positano to rome

Aug 7th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

positano to rome

My husband, daughter and I are planning to visit Pompeii on our way from Positano to Rome . Should we rent a car on our last day in Positano to make the trip, or take a driver/guide to Pompeii, then to Naples Train station for the train to Rome. My concern is the roads and driving into Rome.
Aug 7th, 2007, 11:12 AM

If you can afford the splurge, I would get a driver (approx 100 euros just for the Positano to Naples transfer, not including a detour to Pompeii). The train trip to Rome is not too long and was scenic. We drove into Rome (from Tuscany) and it did not find it a problem, but my husband is a good driver and I am a good navigator. But I would not have wanted to drive on the Amalfi Coast.
Aug 7th, 2007, 11:46 AM
ira

Hi E,

I don't think that there are car rentals in Positano.

You can take the SITA bus to Meta or Sorrento and the Circumvesuviana train to Pompei Scavi.

There is luggage storage at the entrance to the ruins.

You then take the CV train to Naples Garibaldi. The train to Rome is upstairs at Naples Centrale.

Aug 8th, 2007, 03:20 AM

Hi Ethel - A limo/taxi transfer - with a stop in Pompeii en route to Naples - will be very expensive as you will be paying for the driver to sit and wait at Pompeii.

If you have several days in Positano it really makes more sense to visit Pompeii from there.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Aug 8th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Yes, is appears that we would have to go to Sorrento to rent the car, which isn't worth it, time wise to us, since we didn't really plan to see Sorrento. I initially thought that we may take a day trip up to Pompeii, but with only 3 days on the Amalfi Coast, I didn't want to spend so much time in traffic! We will be there August 16-19--mostly weekend (very busy time, I know!). Any thoughts on how long the trip would take returning in the afternoon from Pompeii-Positano on a weekend?
Aug 9th, 2007, 12:57 AM

Ethel - If you don't want to see Sorrento, you could spend a morning in Pompeii - and return along the Amalfi Coast from Salerno by ferry in the afternoon.

In August it's best to go early to miss the traffic.

If I were you I'd catch the 07.10 or 07.55* Sorrento bus to Meta station (- 25 mins) - then train (- Circumvesuviana) to Pompeii Scavi (- 30 mins).

* N.B The 07.55 bus doesn't run on Sundays.

That way you can visit Pompeii early - before it gets too hot.

From Pompeii (- FS mainline station) you could then return to Salerno by train (- 20 mins) at lunchtime, and continue by ferry.

For Pompeii-Salerno trains times:
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

That way you could spend the afternoon on the Amalfi Coast - Amalfi/Ravello perhaps?

For ferries Salerno-Amalfi-Positano see:

http://www.salernocity.com/comune/tr.../costiera2.asp

Journey times by ferry are:

Salerno-Positano: 70 mins, OR

Salerno-Amalfi: 35 mins
Amalfi-Positano: 25 mins

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Aug 9th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

thank you, Steve. Your suggestions are very helpful