Naples-Pompeii

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 07:58 PM
Sharon

Naples-Pompeii

Have 1 day in Naples (on a cruise)..I am undecided about 2 tours, 1 is to Pompeii only but lasts only 4 hrs. That doesn't seem to be long enough to see Pompeii..The other is a 9 1/2 hr tour of Pompeii, quick stop in Sorrento and then Amalfi Drive..My 14 yr old neice is very interested in Pompeii. Would it be better to see Pompeii on our own? Thanks.

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 08:35 PM
Dayle

Yes, see it on your own. If you really enjoy that type of thing (and I do) you will be able to spend a whole day there. They have different, self-guilded walking tours according to how much time you have. It's amazing. I understand the Archeological Museum in Naples is also outstanding, but haven't seen it myself yet.

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 02:02 AM
Jo

I bought a guide book on my way in (lots of different ones to choose from) and spent an enjoyable day ambling around taking in the breath taking sights. We finished it up with a quick hike up Mt Vesuvius. I don't think I would want to do a tour there. 4 hours is too short. 9 hours would be too tiring - too much to take in and appreciate and one time. Pompeii is an amazing experience! Enjoy.

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 07:06 AM
Paulo

I'd say do it on your own. The trip back and forth to Naples + waiting time shouldn't take much more than 1:30 hours. IMO, 4 hours on the ruins site is quite enough, specially if you're going in the heat of summer. On the other hand, a visit to Pompei is by no means complete without a visit to the Archaelogical Museum. After all, it's there where all the goodies are, enabling one to really have a feel what life was in those times. If you leave early, you'll be able to visit both sites with ease.
Paulo

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 04:00 PM
Sharon

Any opinions of my 2nd option which is a tour of Pompeii (via Autostrada from Naples), a short stay with lunch in Sorrento and Amalfi Drive?.This tour is 9 1/2 hrs. If you had to choose 1 tour would you take this tour or the one to Pompeii only or go on you own to Pompeii. Is the Autostrada a train? Thanks

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 04:42 PM
Al

I just don't understand all you people. You're supposed to be healthy inquisitive travelers who want to see the interesting and illuminating things that travel has to offer, however, you all seem to avoid Naples like the plague. Let me tell you all; you're missing one of the truly amazing places on this Earth by avoiding Napoli. If you all want to go to a sterile, predictable environ, don't go to Naples. If you want to go somewhere with a wealth of sights, food establishments, music,fantastic people, a place with a zest for living, and a truly memorable experience, by all means, you must go to Naples. I'm sick and tired of Naples getting a bad rap throughout all the travel boards and magazines. The fact that it is given a bad press proves to me the shallowness of those people that don't take the time or effort to really get to see Naples as it really is. I've been going there for 12 years now, and I can honestly say that it is one of the best places in which to spend my vacations.

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 06:39 PM
Dianne Estes

Sharon,
Was just in Pompei 5 days ago. We took the 4 hour tour to there from Sorrento. It was utterly fascinating! Just be sure to have a guide or you will miss interesting details. I agree that time spent at the archeological museum in Naples after Pompei tour would really round it out nicely. Sorry we were not able to do that as well.
If you have time for lunch in Sorrento a suggestion is o'Parrucchiano. It is near the Lucky Store. The setting is pretty and the Pizza there is to die for!
A rule I try to follow is; don't try to do too much in one day. Have fun and enjoy,whatever you decide!

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 05:33 AM
Walter

Hi Sharon, I have taken the Cs train from Naples (train station) to Pompeii/Herculaneum a couple of times. The Cs train is a commuter train that runs between Naples and Sorrento, that stops at Herculaneum (15min) and Pompeii (35min) and Sorrento (~1hr). The trains run every half-hour and will say "Sorrento" on it. (this is guidebook info below) I would take a taxi from the ship to "Stazione Circumvesuviana" (3-5km). What time and for how long is your ship in port? I'll assume ~12hrs starting at 7/8am. See both Pompeii and Herculaneum, Go to Pompeii 1st spend 4-5hrs, take the Cs train heading back to Naples but get off at the Ercolano (Herculaneum) stop in ~20min. Walk or taxi 500m to the site, spend 2hr (say 3-5pm) and then either take the Cs train back to Naples or just take a taxi from Ercolano to the ship (~15km, guessing ~$20+USD). Perhaps you could arrange this with a taxi driver at the Cs station, to met you at the site at whatever time you plan on leaving? HTH Regards, Walter

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 11:45 AM
Paulo

Sharon: Autostrada means that the bus goes the quick, less scenic, way
I would do Pompei on my own and go back to Naples as soon as possible. Then I would sit in a restaurant and have a tasty lunch (much better than eating crap in the cafeteria atr Pompei), think about how I feel at the moment and decide what to do next (to complete the Pompei journey with the museum, to visit Capodimente or simply to enjoy the rest of my stay strolling either around Spacca Napoli (the old town) or the city centre.

Al: Regarding your comments about Naples, I agree with you 100% (I do have a cousin that lives there, go visit her whenever I can and enjoy the city and people very much). But Sharon has a niece that is interested in Pompei ... don't you agree it would be kind of strange to try to talk her out of it, instead of trying to answer her queston? Pompei and Naples play in different leagues ... unless one is an archaeologist, 4 hours in Pompei + 2 in the Museum (IMO the museum should have priority over Ercolano), which eventually is in Naples, would take care of one. Even a month could be insufficient for the other (I, for one, spent a total of 7 days there on different occasions, and haven't scratched the surface yet)!

Paulo

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 12:15 PM
Leslie

My 14 year old son and I recently visited Pompeii. We spent about 3 hours altogether, which for me was not enough, but for him was plenty. Keep in mind that it will probably be extremely hot. I really think 4 hours will be enough for a 14 year old. If you go on your own, I would recommend hiring a guide (you can split the cost with other English speakers)--the tours last about 1 1/2 hours--then exploring on your own. Seems like the 9 1/2 hour tour would be way too long.

By the way, Pompeii was the highlight of our trip, for me. Absolutely fascinating! Have fun!

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 01:24 PM
Anne

I agree with Leslie. I was just there and we loved having an English-speaking guide in Pompei. It is much bigger than you can imagine and a guide adds so much to the experience!