I thougth the audiotape guide to Pompeii was excellent, and you can do it at your own pace rather than running after a guide who may or may not take you to sites you are interested in. Take a look at the website and do some reading beforehand to determine what interests you, the site is very large, and many people don't make it out to the collisium. The NY Times did a great article in the summer of 2002 on a day trip to Popmpeii with restaurant recommendations as well; run a search here as I think someone recently gave the date and/or link to the article.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 12:02 PM

Hi Wandering Texan. Can you please advise how much Flavio Gioia auto service charged to take you back and forth from Naples to Pompeii? I've heard Pompeii can be reached easily by train from Naples. My husband and I will be in Naples mid-October and then then Amalfi Coast. We are trying to decide whether or not to rent a car.

If you can recommend one of the waterfront hotels in Naples, that would be great too!
Many thanks
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 12:11 PM

You should do a bit of research before deciding that you can see Pompeii in two hours or four hours. For a great many people, that would be a very frustrating experience, a bit like seeing New York in a day.

You should especially do that research before arranging to pay 100 euros for a private driver. It may be that you would rather give Pompeii an entire day once you are in Positano.

I will tell you I've been in Positano and as pretty as a hillside town is over the Mediterranean, I have no intention of ever returning. But I hope to go back to Pompeii for several days,
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 12:44 PM

Hi!

I also disagree on seeing Pompeii in 2-3 hours. It all depends on your interest and stamina. My first vist was 2 1/2 hours, the second was 4 1/2, and I still didn't see everything I would have liked!

Buon viaggio!